Mega Drive. Yeah!

33 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I just won an unboxed Mega Drive one on eBay. First time I've owned one (I had a Mega Drive 2, many many years ago but didn't use it much). 

Going to make a little collection of games that are interesting to me. With most systems that tends to mean RPGs and adventure games but with the Mega Drive I look at it a bit differently as it was the first (imo) "blockbuster" system that started to position video games as a sort of entertainment/lifestyle trend that went deeper than them just being either a geeky hobbyist thing or a toy. 

So what I'm looking for is titles that are sort of culturally relevant to the time. Like movie tie-ins or licensed stuff like Castle of Illusion.

I'm not really looking at the first party stuff so much, most of that I've played to death on emulators and re-releases. Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and all that. 

I'm also going to pick up interesting RPGs and adventures when I find them. I know point n clickers like Monkey Island came out on the Mega CD, but were there ever any attempts at this sort of game on cartridge? And what are the good western-style or JRPGs on the system?

Shining Force 1 & 2 :wub:

46 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

So what I'm looking for is titles that are sort of culturally relevant to the time. Like movie tie-ins or licensed stuff like Castle of Illusion.

These are some of my fave licensed / big games on the system that aren't in house (I know Rambo and Ghostbusters were) I was lucky to play most of these as a kid through friends and they still hold up

Robocop Vs Terminator

Micro Machines 2 

Aladdin

Cool Spot

Ghostbusters

Turtles : Hyperstone Heist

Mortal Kombat 

Pitfall : The Mayan Adventure
Rambo III

True Lies

Wrestlemania The Arcade Game 

Demolition Man is a fun movie tie in game. 

The comic tie in Maximum Carnage is well worth a look too. 

As for quirky RPG style experiences, there's Pirates! Gold which is a really good version. 

For cultural relevance how about Desert Strike? They weren't exactly shy about the Gulf War/Desert Storm comparison. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

These are some of my fave licensed / big games on the system that aren't in house (I know Rambo and Ghostbusters were) I was lucky to play most of these as a kid through friends and they still hold up

Robocop Vs Terminator

Micro Machines 2 

Aladdin

Cool Spot

Ghostbusters

Turtles : Hyperstone Heist

Mortal Kombat 

Pitfall : The Mayan Adventure
Rambo III

True Lies

Wrestlemania The Arcade Game 

Thanks, some good ideas there. Don't mind first party games it's just that I'm already familiar with most of them I think. Will definitely check Ghost Busters and True Lies out. 

23 minutes ago, JamesC said:

For cultural relevance how about Desert Strike? They weren't exactly shy about the Gulf War/Desert Storm comparison. 

I think the 16-bit era might have been when games glorifying western aggression and being thinly veiled conduits for CIA war propaganda came of age, so to speak - as all video games which feature real arms and weapons are today. 

Loved the Strike series as a kid, find their premise a bit too repulsive to enjoy today.

32 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Demolition Man is a fun movie tie in game. 

The comic tie in Maximum Carnage is well worth a look too. 

As for quirky RPG style experiences, there's Pirates! Gold which is a really good version. 

Yes Desert Strike was on my list, and Mortal Kombat of course. Road Rash was pretty significant too, I think. Very obviouly early 90s OTT action, goes great with a grunge soundtrack. 

Pirates is a great shout too. 

So just had the first blast on my first game of this new odyssey of old game discovery. The Terminator. Which I bought from someone on here ages ago but only just have the hardware to play. Seems pretty terrible! 

14 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

I'm awaiting a console that can play Japanese carts too.

Any Japanese exclusives I should be looking for? :)

I've done a bit of googling/YouTube....

I fancy rainbow islands extra.

I fancy being able to afford a copy.

6 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I just won an unboxed Mega Drive one on eBay. First time I've owned one (I had a Mega Drive 2, many many years ago but didn't use it much). 

Going to make a little collection of games that are interesting to me. With most systems that tends to mean RPGs and adventure games but with the Mega Drive I look at it a bit differently as it was the first (imo) "blockbuster" system that started to position video games as a sort of entertainment/lifestyle trend that went deeper than them just being either a geeky hobbyist thing or a toy. 

I'm not really looking at the first party stuff so much, most of that I've played to death on emulators and re-releases. Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and all that. 

I'm also going to pick up interesting RPGs and adventures when I find them. I know point n clickers like Monkey Island came out on the Mega CD, but were there ever any attempts at this sort of game on cartridge? And what are the good western-style or JRPGs on the system?

Cosmic Spacehead is the most obvious example of an adventure but that's not especially Mega Drive culturally significant, not least because it was on Master System, NES and the computers as well.

Culturally relevant get Micro Machines 2, but make sure it's the J-CART version which allows 8 players at once with no multitap.

In movie tie-ins, Toy Story, Aladdin, Lion King, Jungle Book.  Although the last 3 of those are also on SMS (but then so is Castle of Illusion of course)

Virtua Racing is 3rd party but absolutely a phenom.

Scooby Doo Mystery on the Mega Drive is a pretty decent point and click, with a graphical style that looks like it takes some inspiration from Day of the Tentacle. The puzzles are a bit hit and miss, but it looks a real treat.

The game with the same name on the SNES is a less interesting platform-puzzle thing. 

2 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Scooby Doo Mystery on the Mega Drive is a pretty decent point and click, with a graphical style that looks like it takes some inspiration from Day of the Tentacle. The puzzles are a bit hit and miss, but it looks a real treat.

The game with the same name on the SNES is a less interesting platform-puzzle thing. 

Snap!

2 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

If you're interested in something "new" I can't recommend the Columbus Circle release of the Mad Stalker port highly enough. It's a single-plane scrolling beat-'em-up that gives you the toolkit of a Street Fighter shoto (down to the dragon punch and a projectile for zoning!), and it's the most fun I've had on the MD in ages. It's from 1994, so it's a late one, but it has the look of something from quite a bit earlier in the system's life, in a good way - its palette is gritty and subdued and there's an emphasis on animating a few big, detailed sprites at a time as opposed to filling the screen with Treasure-esque effects and several layers of parallax, etc. My favourite thing about the moment-to-moment action is that it really forces you to make full use of your moveset, just as in a fighting game: a lot enemies, especially bosses, are all about the rushdown, and will make no bones about belting you straight into a corner and keeping you there until you're dead, so understanding all of your answers to that is crucial.

It's a miracle it was discovered at all, let alone finished up and released on a physical cart. The music all sounds so, so much better than the X68000 and FM Towns versions, too. The prototype actually had no music at all, so Keishi Yonao has belted out the best arrangements of his old tunes this year, at the drop of a hat. Legend!

Anyone who played the amazing Tanzer a while back might be interested to see this super early WIP teaser of the creator's new MD project, a shooter that looks insane:

Gotta love how this console never stopped receiving new A-grade software. It just keeps rolling.

10 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

I'm awaiting a console that can play Japanese carts too.

I've done a bit of googling/YouTube....

I fancy rainbow islands extra.

rainbow islands is fantastic on megadrive. Definitely get it!

its ridiculous that it never got a western release 

27 minutes ago, ulala said:

rainbow islands is fantastic on megadrive. Definitely get it!

its ridiculous that it never got a western release 

Anyone know why it was never released outside Japan? In my head the arcade version was a global hit but am I just assuming that because of the popularity of the the computer ports in Europe?

Rainbow Islands Extra is great. I'd encountered the ROM multiple times in the past without realising until last year that you can switch it back to vanilla Rainbow Islands in the options menu, which greatly improves it IMO. The Extra mode feels like a romhack, which is kind of is - weird that they made it the default mode on the MD version.

Rainbow Islands Extra is great but I'm absolutely terrible at it. 

More up my alley is the Japanese exclusive version of New Zealand Story. This version is based on a prototype version of the arcade game so has slightly different levels and more aggressive enemies. It's a tough game but really, really fun. 

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Cosmic Spacehead is the most obvious example of an adventure but that's not especially Mega Drive culturally significant, not least because it was on Master System, NES and the computers as well.

Culturally relevant get Micro Machines 2, but make sure it's the J-CART version which allows 8 players at once with no multitap.

In movie tie-ins, Toy Story, Aladdin, Lion King, Jungle Book.  Although the last 3 of those are also on SMS (but then so is Castle of Illusion of course)

Virtua Racing is 3rd party but absolutely a phenom.

Oh yes, MM2 is definitely going on the priority list. So many good times on that with a bunch of mates huddled around a tiny TV fighting over the controllers. 

12 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Fantasy Zone MD - from the same programmer originally behind Darius MD - is shaping up nicely. It's wild how far modern tools and knowledge are being used to push this home console from 1988:

isnt fantasy zone already on the md?

29 minutes ago, ulala said:

isnt fantasy zone already on the md?

You're thinking of Super Fantasy Zone, the Sunsoft-developed Mega Drive exclusive, a completely different game.

This is a homebrew port of the System 16 arcade game, originally developed in tandem with a Master System version and arrived home on a Sega system as a Saturn release.

1 hour ago, RastanSaga said:

I need a Japanese cart for testing purposes. If anyone can help, please message :)

I have a Japanese Columns cart which I acquired for much the same reasons, will drop you a PM.