rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

57 minutes ago, Treble said:

Certainly an odd one. Something to do with one of the cart connectors maybe, or duff capacitors potentially.

Can you test the 'dodgy' cart in another MD, @strider?

Tried it in four different systems, everything from a normal unmodded to a mark 2. I've bought a copy of The Lawnmower man so I can have the boards swapped over.

On 29/03/2019 at 16:54, RastanSaga said:

Streets of Rage 3. Bare knuckle 3.

This is quite interesting (article posted)

I remember hearing before that the Japanese release was the definitive game.

I have actually invested loads of time in the PAL version....I could never beat the stage where you save the chief... the end boss of that stage with all the flying guys...couldn't do it..

I'm hoping I can get the cash together for bare knuckle 3....I never did get the music in this instalment for the most part though. It kinda plays as streets of rage 2.5 and..I do like the meter to special move mechanic.

Here is the article....Please be aware that it does include spoilers..

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5975630

In the retro gamer mega drive mini article this month they say something like there's no way the original Jap release bare Knuckle 3 could be used, it would cause outrage. What are they refering to? I can't see anything too shocking in your link?

2 hours ago, bplus said:

In the retro gamer mega drive mini article this month they say something like there's no way the original Jap release bare Knuckle 3 could be used, it would cause outrage. What are they refering to? I can't see anything too shocking in your link?

There’s a really gross gay stereotype boss early on.

It's still in the 360 Streets Of Rage collection though, but I guess that's something aimed at fans of the series who are used to dodgy shit in games where this is being sold on nostalgia to a broader audience.

11 hours ago, matt0 said:

There’s a really gross gay stereotype boss early on.

It's still in the 360 Streets Of Rage collection though, but I guess that's something aimed at fans of the series who are used to dodgy shit in games where this is being sold on nostalgia to a broader audience.

Ah I see!thanks.

42 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Look at the current state of the Shinobi conversion. It's absolutely magnificent:

That looks ace. I was watching Kim Justice’s Top 100 MD games yesterday while doing the dishes, and when Shadow Dancer came up, I thought what a shame it was that the MD never got a port of Shinobi 1, and idly wondered if there would ever be a homebrew port. Amazing to see this.

…that said, I do kind of miss the HUD and energy bar from the SMS port. I think my ideal would be the arcade game ported to the MD with the same philosophy as the SMS port, which is the true father of Revenge + Shinobi 3. Direct coin-op ports are sometimes a bit unforgiving for home play. 

12 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

That looks ace. I was watching Kim Justice’s Top 100 MD games yesterday while doing the dishes, and when Shadow Dancer came up, I thought what a shame it was that the MD never got a port of Shinobi 1, and idly wondered if there would ever be a homebrew port. Amazing to see this.

…that said, I do kind of miss the HUD and energy bar from the SMS port. I think my ideal would be the arcade game ported to the MD with the same philosophy as the SMS port, which is the true father of Revenge + Shinobi 3. Direct coin-op ports are sometimes a bit unforgiving for home play. 

I'm with you - making 'Revenge..' (and, say Eswat) as new expanded console experiences rather than recreations of coin-ops was the right decision. But Shinobi..I really really wanted it to get an MD port and much later down the line was disappointed with the PC Engine port having a load of content cut due to its tiny ROM size.

For such an important and iconic game never to be graced with a killer home recreation is a wrong long in need of a right and hearing the audio for the first time - sounding so perfect (I'm loving the arcade audio through a YM2612) I have every confidence this'll be amazing.

The prospect of additional modes haven't been ruled out (there all already some graphical improvements in place) so I guess the chances of an optional  life bar / additional hit or two seem..reasonably reasonable..

Been enjoying some light MD grazing over the last few days.

Gain Ground - this never appealed back in the day, but after hearing a lot of people rave about it, I thought I’d give it a go. They’re right, it’s pretty great! Ugly as sin, but the gameplay is a fascinating mix of tactics and twitch gaming skills, albeit all at turning-an-oil-tanker pace. The risk/reward of trying to rescue your fallen comrades is very smart. Hard to believe it was ever an arcade game, though.

Shadow Dancer - at some point I picked up the idea that this was the poor relation of the Shinobi series, but it’s pretty great. Production values are very high, and the whole thing has been put together with lots of love as a clear tribute to the original arcade Shinobi, rather than anything like the Super Shinobi series. Great tunes too. My only gripes are the rather lacklustre bonus stage and the fact that the dog is a bit tricky to trigger.

• Upvote 1

I believe Shadow Dancer is a sequel to Shinobi, certainly the arcade version was. I remember it being a big deal at the time. I think the Mega Drive version is an “interpretation” of the arcade game, so I’m not sure if it’s considered part of the Shinobi series, or not.

12 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I believe Shadow Dancer is a sequel to Shinobi, certainly the arcade version was. I remember it being a big deal at the time. I think the Mega Drive version is an “interpretation” of the arcade game, so I’m not sure if it’s considered part of the Shinobi series, or not.

It’s definitely a Shinobi game - my point was that it’s very much the child of arcade Shinobi, rather than of the home Shinobi games (which I'd argue started with Shinobi on the SMS). One hit kills, same enemies, enhanced versions of the old bosses. For all that the MD version is a unique interpretation, it has an arcade mindset. 

With both Gain Ground and Shadow Dancer, I only ever played the Master System versions, never the MD ones. Gain Ground was fun, but with Shadow Dancer, neither I nor my friend whose copy it was were able to get past the first boss. Still, we had hours of fun trying to work out what was being said in the speech sample that plays when you activate the magic attack!

Quite a difference in length between these two longplay videos:

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

It’s definitely a Shinobi game - my point was that it’s very much the child of arcade Shinobi, rather than of the home Shinobi games (which I'd argue started with Shinobi on the SMS). One hit kills, same enemies, enhanced versions of the old bosses. For all that the MD version is a unique interpretation, it has an arcade mindset. 

One of the comments on that SMS Shadow Dancer video says it's more faithful to the arcade than the MD version is.

10 hours ago, beakbeak said:

I’m going to buy a mega drive mini but I’ve noticed the Japanese one comes with 6 button pads so I need that one! 

So wheres the cheapest place to buy?

You can buy 6 button pads separately if you don’t want hassle and cost of buying an import mini.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, beakbeak said:

I’m going to buy a mega drive mini but I’ve noticed the Japanese one comes with 6 button pads so I need that one! 

So wheres the cheapest place to buy?

You can buy them from Amazon Japan or Play Asia.  I think there are 1 and 2 pad versions.

• Upvote 1

Oh right, maybe it’s just easier to get the pad separately then. Alien soldier would be a nice addition but phantasy star 4 would be a big trade off. 

Im hoping it’s hackable 

On 14/09/2019 at 08:38, gone fishin' said:

Shadow Dancer is to Shinobi what Salamander was to Gradius. Sort of. A 'side sequel' which also had a home conversion that was reworked a fair bit from the arcade original (NES Life Force).

On 15/09/2019 at 11:05, beakbeak said:

Oh right, maybe it’s just easier to get the pad separately then. Alien soldier would be a nice addition but phantasy star 4 would be a big trade off. 

Im hoping it’s hackable 

You can play the other games by changing the language. They’re all on there.

• Downvote 1

It does apparently turn Dr Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine into Puyo Puyo though, which is pretty sweet.

Discovered the MD has an excellent port of Rainbow Islands today, of which I was not previously aware. It’s JP only and defaults into a weird Extra mode with Darius enemies or something, but in the options menu you can choose original and play the more familiar stages. Christ it’s hard, mind! I don’t remember those planes on Military Island constantly getting higher on the Amiga/Speccy versions. 

• Upvote 1

Snow Bros too if that's your bag.

I've been playing Shadow Dancer, inspired by the chat in here. Another of those games I've never really spent a great deal of time on. Found it hard to get going but it's great when it falls into place. It's a lot better than Eswat :D

• Upvote 1

So is anyone else looking forward to Xeno Crisis?

I can't wait for it primarily because I'm in love with the work of Savaged Regime and maintain that nobody has made the Mega Drive audio sing quite like he has. His rearrangements are simply awesome and his own original work is something else too. The game itself obviously looks fantastic but recruiting SR was a masterstroke as far as I'm concerned.

This Tiberian Sun track is my jam:

Probably my favourite tune from one of the greatest MD OSTs gets supercharged in a way I never thought possible. I love how tightened up the rhythm is and how perfect the lead FM synth is. It's insane to me:

This rendition of the Golden Axe classic makes the original and the OG MD version sound practically primitive in comparison. The details with the Master System PSG side kill me:

Ok I've got that out of my system. That's my spamming over with for the time being.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Camel said:

It's a lot better than Eswat :D

Yeah, I fired up the MD to play ESwat for the retro club and… well, I’d rather have been playing Shadow Dancer. 

8 hours ago, Down by Law said:

The other region versions of the included games are on there but that's it. Changing the language to Japanese isn't going to make Revenge of Shinobi appear for example

Oh I see. I stand corrected. Thought it changed the line-up.

Finally beat the third Shadow Dancer boss. The difficulty ramps up quite steeply from there. I'm not using save states or anything so it's a bit of a slog. Great game though.

On 24/09/2019 at 01:23, Camel said:

Finally beat the third Shadow Dancer boss. The difficulty ramps up quite steeply from there. I'm not using save states or anything so it's a bit of a slog. Great game though.

Actually I think the increase in difficulty is a bit much so I'm enjoying this less now I'm able to get further. Real shame. Also the bonus levels are rubbish.

54 minutes ago, Camel said:

Actually I think the increase in difficulty is a bit much so I'm enjoying this less now I'm able to get further. Real shame. Also the bonus levels are rubbish.

Ah, shame to hear it doesn’t hold up. Agreed on the bonus levels, the hit detection isn’t very clear - it always seemed a bit arbitrary whether I’d manage to kill a ninja or not. 

• Upvote 1