rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

4 minutes ago, Camel said:

Yeah it hangs off the back.  I've got one but I've never used it.

I do wonder how much better that will be with modern rechargeables with a high rating and this new LCD screen.

On 09/06/2018 at 07:58, Adrock said:

I haven't played mega drive games for a few years, mainly because I have come to the conclusion all my gaming time is better spent on handhelds.

You've now got me considering a nomad, bastards.

Get a cheap PSP Go and hack it for the emus.  That’s what I do.

Na, that’s just not the same... where do you plug in the carts?! ;)

I’m tempted to get my Nomad screen modded but the previous owner had the region switches put on the top and I’m not a fan of them aesthetically. I may just sell it on and buy another one day.

• Upvote 1

Powered up my Mega Drive today to find that the picture flickers and has some glitches.  Is it likely to be bad capacitors?
I hooked up  a spare Mega Drive and while it works fine, the sound is a lot quieter.  It that likely to a capacitor issue too?

167E8F1A-7FC9-476C-B851-4F5D4B44FD4B.thumb.jpeg.32b225e73c69f1bc854fbf1586396457.jpeg

My retro gaming corner is starting to take shape. I can’t get the Nomad to display a decent picture yet but my original MD looks fine on the Sony.

Am I right in thinking the Nomad controller port is only for player 2, so I can’t use a controller and leave the unit as a console? Also you can’t turn the screen off? If so I may sell on the Nomad. I really want a Multimega and also need to get my Mega CD fixed.

The next step though it to plug in my 32X!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, KriessG said:

167E8F1A-7FC9-476C-B851-4F5D4B44FD4B.thumb.jpeg.32b225e73c69f1bc854fbf1586396457.jpeg

My retro gaming corner is starting to take shape. I can’t get the Nomad to display a decent picture yet but my original MD looks fine on the Sony.

Am I right in thinking the Nomad controller port is only for player 2, so I can’t use a controller and leave the unit as a console? Also you can’t turn the screen off? If so I may sell on the Nomad. I really want a Multimega and also need to get my Mega CD fixed.

The next step though it to plug in my 32X!

Snap!

I have the same Sony but only use it for when I'm on the PC as background viewing. Great little TV. I remember getting mine with one of my first paychecks 20+ years ago. £499 plus another £499 for the matching vcr - can you imagine that now?

My MD, nes, Snes, n64, wii, x360 and ps2 are all connected to a 4k Samsung 55". Bar the fact it only takes RF or HDMI it's been fine. I use rf for the MD.

Haha I’m sure the Bang & Olufsen next to it probably cost even more!

Are you running anything between those retro consoles and the Samsung? Surely the 16 bit consoles would be better suited to the CRT? I’m using RF for the MD as I’ve only got a mk2 scart lead for my Nomad, but I will get one soon as I’ve also got a mk1 Asian MD to try out as well. 

New pickup!

1F5382E8-C895-432C-8383-FA96994B7B96.thumb.jpeg.7dad32e0c79981fae58089d4546b5d56.jpeg

I’ve been looking for this precise model for ages - the later (board says ‘94) two-wire variant of the Sega Tap, with added EXTRA mode which makes it behave like EA’s hideous 4 Way Play adapter, which used a different protocol.

Better yet, it’s the all-black US version, rather than the PAL one with the red switch (and as such will go better with my Japanese livery Mega SG).

Paid all of £9.50, though it needed disassembling and deep cleaning. Chocolate in port D. People are savages. 

Yeah I watched that earlier. Never owned a Megadrive back in the day but damn some of those games sure look good. I've actually watched a few videos lately on the 16 bit machines and having always been under the impression that the SNES kicked the MD's arse in the gfx stakes they're sort of showing me a different take. I dunno, I missed out on that zeitgeist but have started to really appreciate that era's gfx and style, and tbh I'm leaning towards the MD's output as having the better looking titles. Don't get me wrong the SNES has some stunning looking stuff but SEGA's machine really has caught my eye. I'm talking about gfx here btw and not which has the best games, I'd always just assumed the SNES was the far superior machine. Love them both lately though. (and to show I'm bipartisan, my two most played games over the last week or so have been Gunstar Heroes and Castlevania IV)

• Upvote 1

Positives:

Pass Sonic 1 slide/cornscrew test: Yes

Pass Sonic 3 Blue Sphere without any mistake test: Yes

6 button games: haven't tested yet.

The buttons and d-pad feel correct as they can be. No latency that I can notice. L/R are not intrusive (L is Z, R is C).

Minor niggles: If you put in both recievers like I have but are not playing 2player, the player 2 reciever will continually blink/search for the player 2 pad. You can stop this by activating the pad, but why waste battery.

I can't tell the type of screws you need to open this pad if you need to (say to replace the batteries in ten years or something). They look torx-like but not certain. A shame, should be normal philips screws.

The included usb cable is very, very short if you intend to stick this on PC. Even shorter than their usb c cables on the snes bluetooth variants. Easily fixed, but is it so much of a cost to have these be at least a meter and a half long?

Negative: Build quality. More specifically the controller shell itself. It's a matte which is great for not leaving hand grease marks, but just feels a little on the cheap side. Which is very odd, that they decided to cheap out here, despite all the buttons and d-pad being perfect, and the snes varients being solid plastics when compared. It can leave nail marks fairly easily if I tried, it's that sort of plastic.

The included usb cable is very, very short if you intend to stick this on PC. Even shorter than their usb c cables on the snes bluetooth variants.

I want to get into Shining Force. The original seems fine (about an hour in) but is a little clunky and simplistic as you'd expect - chiefly I don't like how it doesn't seem to explain anything about what items do or the difference between classes. I presume that's all in the manual but the Switch MD Collection doesn't seem to provide such a thing. Worth sticking with or are the sequels a bit more user-friendly?

7 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I want to get into Shining Force. The original seems fine (about an hour in) but is a little clunky and simplistic as you'd expect - chiefly I don't like how it doesn't seem to explain anything about what items do or the difference between classes. I presume that's all in the manual but the Switch MD Collection doesn't seem to provide such a thing. Worth sticking with or are the sequels a bit more user-friendly?

Shining Force 2 is about the same with some additions to boot, but I'd recommend the sequel nonetheless for it's much better story.

• Upvote 1

Shining Force 1 and 2 are amazing, 2 is definitely better than just about anything ever but 1 is excellent too.

It might be worth looking for a manual to download.

• Upvote 1

Nice one, thanks! I'd never seen segaretro before I don't think. That could be a rabbit hole. I'd tried gamefaqs already but they really are shite for this game. 

I'll stick with it then, there's a lot to be said for a simpler SRPG than what's around these days. Although a couple of hours in I still can't get used to the attacked unit not responding in the same turn. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/03/2019 at 16:59, NEG said:

Positives:

Pass Sonic 1 slide/cornscrew test: Yes

Pass Sonic 3 Blue Sphere without any mistake test: Yes

6 button games: haven't tested yet.

The buttons and d-pad feel correct as they can be. No latency that I can notice. L/R are not intrusive (L is Z, R is C).

Minor niggles: If you put in both recievers like I have but are not playing 2player, the player 2 reciever will continually blink/search for the player 2 pad. You can stop this by activating the pad, but why waste battery.

I can't tell the type of screws you need to open this pad if you need to (say to replace the batteries in ten years or something). They look torx-like but not certain. A shame, should be normal philips screws.

The included usb cable is very, very short if you intend to stick this on PC. Even shorter than their usb c cables on the snes bluetooth variants. Easily fixed, but is it so much of a cost to have these be at least a meter and a half long?

Negative: Build quality. More specifically the controller shell itself. It's a matte which is great for not leaving hand grease marks, but just feels a little on the cheap side. Which is very odd, that they decided to cheap out here, despite all the buttons and d-pad being perfect, and the snes varients being solid plastics when compared. It can leave nail marks fairly easily if I tried, it's that sort of plastic.

The included usb cable is very, very short if you intend to stick this on PC. Even shorter than their usb c cables on the snes bluetooth variants.

Just to follow up on this I've done some Street Fighter earlier with the pad and no complaints. Holding the middle button for 3 seconds makes it switch from a 6 button pad to a 3 button pad, you don't even need to reset the controller to do so (test it in the options). I've never been the best at firing hadokens so I still missed a few here compared to some YTers, but everything I tried with my usual (Chun-Li) seemed responsive enough.

It's worth noting that the 2.4g came with those controller plugs boxed in. For 25 smackers that's pretty good compared to, if you wanted to connect the bluetooth version to the MD, you'd have to buy the adaptor seperately. (with the only advantage being you can then use any 8bitdo controller on the MD...like the snes pad, horrible)

One last thing I'll test is if it'll work on the Master System. Could be neat.

I don't really know where to ask this but it's regarding the 8bitdo M30. I've seen a 2.4g version, rather than Bluetooth, but my problem is the receiver is system specific, can I use a standard USB 2.4g receiver to get it to work on a PC?

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

I don't really know where to ask this but it's regarding the 8bitdo M30. I've seen a 2.4g version, rather than Bluetooth, but my problem is the receiver is system specific, can I use a standard USB 2.4g receiver to get it to work on a PC?

Both recievers are a MD controller plug, so assuming you have some way to plug the reciever into the PC, that would theoretically work/the way to use the controller wirelessly on PC. (well, you wouldn't need to plug in the bluetooth reciever - hopefully I'm making sense)

The normal method for the 2.4g version on PC is plugging the included usb cable to PC and the other end to the controller. Gets recognised as a 360 controller just like other 8bitdo controllers.

Bluetooth version would be easiest to get working wirelessly on other systems, but MD reciever sold seperately.

That's a shame, the Bluetooth version doesn't seem to be as widely available as the 2.4ghz one, the stuff I'll be playing is a fair distance away so wireless is imperative.

Wanted to confirm it works fine with Master System as well.

Also, don't know if we posted this back in 2014, but even so...

So silly. So awesome. :wub:

Any guides out there for making mega CD discs? Which ones from Amazon would be preferred in 2019 that least harms the laser, which programs to use on pc, that sort of thing?

Cheers in advance

Well I'm still looking for a guide if anyones wondering.

In other news, a new Mega Drive has appeared in Brazil via TecToy. Has a SD card slot. Even TecToy is better then the piece of crap that is AtGames. Edit: Hrm, no HDMI though, shame.

I already had altered beast, but a massive thank you to @MikeBeaver for everything else.

I have a deep love for Sega first party on the Megadrive..

I'm collecting, playing and finishing my favourites at the moment.

I personally can revisit these games weekly!....massive fan of Sega 16-bit!

IMG_20190328_152231.jpg

IMG_20190328_152306.jpg

IMG_20190328_152409.jpg

IMG_20190328_153059.jpg

• Upvote 3