Jump to content
rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

Recommended Posts

i used to have a nomad. Nice bit of kit, but it was so bulky... and the batteries don't last long either.

 

It's nice for a collectible for for practicability maybe not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

i used to have a nomad. Nice bit of kit, but it was so bulky... and the batteries don't last long either.

 

It's nice for a collectible for for practicability maybe not so much.

 

I think all that changes with the screen mod though as its a modern LCD. Doesn't suck the power like crazy, same with my Game Gear which has a McWill mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, 32X prices are pretty high these days?! Especially for a boxed  one.

 

I’m a bit confused as to what cables I need for it to connect to my Megadrive1? Is it just one cable to connect the 32x to the main console, then my current RGB Scart cable goes from the MD to the TV as normal?

 

Also, for 60hz gaming I believe I need to mod the 32x unit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need a converter cable to allow you to connect the AV output of the Megadrive 1 to the AV input on the 32X. Then you need a Megadrive 2 SCART cable to connect the 32X to the TV... otherwise you'll see none of the graphics being generated by the 32X. And yes, sadly you do need to mod the 32X unit if you want 60Hz gaming - they are region and hardware locked units. A PAL 32X won't like it if you start the Megadrive in 50Hz mode (to boot it up) and then flip to 60Hz.

 

I have a PAL 32X but it has a weird fault whereby it doesn't seem to be able to output audio from it's own AV output. Fortunately I'm also using it with a Megadrive 1, so I just a connect an external speaker to the heaphone socket on that for audio. Having a PAL 32X that's stuck in 50Hz is a pain though.

 

If I'm going to be totally honest, the 32X is such a faff for relatively few games, I normally just emulate 32X stuff now.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KriessG said:

I think I should I get my Nomad screen updated. I can’t use it with the original screen. What’s the best place to get it done?

 

This guy has done stuff for me before:

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-NOMAD-LCD-MOD-SERVICE-PRICE-FOR-NEW-MODERN-LCD-FITTED-TO-YOUR-OWN-CONSOLE/141192056060?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd as well go for a Japanese MD for 60hz goodness plus the option of the best version of SOR3 and without a name that conjures up images of either the bible or a certain balding singer/songwriter/drummer emblazoned on the console. 

 

Really though the ideal is switching whatever machine you have to get the best of all worlds: 60hz option for most games but also functioning Micro Machines 96!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wiper said:

You'd as well go for a Japanese MD for 60hz goodness plus the option of the best version of SOR3 and without a name that conjures up images of either the bible or a certain balding singer/songwriter/drummer emblazoned on the console. 

 

Really though the ideal is switching whatever machine you have to get the best of all worlds: 60hz option for most games but also functioning Micro Machines 96!

 

Wiper is very correct about the best version of SOR3, it's also worth mentioning that the Japanese versions of Megadrive games are often the "correct" versions. Lots of them where artificially made super hard in the west to counter rentals. 

Stuff like Contra Hardcore is unpossible. Same with the likes of Dynamite Headdy.

 

Great thing about using an Everdrive and a 60 Hz machine, is you can have it all at your fingertips whenever you like, and all on real hardware.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

Wiper is very correct about the best version of SOR3, it's also worth mentioning that the Japanese versions of Megadrive games are often the "correct" versions. Lots of them where artificially made super hard in the west to counter rentals. 

Stuff like Contra Hardcore is unpossible. Same with the likes of Dynamite Headdy.

 

Great thing about using an Everdrive and a 60 Hz machine, is you can have it all at your fingertips whenever you like, and all on real hardware.

 

Or get the best of both worlds, and get patches from romhacking.net which either translate the unbroken versions (Bare Knuckle 3) or un-break the translated versions.

 

Get a real Everdrive, though. Support your friendly neighbourhood Krikzz. Also, the V2/X7 supports Master System FM now, which is awesome.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing patched roms on real hardware is the one thing that really tempts me to get an Everdrive. Translated Japanese exclusives on original hardware, the dream! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2018 at 08:51, Lorfarius said:

Now I'm stuck... do I go for a Switch or a Nomad with Everdrive. Can only afford one :lol:

 

Speaking of Switches and Nomads, the next episode of DF Retro sounds like it might be of interest...

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's this all about Japanese streets of rage 3 being better? (Genuine question).

 

Also it's worth pointing out that 60hz switching a pal console outputs slightly wrong refresh rate.

I ended up buying a Japanese console, the only difference I really noticed was the picture output looks better through an ossc than the pal console I modded.

 

(Apologies if this got mentioned in the thread earlier!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd ignore that. I've had load of modded PAL systems over the years, unless you go looking for it on purpose you won't notice.  I had no idea there was an issue until that video was posted :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bplus said:

What's this all about Japanese streets of rage 3 being better? (Genuine question).

 

Also it's worth pointing out that 60hz switching a pal console outputs slightly wrong refresh rate.

I ended up buying a Japanese console, the only difference I really noticed was the picture output looks better through an ossc than the pal console I modded.

 

(Apologies if this got mentioned in the thread earlier!)

 

Yup, this is very true. 

I learnt the hard way when I bought a PAL modded Megadrive to use with my Framemeister and it just wouldn't work in 60Hz mode. 

Worth noting that a CRT will not care about this, you can run a modded PAL machine on a CRT without any worries. 

 

So when sorting out a Retro set up I made sure that the earlier consoles are all genuine US or Jap variants, so everything was 460i60

I've posted this pic before but this is basically what's happened - 

 

329070683_Retrosetup.JPG.fb892f41cae181d8a07288d76f2aefaf.JPG

 

I've added one more console into the mix since then. A modded PAL Dreamcast on the bottom shelf. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.