rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

I can understand Shining Force 2 fetching stupid prices since I knew it did for years now, but Sparkster? A game that's not even as good as the original and I probably got £4 trade in back in the day at best for it going for silly prices as well? You'd think Gunstar Heroes being released over and over would lower the originals price also.

Oh man. :( I was hoping to grab a fairly trouble free boxed/instructions copies of these.

Saying that, I grabbed so much other stuff I fear the postmen will try to kill me this week.

I doubt it, but bare in mind that thing is (bad) emulation in the first place.

Bear.

I've got one of those, albeit with fewer games. Cost 15 quid in The Range a few years ago. Haven't had any issues with it, emulation-wise or anything. Pads aren't great but it supports the originals so doesn't matter.

This thread has got me back into investigating the Megadrive again.

Yesterday I picked up a Megadrive 1 at Retro Revival Mini, to replace the MD2 I had. The sound on the MD2 is terrible!

I also decided to give my Everdrive a go. I've had it for about a year and never actually used it. I dug out a 2gig SD card which runs fine on the SNES Everdrive, created a MEGA folder and then copied the OS into that folder.

I put the SD card into the cart, switched on the MD and.... nothing. The LED on the Everdrive briefly lights-up upon power-up, but that's it.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Perhaps mine's just dead. There's no way I can send it back after having it this long.

In other news, I've ordered an RGB Scart lead from Retro Gaming Cables and am thinking about getting the machine modded.

Time to trawl Ebay for some/any bargains.

• Upvote 1

This is a convenient thread - I've got a (probably unused) fake Mega Drive - the plastic is different and it advertises some cracking versions of Playstation games for the MD. I've never plugged it in as I think it's almost certainly NTSC. Is there any market for them?

PS. Obvious trading thread promotion goes here. Mega Drive games, get yer Mega Drive games.

Your wish is my command!

post-1512-0-65555100-1386538733.jpg

One Mega Drive 2.

post-1512-0-04100800-1386538755.jpg

Official!

post-1512-0-36662100-1386538771.jpg

Sounds good!

post-1512-0-25858600-1386538793.jpg

Definitely some cracking games available!

post-1512-0-91389600-1386538826.jpg

All present and correct - 2 prong power adaptor, possibly official RF lead (that seems to be for PAL), two controllers, sealed machine, and games.

post-1512-0-25651200-1386538848.jpg

Although making the controllers out of something that doesn't warp when pressed against wires would be good...

post-1512-0-56840200-1386538935.jpg

But the machine is fine, it seems. Fully sealed.

post-1512-0-62046500-1386538964.jpg

And you're just being fussy if none of these do it for you.

A wholly legit machine. Definitely.

But I've not got space to keep it, so it needs to go ASAP, unfortunately.

• Upvote 6

I'm literally moving from a reasonably sized house to a not-reasonably-sized flat next Monday, hence my massive clearout trading thread.

You (or anyone else) can take it for a tenner plus whatever actual postage costs. It'd be nice for it to go to a good home!

• Upvote 1

I love the Megadrive and have enjoyed reading this thread for some MD love in. I (embarrassingly) have 6 different incarnations. Rev's post reminded me that I have one on the dodgy ones available in the 90's called the Scorpion XVI. Some more info about them here. They have the region switches built in which is handy

http://segaretro.org/KW-501

Bear.

I've got one of those, albeit with fewer games. Cost 15 quid in The Range a few years ago. Haven't had any issues with it, emulation-wise or anything. Pads aren't great but it supports the originals so doesn't matter.

But they ARE terrible, you must have no ears!

So I'm hoping one of you know since my exploring on the internet proved nothing.

The first of the MD games I ordered are starting to arrive and I noticed on the dragon's revenge that although the case and manual (which is in full colour) is clearly labeled Mega Drive, the cartridge itself is labeled Genesis (my mistake for not looking at it more closely before grabbing, I guess). I figured I've been conned except theres several people selling the same exact thing.

There IS a mega drive labelled Dragon's Revenge cartridge, but the manual for it from the pictures I've seen is black and white instead.

My hunch/hope is that this'll work fine on the Pal system, obviously I won't know till it arrives, and that Tengen back in the day simply made a printing error or simply put in the US carts (the cart states being assembled in USA) because the games were still region free. 1993 release though so it worries me it very well may not be region free.

I could return it of course, hm.

If it makes you feel any better, back in the day my mate bought a Genesis labelled Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and it worked fine on his Mega Drive 2.

NEG's post about MD game regions reminded me of something:

I seem to remember that among the last Mega Drive games I kept seeing for sale in my local branch of Electronics Boutique around 1998/99 was a copy of The Lion King, with Genesis rather than MD packaging.

My copy of EA's StarFlight (which I bought from a school friend, no idea where he got it but I doubt he imported it) also has Genesis all over the packaging and cartridge.

I've always assumed that the fact that it was EB selling The Lion King, rather than Gamestation or some independent shop, suggests that its release was somewhat official. But thinking about it, I'm not so sure.

So, were any games with Genesis packaging really given official UK releases? If so, how common was it?

Some of the Accolade games, like Hardball and Turrican had Genesis on them, even in the UK. But they weren't licenced by Sega so might not count.

If I remember correctly EB had in the early days supplier relations with EB US, which meant we got a lot of US games that had no region protection. Along with MD/Genesis we had ESRB rated gameboy, game gear and even pc games

NEG's post about MD game regions reminded me of something:

I seem to remember that among the last Mega Drive games I kept seeing for sale in my local branch of Electronics Boutique around 1998/99 was a copy of The Lion King, with Genesis rather than MD packaging.

My copy of EA's StarFlight (which I bought from a school friend, no idea where he got it but I doubt he imported it) also has Genesis all over the packaging and cartridge.

I've always assumed that the fact that it was EB selling The Lion King, rather than Gamestation or some independent shop, suggests that its release was somewhat official. But thinking about it, I'm not so sure.

So, were any games with Genesis packaging really given official UK releases? If so, how common was it?

There were a few, definitely Batman Forever too. It happened with the Game Gear as well. It was clearly a significant arrangement, but I doubt it had anything to do with Sega.

If I remember correctly EB had in the early days supplier relations with EB US, which meant we got a lot of US games that had no region protection. Along with MD/Genesis we had ESRB rated gameboy, game gear and even pc games

I'm pretty sure EB had US copies of the "Final Fantasy" GB games. Thats the example that sticks in my mind.

It's just the fact that it's not a straight up US copy that makes it interesting to hear about. We'll bother with the case and manual and you bring the carts from the US, done.