rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

My personal machine was originally a UK PAL machine which a friend modded, then I later bought a cheap Hong Kong machine from eBay and swapped the modded PAL motherboard into the Hong Kong case (as I greatly prefer the look of the Asian Megadrive and the cartridge slot is already big enough to fit all cartridges).

Out of curiosity - what's the aesthetic difference between an Asian and PAL Mega Drive? I thought they were the same apart from the accent colour.

Out of curiosity - what's the aesthetic difference between an Asian and PAL Mega Drive? I thought they were the same apart from the accent colour.

Not the greatest of photos, but:

UK PAL Megadrive:

post-19215-0-49733700-1385393297.jpg

Asian Megadrive:

post-19215-0-44359800-1385393326_thumb.j

I think the only reason I really prefer the Japanese model is that I can remember salivating over photos of it in C+VG long before the PAL release of the console.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the extra text at the front of the Japanese/Asian Mega Drive. I actually prefer the 'cleanness' and silver accenting of the UK Mega Drive front, though the blue reset button is far nicer than our off-white one.

Still, I'm sure we can all agree that the Mega Drive 1 is far nicer than its later incarnations (though no console is as gorgeous as the Sega Mark III)!

• Upvote 1

Obviously they're far more focussed on Genesises (Genesi? Geneses?) than Mega Drives there, but according to the OP the very last revision of the MD1 had the same naff audio chip as the 2s, and I've no reason to doubt what's said in it.

I too would want to know where I could get a fully modded machine, proper sound chip and all. Google didn't help much last I searched. Afterwards I'd get a Ever Drive and be in heaven. To the point earlier about collecting, sure, that might be fun, but it's also about playing the games on the original hardware rather then emulator. That's a big plus that Ever Drive provides.

(On a unrelated but Sega-y note all the same, I imagine getting, modding AND having the sound chip add-on Master System would be very much a holy grail I'd love to have too.)

Do you know anyone at all who can do a bit of light soldering NEG? It's so easy to mod a Megadrive, it's untrue. You can get the bits to do it for a couple of quid from Maplin, it's not like you need to scour the web for a modchip.

I was going to order the £15 switchless mod from Console passion and try it myself, do you not need a modchip for the megadrive then?

Do you know anyone at all who can do a bit of light soldering NEG? It's so easy to mod a Megadrive, it's untrue. You can get the bits to do it for a couple of quid from Maplin, it's not like you need to scour the web for a modchip.

Lovely machine, Wiper. Where did you get it? I'm ready for next gen.

It's just a generic (earlier revision) Mega Drive 1, then:

Aye, this - it's ridiculously simple (I much prefer the switched rather than switchless mod, however [as you might guess] - mostly because it allows you to play a fair few region-locked games in a different mode by switching after the check). No chip required, just some wires, a three-stage switch (or two two-stage switches, depending how you want to do things), and a bit of soldering.

Though I mean to mod my second Mega Drive slightly differently - specifically, I put the switch in a place that stops me using a version 1 Master System convertor with the system (rookie error there) - you can see that it's next to the screw hole for the convertor, and it prevents its lip going down that far. I don't know if this would also prevent me using a 32X/Mega CD, as I don't actually know how they hook up.

• Upvote 1

It won't stop you from using a Mega CD or a 32X as they don't screw in there.

One of the other beauties of having an Everdrive is that you can play Master System games from it without needing a convertor.

Aye, that too. I do like the Master System pad for Master System games though (I think it can be plugged into the MD).

I don't :( I'm sure theres a good guide or two on youtube and I could follow it as close to my ability. I just imagined some magic retro store that does this sort of thing, ah well.

I took a load of my retro stuff to a friend's for a retro games night thingy last week, and someone took this lovely photo of my very own Megadrive:

post-19215-0-85717100-1385738950_thumb.j

• Upvote 3

A Japanese copy of Cyberball died so that I could have that Everdrive in that rather amateurish case I butchered for it.

Best thing that could've happened really. Cyberball is really shit.

Ha, I have a copy of Andre Agassi Tennis that I got as part of a bundle before whose sole purpose in life is to be butchered in the name of EPROM testing and soldering practice. Terrible games have their uses ;)

and thus after 11-12 years after selling my childhood one, I finally own my own Mega Drive again. Proper sound chip, should arrive next week. Even coming with a bunch of games. Did try to find a cd/32x combo deal but it just proved too much bother to find at a decent price/soundchip/model 1 everything. Maybe I'll bother with the CD down the line, it's not exactly drop dead important. It just makes the MD look sexier...and er..taller and more beefy.

Of course the Mega Everdrive would go out of stock as soon as I get excited for one, sigh.

I should get more shelving and collect everything boxed, oh God, it starts. (honestly though I have little room, how do people manage their own retro collection storages?)

Still, hype!

Edit: Now to order the gold scart lead...

• Upvote 3

Don't forget to ensure you get a stereo SCART lead (i.e. one that has a separate 3.5mm audio input jack to plug into the headphone port on the Mega Drive)!

(or, you know, just feed the audio from said socket to your speakers/amp directly)