rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

I have a Asian PAL Mega Drive, not used it for years, but Japanese carts do fit without an adapter. The games play in 50Hz and in English, although most of my games are fairly early MD carts, so I'm not sure about region protection issues on later games. Would love to get it modded to 60Hz one day.

I decided a few months ago to start picking up MD games I'd missed or wanted in my teens :)

If anyone has any good sites they like to browse by MD / MCD games from, I'd appreciate it.

I've got a proper old school Megadrive set-up. Instead of an Everdrive, I have a Multi Game Hunter which takes floppy disks. The Megadrive itself has dual switches and I've got both types of Master System convertor. All hooked up via RGB to a Sony CRT. I've got about 250 games, but when I use it (which isn't often these days), I use the MGH just because loading Megadrive games from a floppy disk feels so brilliantly weird.

• Upvote 1

Someone mentioned about Ever Drive on one of the other forums and if I would consider getting one. It's obviously a /dubious/ way to play stupidly expensive stuff like Twinkly Tale and Slap Fight, but if you're going to use something like that to not get the expensive stuff, you may as well not have a collection full stop.

• Upvote 1

I don't know. I think it's nice to use real cartridges. And then if you're desperate to play some of the stupidly expensive stuff, with a copier or flash device, you've got that option.

• Upvote 1

The great thing about the Megadrive is you can get lots of really good games for cheap. Assuming you're happy with PAL of course. But in most cases, it makes no difference, as running a PAL game on an MD with 60hz flipped means the game is identical to a Jp or US version.

I don't know. I think it's nice to use real cartridges. And then if you're desperate to play some of the stupidly expensive stuff, with a copier or flash device, you've got that option.

Aye, I'd agree with this. I much prefer to collect games 'properly', but when it comes to the more overpriced titles (e.g. Vampire Killer, the various £100+ shmups) I would much rather make my own reproductions (using unofficial art). Same physical pleasure, but without the obscene price.

Someone mentioned about Ever Drive on one of the other forums and if I would consider getting one. It's obviously a /dubious/ way to play stupidly expensive stuff like Twinkly Tale and Slap Fight, but if you're going to use something like that to not get the expensive stuff, you may as well not have a collection full stop.

I agree with this in some respects, but I also look at an everdrive like an iPod, you use it for convenience, but you can still collect vinyl

The physical nature of collecting is a great part of playing systems like the megadrive

From the look of it that blaze mega drive takes jap shape carts, Im gonna get one for xmas and see how I get on, will report back chaps!

http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Classic

it would appear it is indeed region free! Wont play VR chip games, 32x, mega cd or everdrive, but then that isn't what I'm after. I want to try and preserve my original mega drive as much as possible so using this is a good option, and if it plays Jap games that means I can expand my collection to encompass those too.

I know it has some issues, but those are outweighed by a region free mega drive that I don't care if it gets wrecked.

Got my next set of games through courtesy of a felly mukker. A couple of the boxes were a little faded (I'm anal and forgot to ask) but I'm really happy with what I have.

no idea why the embedding isn't working

• Upvote 1

Basically, don't use the "link" function, just type the youtube address (probably shouldn't be the mobile one) into your post, and the forum software should automatically turn it into a youtube link. Like so:

If the forum still keeps making it a link, edit your post, select the youtube link, and click the unlink button - that's the button I've crudely circled in the attached picture.

post-409-0-76247200-1385344524.jpg

After that, once you save the post, the forum should work out that it's a youtube link and embed it.

Modding a Megadrive is a piece of piss and I can't recommend it enough. The motherboard basically has two hard wired switches on it: one for the language (English/Japanese), one for the video output (50Hz PAL/60Hz NTSC). So a Euro PAL Megadrive is hard wired to English+50Hz, a Genesis is English+60Hz and a Japanese Megadrive is Japanese+60Hz. When you mod the machine, you basically just break the hard-wiring of those two switches and add two physical switches in their place. A friend did it for me, but there's not a great amount of soldering involved. It's not like trying to mod an Xbox or something.

My personal machine was originally a UK PAL machine which a friend modded, then I later bought a cheap Hong Kong machine from eBay and swapped the modded PAL motherboard into the Hong Kong case (as I greatly prefer the look of the Asian Megadrive and the cartridge slot is already big enough to fit all cartridges).

I've got a fair collection of PAL and Japanese games but I did recently get an Everdrive. Aside from allowing me to play homebrew titles and rarities I've so far not been able to get hold of, it's also a very easy means of transporting my console and a shitload of games around for retro games nights at friend's places. I've stuck a 4GB card in my Everdrive and have over 450 Megadrive and 250 Master System games on it.

My Mega CD has recently stopped booting, so I need to get another one of those from somewhere.

• Upvote 1