IGNORED

Games you're ashamed of playing

elmo

Civilization -

I know that I will never be able to create the perfect world I want, and that my vague plans to not amount to a "strategy", and I've wasted hundreds of hours playing it, and mostly losing.

Same with minecraft. I will never ever build the amazing thing that I wanted. What is it anyway?

I will never force an entire world into a perfect order.

Lately, Reus as well, but thankfully that has a time limit, and I've nearly completed it I think.

All games where i am acutely aware that I should be being more creative and stop wasting my time. However! They can be played with the sound off, so I will play them while listening to records!

Also Pokémon.

I feel the opposite about building/creative games, like it's ok to play them because I have some proof that I did something. You could show someone the city you built or whatever and they'd kind of understand, but having killed a million people doesn't leave you with anything for your trouble.

Even with killing games, I'm happiest when I'm looking at my house or weapons or car collection and can see the stuff I've gotten.

Whoever said that you can't build that thing you wanted to in Minecraft, YES YOU CAN. Believe in yourself and just keep building and you will end up making something amazing.

This is just a snippet of Broker's "Minecraft Motivational Techniques" ebook, available from the Amazon kindle store.

Chapter 6: The Slump

You've laid your foundations and if you're ambitious enough you've worked out your blueprint on graph paper. But when you're building something big, you're in danger of succumbing to the relentless monotony of placing a line of a thousand identical bricks. This is where your motivation mantra comes into its own, reminding you of your goal and the work you'll have to put in to get there. If you still feel yourself flagging, it's time to break the glass on your emergency work shanty.

Re-subbing to WoW after some news or just feeling nostalgic (or thinking it can't be as bad as I remember) then logging on and realizing I still hate 99% of the game these days and then I don't log in again for the rest of the 30 days I just paid for makes me face-palm at myself.

This routine happens every 2-3 months.

Flower. I heard good things about it so I decided to buy it. I never finished the game but I really liked it. My brother told me that he had some of his mates over to play some PES, he looked through the games on the PS3 and loaded up Flower to see what it was. His mates were like "why the fuck you playing this?" and he was like "it's kinda fun".

Most to be honest. Video games still seem to be afraid of moving from the lowest common denominator and are aimed at 14 year old boys. Every woman seems to be busty and shallow - every bloke some marine with a gun. It's quite pathetic in many instances.

Got strange look when I told friends I was playing the new animal crossing. I don't even know why I buy them cos I stop playing them after a few weeks.

I tend not to mention to my workmates I play Nintendo games like mario. Most my friends call them kiddy or rehashes. The only people that I know who still occasionally play Nintendo games, well I don't see them that much any more.

Generally I've got past the stage where I give a shit what people think...

Is there a computerised version of magic which doesn't require me to spend thousands of pounds on cards and teaches me to play the game?

There are three versions on the 360 and I do find myself slightly embarrassed at liking them, as they're meant to be so geeky but they're a pretty good card game thingy to be honest. The XBLA versions aren't really that full of too much beardy weirdy LARP-y type stuff either but whenever it comes up as being such a stereotypical super nerd thing I just think that it's actually quite good.

I imagine having your own battle deck IRL and whatever is a whole other level though.

On the subject of the black guy dialogue in GTA V, we already did this in the thread but aren't a lot of the people who are saying it sounds like a white guy wrote it white guys themselves? As I said in the thread, it's consistent with the depiction of gangsters of that variety in movies and music, but I have no direct frame of reference for how black guys in LA actually sound.

What does 'sounds like a white guy wrote it' even mean? I remember in the GTA thread somebody wrote that the sprint and punch move that Franklin does(and the other 2) was probably a white guys idea..eh?