IGNORED

Generation Meh?

JPickford

Publishers have been risk a adverse for years now. There was an article on Eurogamer talking about how Ubisoft are trying to establish new franchises. And the only one I can really see is Watch Dogs.

Even look at a behemoth like Activision. What have they got now? COD and WoW. Tony hawk- gone. Guitar hero- gone. Even James Bond seems to have died off. What about EA? FIFA and need for speed. Maybe Battlefield. Remember when EA used to churn out loads of games? Can't take the risk anymore on home consoles.

But to kick start a new franchise on the new generation of consoles takes a massive investment - that might not pay off.

So it will be interesting on how the new consoles play out. Nintendo can wheel out their first party exclusives, MS and Sony have to mostly rely on third party publishers. Will third party focus on lower risk mobile gaming? Maybe...

Plus every generation, up until this point, has had some sort of major innovation to it. Even the 360/ PS3 had HD. The new generation? Slightly better HD and slightly better online. Maybe better integration with TV which not sure more most people care about .

It almost feels like the first time where games consoles are no longer innovative technology. Ultra hD 4K looks more interesting in terms of resolution. Tablets are more social and have good mobile tv apps. Consoles just seem a bit.... Meh to paraphrase the dude that did Zub....

They will come Destiny & TitanFall for example next year.

What I'm saying is it's all guess work at this stage. And the Wonderful 101 wasn't universally highly rated. I don't really like it. Edge didn't like it. If they don't make another one I'll be okay with that.

Edge sounded like twats with that review though, moreso than normal. They totally didn't get the game and then blamed the camera (which is at a constant, fixed perspective) and the dodgy controls. Really, that's like trying to blame the camera in Street Fighter 2 if you can't consistently pull off a dragon punch after 12 seconds practice.

They, along with 98% of the gaming press, are completely full of shit. If we stop getting games like TW101 I'm done.

I agree with OP, there is nothing exciting about them - they seem to be putting right what was lacking last gen rather than offering anything new and the fact they are miles behind PC takes away the graphical leap that would otherwise blow you away (and im a long since given up pc gamer)

But the big one for me is the lack of games to entice me, i dont need a AAA game i want something that forces my hand - i was saying on GTA5 online the other day that if they launched it on PS4 i would buy one there and then. BF4 is the nearest any game is to enticing me but all my mates are on ps3 with no intention of getting a ps4 this or likely next year. GT6 is coming out on PS3 after the launch of the PS4, if the PS4 played PS3 games i may still have got one but the lack of that ability means the PS3 has games i want to play, online games to play with mates and the PS4 has knack and another mediocre killzone....

There is no doubt i will get a PS4 and maybe on launch day, i love new tech and the price is decent enough but given all the missing features on launch and lack of games this itch is wearing off quickly :(

Maybe i'm just getting old but i was there at midnight for the 360 launch, psp imported on launch, 3ds on launch - didnt get a launch wii u so maybe it really just is the excitement in new consoles has gone, maybe we have reached that point where what we have does it so well there is no need to upgrade and there really is nothing on the 'next gen' that pushes the lust to have one :o

Today, 07:04 PM

Funny thread. Another case of someone deciding against a purchase then convincing themself it's the right thing, then starting a thread to garner support from folk in a similar quandary.

This upcoming gen is like any other at this stage; as yet unknown

Today, 07:04 PM

Funny thread. Another case of someone deciding against a purchase then convincing themself it's the right thing, then starting a thread to garner support from folk in a similar quandary.

No that's not the case and I didn't really decide against a purchase I just don't have the cash.

No that's not the case and I didn't really decide against a purchase I just don't have the cash.

So if you had the cash you'd buy it. Don't get me wrong, I know what that feels like. But calling it generation meh before it's even begun, talking about Steambox etc. You're convincing yourself you don't need it. Which of course, you don't.

So if you had the cash you'd buy it. Don't get me wrong, I know what that feels like. But calling it generation meh before it's even begun, talking about Steambox etc. You're convincing yourself you don't need it. Which of course, you don't.

If I had the cash I might not have cancelled. But looking at it last night I had the sinking feeling of just not being impressed. The machine just felt ordinary. I'm not convincing myself, I've got no remorse either way. It just struck me how mundane the update is. Not so much because of the games which I know will get better. It was more seeing the machine in operation via video streams.

Sony have always been a bit utilitarian with their front-ends, menu bars etc. But I like al. The sharing and streaming stuff. Going in and out of games between apps looked pretty slick too.

At the end of the day it's an evolution of what's come before, but then so was the 360, PS2, SNES...

Given it's been so long since the last gen started I'm quite surprised the change seems incremental. After 8 years you'd think the new tech would be way in advance of the old.

If you compare a launch 360 or PS3 to their successors the difference in functionality is huge. This past generation we've had consoles completely transform thanks to firmware updates and I'm sure that will be the case once again.

I dunno - I thought about posting something similar, although with more of an angle of asking whether people thought the current gen would actually hang on for a while. I have no intention of purchasing near launch - probably not for a year or two - but the tone of the launch seems to be pretty much 'so what?', and that's despite the almost head-to-head launch dates.

Heck, this gen has inspired the blandest set of magazine covers ever - if I see another black/dark grey cover with two black boxes stacked on top of each other, I'll... I'll... I'll yawn.

Talk about putting all your eggs in the wrong basket :(

I respect your opinion but without turning this into another PlayStation vs Xbox thread, I had both a 360 and a PS3 and I by far preferred the 360, I love Achievments, I preferred the menu, it felt more like a console and less like a Blu Ray player menu to me, I preferred the controller and I preferred the Xbox exclusives ie. Halo, Forza etc.

That said, some of my favourite gaming moments last gen were on the PS3, I loved Last Of Us, had great fun with the Uncharteds, so my choice of next gen console was hardly an uninformed decision. Looking at everything I chose the Xbox because I preferred the Xbox last gen. Anyone that chooses PS4 has nothing but respect from me, if there wasn't different companies constantly trying to out do each other things would become stale and we wouldn't get so many AAA titles on each console, although that's a discussion for another time :) I'll certainly be getting a PS4 in the future but as you say I had a choice to make and for launch of the next gen my eggs are firmly in the Xbone basket

If the consoles had backwards compatibility, so I could have continued with my current game of PS3 Red Dead Redemption but with the ability to post screenshots as I went, then I may well have picked one up.

I would love to think of the new consoles that way but by not offering backwards compatibility, they are pretty useless "upgrades".When my PS3 eventually breaks, chances are I'll be replacing it with another PS3. What a depressingly weird situation that is!

No backwards compatibility was one of the main decisions why I ended up cancelling my pre-orders for the next consoles and gone PC. I felt pretty burnt by the fact my 360 purchases would not carry over. I know there are technical reasons for this and my 360 will not implode when next gen starts but as a consumer it felt like a bit of a kick in the teeth. The idea of being locked into closed eco system where MS and Sony dictate everything did not appeal anymore where they can just decide things like drop support for your older games locked into old hardware.

Things are not perfect in PC land but I'm very happy so far and the advantages outweigh the bad for me. I've done minimal tinkering and not hardly any technical faults thanks possibly due to running a clean system. I can control framerates and resolutions within the capabilities of my hardware, install mods, dedicated servers, emulation, thriving indie scene, super cheap games, no fees for an online account and with huge game changers like occulus rift, g-sync, steam controller on the horizon for next year there's just more potential for more than just better graphics.

If you compare a launch 360 or PS3 to their successors the difference in functionality is huge. This past generation we've had consoles completely transform thanks to firmware updates and I'm sure that will be the case once again.

Which is part of the problem, I think. The only thing the new consoles have which the previous ones don't is more power. That's it. Pretty much everything else they could already do, or, in software, could in theory be made to.

Given it's been so long since the last gen started I'm quite surprised the change seems incremental. After 8 years you'd think the new tech would be way in advance of the old.

There was no tail off last gen with cheaper games and no big hitters. I remember when the PS3 was about to come out new PS2 releases were only £30 and there was no really big cross gen franchises apart from the Bully port that I can recall. Whereas this year we've had GTA V and The Last of US, games still cost what they did at the start of the gen and the consoles themselves are still at least £200. There's been no dry spell of tail off of games, it feels like this gen has come along while the last gen was at the top of it's game even though last gen is 8 years old.

Ok as long as we agree that the star levels in SMW are fucking hard as anything then I'm happy.

Also the cheese bridge secret exit made me almost throw a controller through a window when I was 14, this is when Mario took no prisoners

Just take Yoshi and jump off his back, easy. ;)

Finally, my own thread! Recognition at last!

Oh :(

MehStation, only plays games by Illusion Soft

I respect your opinion but without turning this into another PlayStation vs Xbox thread, I had both a 360 and a PS3 and I by far preferred the 360, I love Achievments, I preferred the menu, it felt more like a console and less like a Blu Ray player menu to me, I preferred the controller and I preferred the Xbox exclusives ie. Halo, Forza etc.

That said, some of my favourite gaming moments last gen were on the PS3, I loved Last Of Us, had great fun with the Uncharteds, so my choice of next gen console was hardly an uninformed decision. Looking at everything I chose the Xbox because I preferred the Xbox last gen. Anyone that chooses PS4 has nothing but respect from me, if there wasn't different companies constantly trying to out do each other things would become stale and we wouldn't get so many AAA titles on each console, although that's a discussion for another time :) I'll certainly be getting a PS4 in the future but as you say I had a choice to make and for launch of the next gen my eggs are firmly in the Xbone basket

Pretty much my last gen experience but for me Microsoft have eaten up all their goodwill and sony have done a damn good job of taking advantage of that by exploiting those weaknesses.

The fact there is no backwards compatability means making a fresh choice this gen based only on facts was an easy one.

personally, I think that there are a couple of things that the manufacturers need to address if they want to "wow" the [general] public and those who are upgrading from the last gen with each new generation launch

- faster boot up and loading for games (I know that I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but remember how nice is was with your NES? put in the cart, turn it on and <bam!> 2-3 secs later you were playing the game

(even the 3DS is a big offender here. for those of you that still have a game boy, gb color, advance or ds, check out your power up sequence times compared to the 3DS's. load up a game as well. there's a ton of decompression going on there

- more stable hardware (yeah, faster and more polygons are great, but the fact that these newer machines [even the current gen] are running so hot that we've had to worry about things like motherboards flexing and causing the BGA (ball grid array) for cpu and gpu chips coming off of the boards [in both the ps3 and 360, even with massive heat sinks and fans

- software that doesn't require a "day one" patch in order to run (again, remember the days before the internet where companies had to make damn sure that their titles were stable and actually ran as advertised?

- have at least 4 solid titles at launch that showcase (or at the very least, give a glimpse) of what we can expect from this leap in technology that has wrestled the money from our purse strings. where's the incentive when the game looks and plays almost the exact same as the current generation?

I'm not trying to be a negative nellie, but our microwave society is making us want things quicker and faster and as a result we are reaping what we sow

Ok as long as we agree that the star levels in SMW are fucking hard as anything then I'm happy.

Also the cheese bridge secret exit made me almost throw a controller through a window when I was 14, this is when Mario took no prisoners

Glide under the exit while on Yoshi and jump off. Piss easy.