IGNORED

The Humble Thread

RubberJohnny

The Sonic 30th Anniversary bundle is pretty good. All the following games for $10 or more (pay what you want):

Team Sonic Racing
Sonic Mania + Encore DLC
Sonic Forces - Digital Bonus Edition
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection
Sonic Generations Collection
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Adventure 2 + Battle Mode DLC
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 2

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/sonic-30th-anniversary-bundle

• 1 month later...

Dunno where the November monthly post went, or if I bothered - I did buy it, though, for House Flipper and BPM (with a discount, BPM paid for itself).

Anyway, December:

image.thumb.png.5feeeaa60f8e999c4750ccb7fcd894f2.png

Can't say I'm interested this time around. I bounced hard off of Maneater when I played it on Game Pass, and Mordhau is probably not worth the price of admission alone.

The kids and I like Voidigo quite a lot, cutesy European action roguelite with crazy weapons and baddies and jumping on the baddies.  Bit like a cross between Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne and (because you spend a lot of time fighting a big boss who moves around the levels) Monster Hunter.

I don't need it twice though, and the others don't appeal a lot.

I saw the top 3 'highlights' and thought I was in for an awful month (Maneater I couldn't stand and Mordhau is of no interest to me; Endzone just looked, from its name and image, like something I'd have no interest in). I'm glad I clicked into the bundle though:

• not relevant to me as I already own it, but Partisans is a brilliant alternative take on the Commandos/Desperados/Shadow Tactics squad-based-stealth-em-up, with an interesting strategy/RPG layer bolted on and a rare choice of perspective: as the name suggests, you're playing as Russian resistance forces in occupied territory. Absolutely worth a try if that sounds even vaguely interesting to you.
  • adventure game fans (i.e. me) are well-catered for with Lacuna and Tohu, two games I'd had on my wishlist. They might turn out to be rubbish, but I'm happy to try them, not least as I very much enjoy their disparate aesthetics.
  • Voidigo sounds fun, and Greak looks gorgeous, both of which are sufficient qualities for me to want to give them a go.
  • To my surprise, on reading about it Endzone actually sounds very interesting; I'd taken it to be yet another post-apocalyptic survival game, and it sort of is, but to be more precise is a post-apocalyptic survival city builder, which is extremely my jam.

The Survivalists, Beyond the Wire and Fling to the Finish interest me not, being in genres I don't care for; 8 Doors I'll try, but I'm not expecting too much of it — Metroidvanias are a genre more easily referenced than executed. Overall, though, this has been the best month for me in a good while.

Actually I thought it’s a pretty good month.

Maneater and Mordhau are on my interested to pick up when cheap list (I know Maneater is on Gamepass but by the time I get to it, it will be leaving) and whilst I hadn’t heard of almost anything else, several of the games look interesting.

For £9 looks more than a reasonable selection (particularly after last months abysmal offering).

• 5 weeks later...

image.png.5da463159354d87bd2eb55b336dee3e0.png

Nah m8, Take Two are arseholes. In addition, Project Winter was as good as dead in 2020 after Amogus swamped lockdown, and I've seen enough Henry Stickmin playthroughs on Youtube to have seen it all. Hopefully better things come along in Feb.

It's just crazy, really. I've still got 6 months of my one-year sub to go - which has running since October 2019. Whilst I'm not fussed about the £100 or so it cost (that money is long gone and forgotten), it's just such a disappointment each month thinking that, perhaps for once, there will be something I actually want on there.

Cleaely I won't be re-subbing when it does eventually expire, but I almost now feel like it's a race of what will come first - my sub being completed or Humble scrapping the whole thing :lol:

I still buy some of their bundles. 

The problem for Humble monthly is it is now up against collosal mega companies like Microsoft, amazon and Epic all who are able to provide better monthly alternatives or flat out free games. 

What I received from Epic and amazon over the month of December was crazy when you think about it. Gog.com where giving out free games as well. 

What chance does Humble have? 

• 3 weeks later...

I've often wondered why humble don't use their publishing division to support their choice offering more. Well, it turns out humble think the same:

https://blog.humblebundle.com/2022/01/11/humble-choice-is-leveling-up/

Summary is that they are trying to re-launch choice (again) bug-fixing their previous version (going back to all games and getting rid of the 'choice' aspect). They also claim to be more focussed on quality and won't necessarily guarantee a certain amount of games each month. Only time will tell on this one but the cynic in me suggests we'll definitely have fewer games each month but the quality may not improve.

However, the most interesting change for me is in their humble games collection which is now set to include their published games, in a similar model to game pass. The first set added will be:

Forager

Wizard of Legend

Dodgeball Academia

Unsighted

Void Bastards

As a publisher, humble have actually delivered an astounding level of quality including Slay the Spire, Unpacking and Ring of pain. If that continues 'choice' may not slide entirely in to oblivion like it currently is. I'm also interested in the potential impact this will have on game pass because traditionally humble published games have been very prominent on game pass. Will this continue or will humble move everything to their service? They can't realistically compete with game pass and I can't see many signing up for a humble  service if everything on it is already available on a much bigger and widder game pass service.

I wish they'd give an option to add things automatically to Steam in bulk. It's such a hassle doing it one by one and I've got loads I haven't converted yet. You used to be able to do this. But I guess it's more Steam's fault for not allowing it than theirs.

14 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I think for a while they had a single Steam code that added all games, but that meant people couldn't gift the games they don't want or already own.

Yeah a single code would mean you’d lose any duplicates you have so I much prefer individual codes.

• 4 weeks later...

This month's humble choice, according to the newsletter it includes:

- Desperados III

- Mass Effect Legendary Edition

- Nickelodeon All-Stars Mario Fight Game Thing

- Man of Mald guy

- Chicken Police

- Police Stories

- Nebuchwhateverthefuck

- Evan's Remains

I'm not sure if it's the entire Mass Effect Trilogy (I'm always concerned when AAA stuff shows up on services it's going to be divvied up somehow), but if it is, I'll probably re-up my sub as it should be a fairly painless way to play the games on the Steam Deck. Chicken Police actually looks fun, too.

There's a bundle of every Boss Fight book available for a smidge over £13 - long form writing on a variety of games including Silent Hill 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Spelunky. 

I can wholeheartedly recommend based on the handful I've read so far. 

1 hour ago, Siri said:

This month's humble choice, according to the newsletter it includes:

- Desperados III

- Mass Effect Legendary Edition

- Nickelodeon All-Stars Mario Fight Game Thing

- Man of Mald guy

- Chicken Police

- Police Stories

- Nebuchwhateverthefuck

- Evan's Remains

I'm not sure if it's the entire Mass Effect Trilogy (I'm always concerned when AAA stuff shows up on services it's going to be divvied up somehow), but if it is, I'll probably re-up my sub as it should be a fairly painless way to play the games on the Steam Deck. Chicken Police actually looks fun, too.

Thats a remarkably improved bundle after the dire past couple of months.

I’m in!

7 hours ago, Siri said:

I'll probably re-up my sub as it should be a fairly painless way to play the games on the Steam Deck

Mass Effect is an Origin key, so not as painless as you might hope. 

Cheeky buggers!  They have taken it off the main page, but you can still get to it via the User dropdown in the top right, then Settings and Manage Your Plan.  Hope it doesn't disappear from there...