IGNORED

Resident Evil 2

mrsnrub

Bought this in the PSN halloween sale rather than dig out my disc copy from the "archives".

I had forgotten how great a game this was for it's time. Sure it may seem a little stilted and dated now, but the gameplay still shines through. The initial bit in the gun store brought back so many nostalgic feelings.

Amazing game.

Who are ya? Whatarya doin here?

i'm a human! (I think)

Truly the pinacle of game dialog, deffinately my favourate of the series. I'd pay a decent chunk for the original trilogy, they could easily release it on steam or consoles and clean up. Haven't played 2 properly for a few years now but I remember the upgraded shotgun sounding awesome.

"Ohh, Sorry about that babe."

I own the whole set on the Wii, with Rebirth, US versions of 2 and 3, and Resi 4. There's not many series' that make me buy a console and import US versions of a game, but they're definately worth it. Incredible atmosphere and The Last of Us is the only modern game that equals them.

I concur. I would love to see Resi remake and a remake of Resi 2 in HD. I wasn't as fussed on Nemesis though.

This was just perfect Halloween gaming. Coupled with Super Castlevania 4 on Wii U vc I had a terrific Samhain gaming session. I hope you all did something similar and had great fun too.

Rather than making Resident Evil 7, with three tired campaigns, capcom should do a reboot of this - a modern re-imagining - and pair it with an HD remake in the style of Resdient Evil 1 on cube. That would make serious coin.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur. I would love to see Resi remake and a remake of Resi 2 in HD. I wasn't as fussed on Nemesis though.

Heh. I only recently found out that Code Veronica originally was going to be RE3, and RE3 simply RE: Nemesis - some sort of side-story. But since Capcom was bound by contract to reserve the first three games that made up the main story line (ie. RE, RE2 and RE3, so no side-stories) for the PlayStation, Nemesis became number three, and Code Veronica was "demoted" to a side-story. Though it really was the third part of the main story; as one can clearly tell when playing the game.

I remember playing back through the original RE Directors Cut that I had from back in 98 or so some 5 years or so back and despite the rather pixelated imagery displayed on my flatscreen, I actually found the game play to be really enjoyable. I really liked witnessing the blur between old memories being sparked and seeing footage that had completely disappeared from my memory. Some parts felt very fresh again.

I'd been playing another similarly controlled game, Fear Effect after buying it cheap and couldn't get on with it. The controls felt awful at times and it really wasn't that enjoyable at all. In the end I just dished it to play RE again instead and the difference between the two was like comparing night and day. Felt a bit quirky at first, but once I got used to the look, it became a really enjoyable game all over again.

Resident Evil 2 was a fucking masterclass in game design for the time. I remember playing through it as Leon the first time and "finishing" it in a couple of days and feeling a tad dissatisfied with the whole thing. Then I started Claire's campaign and I saw how it all interlinked, how shit in Leon's game had affected Claire's campaign and vice versa and then I got to the end and then it continued on and went beyond Leon's ending and I then thought it brilliant... And then I started it all again as Claire and then Leon and it all played out slightly differently and...and...and... Oh, my, it was immense! A HD remake in the style of REmake would be so welcome...

While I agree it's a good game, when it's scaled up on my 42" HDTV it looks like everything is made from floating technicolor mince. Looks so terrible it's almost unplayable.

I assume you mean the original console version? I only ever played the PC port by Gearbox, really nice and clean, and in HD years before console-only players were bickering about what constitutes HD too, I remember playing the crap out of the time-limited demo too, seeing how far I could get within the time limit, the game was that good :D

I assume you mean the original console version? I only ever played the PC port by Gearbox, really nice and clean, and in HD years before console-only players were bickering about what constitutes HD too, I remember playing the crap out of the time-limited demo too, seeing how far I could get within the time limit, the game was that good :D

I had the PC version, the models were in 640x480 or 800x600 but the backgrounds were still 320x240, I think, and the whole thing looked really disjointed and naff. Is there another PC version?

I'm playing the playstation version at the moment, although it's low res, it's visually coherent where the PC version just isn't.

It has been ages, but you might be right about the backgrounds, I just remember thinking it was my GOTY the year I played it on a Win9X box, even got to play it via TV-Out onto a CRT, controlled really well on a keyboard, not surprising considering the control scheme, was all about the limping around wounded while running rings around most of the slow moving zombies, pretty much how I played Code Veronica on the DC too :D

Yep the backgrounds on the PC version are the same as the PSX ones - a few years ago I had a look around to see if there were any fully-hd mods around but couldn't find anything that looked decent. I would love a full HD remake of Resi 2 at some point. The thing with these games I find is that they are so easy now, you know exactly how the zombies are going to react.Zombies are so overdone now that game designers (and film makers) have had to find new ways for them to act to make them scary (running etc) but these zombies are so old school. And even the harder enemies, hunters and tyrants or what have you, seem to move in totally predictable ways now. Obviously a lot of the suspense comes from the camera angles which is a cheap tactic they wouldn't get away with these days, but it was very effective for its time.

Surely u are the first person ever to have that reaction towards Resi 2. The second one was what got me excited about the series in general as I got to try out that demo on ps magazine which was all hyped up and gave you a time limit to play as far as you could get. Some of the gore scenes really pushed the boundaries for me at the time too. I picked up directors cut and 2 at the same time and played em both.

In the original Playstation version could you start as either Clare or Leon? The one I downloaded from PSN I can only start as Leon.

If I'm correct press the PS3 PS Button & you have an option of which disc to load. Choose disc 2.

If I'm correct press the PS3 PS Button & you have an option of which disc to load. Choose disc 2.

I tried this but the 'switch disc' option is greyed out. Looks like you have to finish the game with Leon first.

A few things I've noticed since starting this again on Normal. It's pretty hard! Having to ration ink ribbons, dying and having to do whole sections again is the kind of punishment you rarely see these days. Also, no quick turn?? Wow. And having to go into the menu to re-load? Double wow.

The games music and graphics still hold up really well (once you acclimatise to them), the music and sound effects in particular are spookier than just about anything on recent Resi's. Another thing is that when there are zombies lying around playing dead you can kill them before they wake up, making the fact you can't do this in Resi 6 all the more unforgivable.

As I was playing through I remembered how absolutely revolutionary so many PSone titles were. Going from a market saturated with 2D side-scrolling platforms for as long as I could remember to stuff like this, Wipeout and Final Fantasy VII literally blew my mind.

Looking forward to finally getting to play through Claire's game, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. :omg:

That's a bit odd if it does force you to start with Leon. If I remember correctly...

Ending

The proper ending on the train is triggered when Leon is the second playthrough

Finding the shotgun parts and turning it into a zombie chewing beast that nearly throws Leon on the floor with kickback is one of my all time gaming highlights

Yep, can't see any way to start with Claire. Can anyone else playing the PSN version on a PS3 confirm this?

Try this:

The PSN version Sony has provided for download to the PSP (and PS3) doesn't mention how to swap virtual disks. It's not on the in-game menus, probably because it wasn't on the in-game menus of the original PS1 version.

I don't have a PSP, but here's my limited understanding of the solution.

Press Home, then Reset Game. That should bring up the Change-Disc option. Activate that to switch to Claire's disk.

Just so you know, the game originally came on two separate disks on the PS1. Leon's data was on disk 1. Claire's data was on disk 2. To play LeonA or LeonB you needed the Leon disk. Similar for Claire.