Jonathan Ross announced as 'Xbox consultant' by Microsoft

Captain Kelsten

Ross always seems to try too hard when it comes to games. I've seen him interviewed several times down the years and he'll wax lyrical but will talk about any games he's asked about even if he doesn't know anything about them. It's not obvious what this 'consultancy' will involve but as long as MS have an articulate and enthusiastic celeb they can wheel out then that's all good for them.

Huh, I stand corrected. I was sure I remembered a quote from him saying that the difference between the film and game industry is that the game industry didn't have any indie projects. Perhaps he was misquoted.

They're relatively new.

"He knows more about movies and Japanese manga that anybody person Ive ever come across, and I include a bunch of people in Japan that I used to work with. His quite extraordinary depth of knowledge in global youth, toy, game, and movie culture, and I think will be a great addition to what Lee and the rest of the studio is doing."

As opposed to non Japanese manga! Right guys? What a gaijin!! Right?!?

I can think of worse brand ambassadors from a customer point of view than Jonathan Ross. But, he's done this sort of shit before and put his foot in it. They invited him along to view a production model for the original Kinect at one point, and he tweeted something along the lines of "it'll be good once they sort the delay out" to his 3.5m followers!

It makes sense though, like Pete Brant said. They're seeking to widen the audience and widen the content away from hardcore gamers to encompass (will I be considered a snob here? ah well fuck it) fairly lowbrow TV that kind of straddles 'yoof' stuff and adult stuff. But all pretty much of the light entertainment variety. Ross has the bases covered: chat shows, manga, bit of gaming, movies, appeals to the middle-aged housewife etc. (Or so they tell me. The media, that is, not the housewives.) It only comes as a mismatch/joke if you imagine Microsoft are putting the emphasis on gaming this gen (or at least, 'hardcore' gaming). They're not.

Actually, I'm not even sure what 'hardcore' means by any definition these days. MS will still want to dominate the online FPS scene, the online racing scene, the usual casual/hardcore/whateverthefucktheseare scenes, because they're super-popular in the west and as causal as it gets, in the sense of appealing to tons of males who would spit on an otaku (yet Wossy will, they hope, still hold some vaguely exotic appeal to these types with the occasional reference to some manga character or other). They'll want to capture the ultra-casual party stuff with Kinect as well, of course. And obviously, super-obviously, they'll want to make really cheap TV programming to tie in lowbrow TV shows with popular game types. I guess they'll reinvent that quiz thing they had, for example (forget its name, shamefully), but with, like, more real people in it. And there's that Quantum Break stuff, and all the rest of it. I can't see anyone (that is, anyone well-known) being a better choice than Ross. He seems almost the perfect fit/face for what they're trying to do.

360 appealed to everyone based on the game selection. Maybe less so in later years when it seemed like the industry started focusing on brown shooters and anything of better value started appearing on steam instead, but still, 360 won the generation a few years ago for good reason.

The Xbone so far looks like it's aimed for anyone but gamers. Well, not anyone outside the usual CoD crowd, and I wouldn't class them as hardcore.

I wouldn't class everyone else as fans of tv on their consoles, either.

I thought we'd established that they don't give a fuck about what you probably think of as hardcore. The One isn't really aimed at you. Or me, for that matter, from what I've seen - I don't even watch TV on the frigging TV. They've gambled that Live and some titles like Titanfall (and Halo, when that comes) will keep most of the people who thought 360 'won' last time on board, or tempt them back when the big exclusives come. And once there, that they'll gradually be won over by and buy into the TV/game hyrbid culture stuff they'll start pumping out, you'll be hooked on the entertainment side of the thing, then the ad revenue will come rolling in, etc. I mean, I know all this is obvious, but then so is hiring someone like Ross to 'consult' for them.