IGNORED

Jonathan Ross announced as 'Xbox consultant' by Microsoft

Captain Kelsten

Ross will function as a consultant, advising various Microsoft teams in the UK. The announcement was made last night at an Xbox One event held last night in London, though the details are the projects Ross is working on have yet to be released.

"We wanted to change our thinking," said Microsoft corporate VP Phil Harrison following the announcement.

"We wanted to do was to bring in new talent that would challenge the way we build games and the way we think about what an audience is, to think about what is entertainment, and broaden the concept of gaming to maybe blur the distinctions about what is a traditional game is and what a traditional television programme or what is a traditional linear media.

"Jonathans role is to provide that real kind of insight. As we really think about creating new IP, and how thats going to work across all of our different experiences."

"He knows more about movies and Japanese manga that anybody person Ive ever come across, and I include a bunch of people in Japan that I used to work with. His quite extraordinary depth of knowledge in global youth, toy, game, and movie culture, and I think will be a great addition to what Lee and the rest of the studio is doing."

Source: http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/microsoft-hires-jonathan-ross

So yeah. That's happening. What an odd decision.

Can't stand him personally. I can already imagine the "I know I've been hired to work for MS, but you know I've always been a massive xbox fan!" That's probably MS's reasoning, they want a corporate shill but one who they can say they've just harnessed rather than created, what with Woss always going on about games.

He didn't seem to know that there were indie studios in gaming, oddly, so I question his knowledge of the medium but eh...

He just likes gadgets and tech, I think if anyone approached him he would have accepted, he will blatantly not have to do anything but get free stuff and maybe rock up to some awards / release type do's.

I'm not sure if it's actually going to help them in regards to PR - I'd have said his audience are a little bit older than the yoofs MS might want to be targeting but who knows.

It's not like he's Scott Mills or Aidan Grimshaw that's got a lot of exposure to kidz (as it were) or even an act like I dunno, Rizzle Kicks or something.

He just likes gadgets and tech, I think if anyone approached him he would have accepted, he will blatantly not have to do anything but get free stuff and maybe rock up to some awards / release type do's.

He's also a huge fan of Japanese animes and even speaks Japanese.