Sign in to follow this  
Meat

Super Aleste/Space Megaforce - one of the most under-appreciated games on SNES

This is usually the first game I fire up when testing any SNES emulator. Was one of the first shooters I played on the system and just the sheer amount of stuff happening and the inventiveness of the levels means it really holds up well.

I had an import Japanese copy back in the day and had a bit of WTF at the soundtrack for Short Mode which was changed for the UK/US releases, probably so New Order didn't sue their arses off.

• Upvote 2

Every Aleste game is incredible.

Someone should somehow click their fingers and produce a Compile Retro Collection including the Master System, PC Engine CD, Megadrive & Mega-CD games. The puzzle/comedy classic Guru Logic Champ would be an unlockable extra.

• Upvote 1

Very cool game, I love the big charge up laser but stick with multiple shot usually. I found the learning curve is pretty strict though, you can plough through several levels then you get to that level with the drilling machines that cut paths for you and it becomes more like R-Type where you have to learn where you need to be.

Also why is level one about 10 minutes long and every other much much shorter? Great game though, I like the space station level.

Every Aleste game is incredible.

Someone should somehow click their fingers and produce a Compile Retro Collection including the Master System, PC Engine CD, Megadrive & Mega-CD games. The puzzle/comedy classic Guru Logic Champ would be an unlockable extra.

Don't forget all the MSX games: Zanac, Zanac-Ex, Aleste, Aleste 2 and Aleste Gaiden.

At least the best Vert-shooter on the system, it might even be the best period, the only weakness being it was quite easy, once you'd get powered up to a certain level, completing it was not too much of a challenge.

Very nice showcase for the power of the system, great audio and visuals. The only entry in the series I've ever played, the MD equivalent was also overshadowed by its peers, but seems more understandable in that case, didn't look anywhere near as much a looker compared to the Techno Soft games.

Yeah, it was harder for a shooter to stand out on the Mega Drive. MUSHA Aleste is fairly well regarded, though, and fairly rare, a combination which leads £100+ pricetags if you fancy a copy. Which is a shame, as I'd quite like a copy, but I'm not shelling out that much. Even if it

(for once explaining why you're the only shmuck facing off against an entire army) and awesome soundtrack.

Definitely one of the most enjoyable shmups on the SNES I'd agree - just messing about with the dozens of different weapon configs while flying over the Nazca lines was great fun.

there was actually a Compile PS1 compilation called Zanac X Zanac which was rather cool if you want to play an updated version that NES game (the original's in there too)

Yeah, it was harder for a shooter to stand out on the Mega Drive. MUSHA Aleste is fairly well regarded, though, and fairly rare, a combination which leads £100+ pricetags if you fancy a copy. Which is a shame, as I'd quite like a copy, but I'm not shelling out that much. Even if it

(for once explaining why you're the only shmuck facing off against an entire army) and awesome soundtrack.

I have the japanese game complete, personally i think its overrated.

I mean, its quite pretty looking but it just plays like a very average shooter.

I would rate Gynoug and Thunderforce 4 above Musha and i could probably think of a few others which are also better.

Regarding Super Aleste/Space Megaforce, really good.

It is a bit easy but the amount the snes is throwing around, the colours, the powerups, yeah great game.

Favourite weapon is multi direction shot.

• Downvote 1