X-RGB Mini (and other scalers).

Just pull the trigger on the Framemeister :) Once you've got it then you've got it and you will not be disappointed.

There is barely any noticeable latency when up-scaling either a 240p or 480i to 1080p and it looks incredible on a good TV. It's such a good scaler.

I also have a very good CRT. The one I had 10+ years ago that's still trucking on and works great, but it's so much more comfortable playing on a none flickering LCD with bright colours, no geometry issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was bidding on an SLG SCART on ebay, I was the only bidder, was getting it cheap, 5 days left. The guy had relisted it after it didn't get a single bid the time before. I get a notification on my phone that I had missed out on it. Eh? It had 5 days left. I check the listing.

Somebody had outbid my top bid by 50p and the seller had ended the auction early, and marked it SOLD.

I contact the guy, asking what;s going on. I get back a message that somebody had offered him money for it elsewhere, and he told the guy to bid on it until he was the high bidder, then he'd end the auction and sell to him privately.

Fuck fucking off!!!

Is there any UK based seller for the Framemeister or is importing the only way to go?

There's isn't one I'm pretty sure.

I'd recommend going for it off the official site. I got really great service from them and it arrived super fast, less than 5 working days.

I also can't say enough good things about the scaler either, it's the most amazing piece of kit when using analog sources on your HDTV or monitor. I've been using my NESRGB modded Famicom and Super Famicom via RGB into it and it looks utterly stunning, especially when scaled perfectly by 5x.

The scaler even tells you how long it takes to process a frame with it's current settings. 240p to 5x takes a measly 1.52 milliseconds. Marry it to a fast display and prepare for the most amazing of retro experiences.

I contact the guy, asking what;s going on. I get back a message that somebody had offered him money for it elsewhere, and he told the guy to bid on it until he was the high bidder, then he'd end the auction and sell to him privately.

Fuck fucking off!!!

Report it. Fuck all will happen of course, but if he makes a habit out of shit like that and enough people report it they might look into it. I always report that sort of crap and make a point of telling the seller just because it annoys me so much. You stick something up for auction, you takes your chances. Seems to happen a lot with retro games actually. It happened to me on a Lynx game just the other day, in fact.

Ok guys, finally picked one of these up from a forum member recently. 

Got it it plugged in last night to see how it runs. 

Ive plugged w mega drive into it via RGB.  Whilst it appears to work there is a lot of flickering and drop out of signal. 

Can an anyone point me to a good resource for setting it up correctly, ie I'm not sure if the flickering is a problem with the unit or something I'm doing wrong myself. 

It could also be related to using a modded PAL system. Are you using a modded PAL Megadrive and switching a PAL Game to 60Hz?

There's a problem with doing that, as it doesn't create a prober 60Hz refresh rate, it's like 59.3Hz and the Framemeister doesn't like it that much. 

You can view diagnostics on the input signal via Status > Full Status.  

• 1 month later...

Ok. So I've been trying this with rgb / component ps2. 

Starting to to see why people like these things. 

Ive googled settings for these consoles and prefer my own tweaking. 

However, I notice when dealing with scan lines that they're often not equidistant between one another?  Ie it looks like two lines of graphical data, scanline(which I can widen etc) then two lines of dat again. 

The xRGB is an awesome thing. 

You shouldn't be using Scanlines with the PS2 (unless you're playing an old PS1 game) 

The PS2 primarily outputted a 480i signal, and you wouldn't see scan lines with that resolution. 

Scanlines work for older consoles that output a 240p image using just one interlaced field, pretty much every console before the Dreamcast uses a 240p output. 

Scanlines look uniform and correct if you set the output to 720p when scaling a 240p image (it's a perfect x3)

On 2/12/2016 at 8:26 AM, Droo said:

Ive plugged w mega drive into it via RGB.  Whilst it appears to work there is a lot of flickering and drop out of signal. 

Can an anyone point me to a good resource for setting it up correctly, ie I'm not sure if the flickering is a problem with the unit or something I'm doing wrong myself. 

On 3/14/2016 at 11:00 PM, Droo said:

Ive googled settings for these consoles and prefer my own tweaking. 

However, I notice when dealing with scan lines that they're often not equidistant between one another?  Ie it looks like two lines of graphical data, scanline(which I can widen etc) then two lines of dat again. 

Hey Droo,

I said I would give you advice and I'm sorry for the late reply!

Ok, first things first. Every scart cable you use needs to use CSYNC (also known as "composite sync"). If you don't you'll have sync problems like you are talking about. The best place to buy any and all retro gaming cables is retrogamingcables.co.uk. Here is a link to a megadrive one cable. link Remember to choose CSYNC when ordering. A fair few cables don't use pure composite sync. Fuck knows why. Also, fuck knows why the damn think needs only one way of syncing, when every fucking telly works regardless. That said, once you get the right cables, the thing is complete magic.

As for the profile stuff, I would recommend you download the profiles from this guy: link The guy is completely OCD when it comes to making pixel perfect profiles for every main console. If you copy them to a mini-sd card, plug that into your XRGB you can then just select the profile you want for the console you are using at the time. They have all been set-up to have perfect scanlines as well and look completely the boss. I would recommend you stick to the 5x profile. This makes the console picture fullscreen 4:3 ratio. It cuts off 4 pixels from the top and bottom, but I think the larger picture is worth the slight missing edges.

Information is quite hard to come by regarding how to use the thing and eliminating problems. This is the only thread I've found discussing the thing and has proved useful in the past to get my Snes, MD and N64 working properly. They now all look and work great.

Tommy.

The profiles from the Pixel Purist are really cool and I've got them loaded onto my own Framemeister... buuuuut.. there's a thing. 

Retro pixels are not meant to be square, The CRT phosphors RGB pixels are actually a little wider than they are taller. 

There's also the fact that almost all of these old consoles don't output a proper 4:3 image. at 240p, the 4:3 image should be 640x240 but it's actually 720x240. There's usually junk at either side of the image. 

The Screen setting 'Normal2' actually properly scales the image (at 1080p) to take up a perfect 5x4 pixels per retro pixel and it's a little wider than 4:3. This is actually the most accurate representation you'll get to what the game would look like on a CRT... of course on a CRT the overscan will crop the image to 4:3 and cut out the junk. 

The 5x5 Pixel Purist profile will squish the image into a 4:3 area. 

• 1 month later...

Interested in going down this route - I want to share some uncomplicated, two-button 8-bit gaming with my daughter, but can't stand TV scaling. Also interested in exploring the 16-bit era later, now Everdrives etc have improved so much.

Anyone know if the xRGB Mini is tolerant of the not-quite 60Hz output of some modded PAL consoles like the Megadrive?

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

@Alexlotl The Framemeister hates and can't process the weird - not quite 60 Hz - that you get with a PAL modded Megadrive. I bought one, didn't work, sold it, bought a proper Genesis and an Everdrive and haven't looked back since. 

Cheers. Any idea if the PAL Sega Master System has the same issue?

On 07/05/2016 at 9:42 AM, Alexlotl said:

Interested in going down this route - I want to share some uncomplicated, two-button 8-bit gaming with my daughter, but can't stand TV scaling. Also interested in exploring the 16-bit era later, now Everdrives etc have improved so much.

Anyone know if the xRGB Mini is tolerant of the not-quite 60Hz output of some modded PAL consoles like the Megadrive?

I use a framemeister with about 15 consoles all wired up through various switchers etc.  I have a standard PAL Megadrive which looks fantastic along with modded SNES and modded N64, both of which also look great running at NTSC speeds.  I think it's the best thing since slide bread personally and would recommend it to everyone.

Cheers...

It is a bit of a faff to get working properly, but when you do it is certainly excellent. 

I I have a ps1 and ps2 going through it at the moment both via RGB and one modded for 60hz. Both look amazing. 

I I can't stress enough though, it is a faff. 

I really want one at some point - faff or now faff - just to be able to have everything connected to one TV and get rid of the CRT.

I assume the best place to order one is direct from them and then you have to pay shipping etc - no UK stockists?

It's not a Faff at all. 

You had flicker issue with a Megadrive? That'll just be a sync issue. 

I'd recommend this site for cables in general - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

the xRGB comes packed with a JP21 adaptor which looks exactly like a SCART head.

That should be immediately binned. Don't use it as the pins are wired differently including the voltage pin. 

Get this with a built in sync-stripped and you won't get any sync issues - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/micomsoft-xrgb/european-scart-to-framemeister-xrgb-mini-converter-with-csync-lm1881-for-sale

• 1 month later...

There's isn't one I'm pretty sure.

I'd recommend going for it off the official site. I got really great service from them and it arrived super fast, less than 5 working days.

By the official site, do you mean Solaris or the Micomsoft site itself? The latter seems considerably more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

These are 10% off this weekend from Solaris with the code MICOMSALE...

...which combined with the 10% drop in the value of sterling means that they cost the same as they did yesterday.

Anyway, just bought one, figured I was being given a second chance. Expect help requests for teething troubles!

On 2/16/2015 at 2:32 PM, Riven said:

Looking for a cheaper option at this stage, and just required for SNES and N64 really.

Can anyone confirm if these are as good as the one demoed by Adam?

12 minutes ago, markpsych said:

Looking for a cheaper option at this stage, and just required for SNES and N64 really.

Can anyone confirm if these are as good as the one demoed by Adam?

mine's still boxed, in the drawer. I should try and demo it, right?