IGNORED

Alien: Isolation

Hexx

I did start it on Hard on account of the menu recommendation, but I'm already having trouble with my first group of survivors, so I might have to dial it back while I get into the right frame of mind. Assuming the difficulty even has any effect at that stage...

Remember to use the tools. I made the game much harder for myself for a good long while because I was hoarding stuff. It's stupid, trust me - if you look around you get tonnes of parts so it's best just to use gadgets as you feel the need.

Oh, yeah, don't forget that you can bang surfaces with the wrench to attract attention too.

When I read reviews stating that Hard Mode might be grating a bit after dying 80 times in the same room I think I'll skip.

Yeah, let's take the most extreme possible outlier we can and judge the difficulty on that. If someone has died 80 times (which sounds completely implausible, i assume you're exaggerating) in any section, or even a quarter of that, than they're really not grasping the mechanics.

Look, it's a challenge but it's not crazy hard at all. If it was, i'd tell you. It's not Dark Souls or anything near it.

When I was at an early point in the game I made a post here expressing frustration about what i perceived as the unpredictability of the alien, that I was being killed a lot and it seemed unfair because the alien appeared erratic.

But not long after I realised that I hadn't thought about what was going on properly and I hadn't recognised that the alien being in the vents meant that the floor were briefly free, that I didn't have to worry about sightlines. I hadn't understood that I needed to move when the alien was in the vents.

I just hadn't grasped how to play the game properly at that point and I got a bit frustrated. It wasn't because the game was insanely hard, it was because I hadn't figured it out. Hard, of course, punishes you harder for mistakes and asks more of you with needing to put more work into avoiding the alien. But quoting stuff like people dying 80 times makes it sound broken when it is not in the least bit broken.

To be honest it's not even that hard, let alone broken hard.

I did start it on Hard on account of the menu recommendation, but I'm already having trouble with my first group of survivors, so I might have to dial it back while I get into the right frame of mind. Assuming the difficulty even has any effect at that stage...

In my experience that was the most troubling point of the game. As the first encounter, you don't have a full grasp of where the boundaries are. Some people breezed through but I struggled, and was coming fairly close to dropping the difficulty. Luckily, I made it through and never looked back.

There are plenty of points which are difficult in the game thanks to the proximity of the Alien and the often claustrophobic level design, but this was the only point where I felt frustrated by failure rather than challenged and terrified.

Btw if you're playing this on PC you can remove the annoying intro videos, double the shadow resolution and decrease the Level of Detail (LOD) distance with a couple of file tweaks.

You can also make the floors, uh, much more shiny and reflective if you'd like that.

The most recent patch seems to have introduced a few new bugs. There's the old fan favourite of floating guns, but there's a new one I've found where it plays one of the longer audio logs every time you die and/or restart. Anyone else had that? It's particularly annoying on the harder, later bits.

To me, the attraction in a game like this should be in weighing the risk of skittering from hither to dither... of thinking "Right, the alien is x clicks away so I can venture y meters before holing up again." Where it's falling down for me is that dither is almost always out of view and is, very often, when Mr Alien is hanging out. Even if you wait to see it go into a vent before moving, there's every chance it's headed to the same location as you!

I just dropped it down to novice from medium because I was sick to fucking death of listening to Lingard's message but nope, Ripley is just as crap at holding her breath regardless. Dead again! I can't fathom what the advocates are seeing in this. Being randomly killed isn't a game. Not having enough info to weigh up a risk isn't gameplay. Is it purely nostalgia? Is it my fault for finding a roving two-mouthed dildo with its own jazz-hands meme silly rather than terrifying? Getting caught makes me sigh. It's a "classic xenomorph" simulator / sigh actuator.

This game should give Ripley weapons, so she can shoot herself in the head and relieve the boredom.