IGNORED

Alien: Isolation

Hexx

Molotovs make it disappear quick sharp!

Otherwise you'll just have to hide and creep. The game is currently throwing flamethrower fuel at me though. Which bit are you on?

I'm supposed to find a way for the Torrens to dock. The alien is with me all the way now. Even if I scare it off, it's back within seconds. Using the laser cutter is just pot luck as to whether the alien will suddenly appear and kill me.

It's worth noting that a quick blast will normally scare the Alien away, no need to keep your finger on the trigger.

I found that out for myself very late into my playthrough.

Doesn't work anymore for me. I think it's learnt. A quick blast and it just backs off a bit then approaches. One encounter with the alien seems to lose me around 100 fuel. I've taken to letting it knock me down so I lose health rather than fuel, because I have enough health packs.

Oh man, that happened to me last night and I just laughed hysterically as it murderised me.

I think I know the exact bit you're on. Is everything on fire?

lots of fire! I think I'm on the very last bit now - and I've picked up more fuel.

Aliens! Thousands of them! (Well, about 3 or 4 anyway)

Oooh, do want. Forgive my noobness, but if I buy the disc, does it just add it to my Steam collection (and give all the benifits thereof, such as me being able to download it from Steam to another computer later)?

Apparently you get a steam code in the box.

Finished the main game last night. I might do a longer post about it at some point, but generally I don't think there was much more the game could have done to please me as an Alien fan. Any misgivings regarding fidelity to the license are incredibly minor, and the remaining complaints are more to do with gamey elements of which many other titles are equally guilty. Generally it's a tremendous achievement and I can't understand why more people aren't playing it.

Finished the main game last night. I might do a longer post about it at some point, but generally I don't think there was much more the game could have done to please me as an Alien fan. Any misgivings regarding fidelity to the license are incredibly minor, and the remaining complaints are more to do with gamey elements of which many other titles are equally guilty. Generally it's a tremendous achievement and I can't understand why more people aren't playing it.

I'm actually surprised by how well it did commercially, considering the blanket negativity of the U.S reviews. I scoffed at my flatmate when he said "what's the point then?" when I explained you couldn't kill the alien, but remembered the developers surprise at similar comments at a past E3.

The public has been exposed to so many 'pulse-rifle' aliens games that it immediately associates that with the licence, anything more thoughtful and considerate feels like, ironically, a perversion to Joe Public. Considering how focus tested games are now, I thank my lucky stars we got something like Alien:Isolation at all. Wishing for some kind of sequel almost seems greedy.

I'd laugh like a drain if there was a follow up that heavily featured a pulse rifle in promos and then you start playing, everything goes to shit within 30 minutes and it soon becomes apparent those 4 mags you start with have have to last you the entire game and you may as well not use them anyway because "lol, there's no ammo, no support, good luck getting through this hive alone alerting every fucker for miles around with your rapidly-depleting gunshots, son". They could sucker so many angry FPS nerds, the rage tears would be beautiful.

Doesn't work anymore for me. I think it's learnt. A quick blast and it just backs off a bit then approaches. One encounter with the alien seems to lose me around 100 fuel. I've taken to letting it knock me down so I lose health rather than fuel, because I have enough health packs.

I played the game on hard and didn't have to use as much fuel to deter the alien in that section. I know what you mean about it backing off but if you advance on it and give it a quick blast it'll clear off the second time.

Here's me pausing at a save point, picking up the pad and pressing No by mistake and having to do just that.

No idea why the clip seems so stuttery but you get the picture. Some kind of spoiler, obviously.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=2770517985067988&gamertag=Wahwah%20Uk&vid=5bc28722-6a52-4cbc-be64-6eb88da35de4

Yes, that is from the console's own app. I don't know if Microsoft have their own version of that site at the moment, but it's pretty cool that shared clips can be shared and browsed on that third party website. You can tweet them direct to twitter from the console too, I believe, I haven't tried that though.

On mission 13 of this and absolutely gripped.

I've not felt tension like in the hospital level in a game for years. I just wanted to climb under a desk and stay there.

I'm almost glad I'm playing this on the council 360 version. I don't think improved photo realism would be good for me.

Just finished this. Bloody hell, what a game. I genuinely don't think I'd have believed you if you'd told me anyone would ever make an Alien game this good. When the sirens are going off, or there's fire everywhere, and then you spot the alien skulking in the distance, it really could be a scene straight out of the films.

It's not without its flaws - mainly when the Alien is absent, and I think time has helped me to forget just how crap the first hour or so on the Sevastpol was - but it makes up for them many, many times over. And a special mention for the sound design, which is absolutely bang-on the whole way through, particularly when put through a decent headset.

At one point, it looked like this year was going to be short on top-quality games, but my last three have been the Last of Us Remastered, Destiny and this. I can't remember playing three games that good in a row for a long time.

It wasn't the quiet wandering around I didn't like (on the contrary), but the first encounter with human enemies, with no real explanation of how the stealth mechanics work or where you're meant to be going. I had to resort to a guide to get past that bit, which set thing off on the wrong foot. But boy did it improve.

Yeah, I did struggle on that bit, playing on hard, but curiously as soon as I got my head around it and got through the door, the game immediately kicked up the tension to factors not seen since I pulled the elastic back just a little too far on my peg-gun when I was six. Almost as if the relieve of getting through served to amplify the fear that something might fuck me up around the next corner.

Accidental, I'm sure, but it seemed to work. :)

Crew Expendable must be the worst dlc ever? Very short and nothing in it you hadn't already done before, It has 1 part in the vents that's good but only lasts about 30 seconds, no wonder it was free, Well, it was for me anyway, I thought they were joking when it was back to the menu

Crew Expendable must be the worst dlc ever? Very short and nothing in it you hadn't already done before, It has 1 part in the vents that's good but only lasts about 30 seconds, no wonder it was free, Well, it was for me anyway, I thought they were joking when it was back to the menu

I thought it was OK, it did offer something different in that the environment is so small that I had to play differently, and it's hard as nails (I thought - compared to the main game on hard, anyway).

I'd rather this kind of incentive to purchase early than a special weapon or outfit at least.