Alien: Isolation

Played about half an hour on PC - the atmosphere is completely nailed. 100% flashbacks from having watched Alien a couple of nights ago.

BTW I'm on PC, its running at locked 60fps with maxxed out settings on a 780 ti. Cutscenes don't seem jerky, but noticeably lower-res than actual gameplay.

Atmosphere is nailed indeed, but the excessive graffiti really is trying to ruin it for me. Sounds extreme, right? Only a few textures, isn't it? Just ignore them etc etc. Unforunately they're plastered everywhere. I mean everywhere. Every spare inch of wallspace has to have some. In the last few minutes alone I noted down the ones I encountered:

He lied to us.
WHORE.
B.
Left to rot.
NO HOSPITAL. NO AUTHORITY. NO HOPE.
COLONIAL PIGS.
KEEP OUT.
Tomorrow Together = No Future.
Help!

It's pretty embarrassing, really. Can anyone further along confirm if the graffiti calms down a bit later?

Atmosphere is nailed indeed, but the excessive graffiti really is trying to ruin it for me. Sounds extreme, right? Only a few textures, isn't it? Just ignore them etc etc. Unforunately they're plastered everywhere. I mean everywhere. Every spare inch of wallspace has to have some. In the last few minutes alone I noted down the ones I encountered:

He lied to us.

WHORE.

B.

Left to rot.

NO HOSPITAL. NO AUTHORITY. NO HOPE.

COLONIAL PIGS.

KEEP OUT.

Tomorrow Together = No Future.

Help!

It's pretty embarrassing, really. Can anyone further along confirm if the graffiti calms down a bit later?

Maybe it turns out that the alien is also a vandal as well.

I don't mind functional messages scrawled on walls, "keep out", "trespassers will be shot", that kind of thing, but all those slogans are ridiculous. Especially without a "REMEMBER CITADEL" in sight.

They do calm down a bit later though, when you leave what would have been the more populated civilian areas of the station.

Going to order from the game collection for the first time as its only £35. What are they like for pre orders and getting games out on time. Are the games all uk games and not foreign?

I ordered from them on Thursday. They dispatched it first class yesterday and it arrived today, release day. I think someone else (Eighthours?) got his at the weekend. And it's a UK copy, yeah.

Only an hour or so in and the environments are wonderfully realised but for fuck's sake, this obsession with crazy wall graffiti in dystopian games needs to die. Where did it start? System Shock? Half Life? It was all over the place in Bioshock and Dead Space. Portal too. It's such a fucking cliche by this point. Oh, oh, how shall we convey that society has gone to total shit in our game? How about we spray a bunch of discontented phrases all over the walls? THEY BETRAYED US ALL, LEAVE THIS GODFORSAKEN PLACE, that kind of thing. Because that's what people do when civilised communities break down catastrophically - they run around painting slogans on walls. It's so unfathomably stupid, not to mention lazy. Bah.

And yet it was used to wonderful effect in Left 4 Dead, so it can be done right.

Damn...my ineptitude at resisting carries on. Downloading it as we speak...admittedly, I suspect the speed it's downloading it will mean I'll not be playing it for hours, but it'll be there. In my library...along with all the others.

Having just picked up the 360 version, I've just read there are androids in the game. How prevalent are they? I thought this was a survival horror - I don't like the idea of shooting random androids.

I'm having trouble already...

I'm looking for the data cell for the security tuner but I can't seem to get past the guys patrolling the lobby. Am I doing it wrong?

I'm stuck on exactly the same part. Really tough to stay hidden, and if I'm spotted it's extremely difficult to flee before being killed. Playing on Hard though - might have to drop down the difficulty.

Having just picked up the 360 version, I've just read there are androids in the game. How prevalent are they? I thought this was a survival horror - I don't like the idea of shooting random androids.

There are a few (they're mass-produced cheap things, not like Weyland-Yutani's androids) but rest assured that it's not some sort of FPS where you just shoot them no bother.

I don't mind functional messages scrawled on walls, "keep out", "trespassers will be shot", that kind of thing, but all those slogans are ridiculous. Especially without a "REMEMBER CITADEL" in sight.

They do calm down a bit later though, when you leave what would have been the more populated civilian areas of the station.

Heh, a System Shock ref would be fantastic actually, but otherwise I agree.

A full on riot should result in only things like 'fuck cops', not a bloody treatise on the duality of man.

There are a few (they're mass-produced cheap things, not like Weyland-Yutani's androids) but rest assured that it's not some sort of FPS where you just shoot them no bother.

Would I be correct in assuming it's also a danger in getting too noisy in dealing with them ? ie the alien hears it and comes right to you.

Would I be correct in assuming it's also a danger in getting too noisy in dealing with them ? ie the alien hears it and comes right to you.

Mechanical spoiler more than anything else:

It takes a second to steady your aim with the gun after each shot so it's easy to miss; it also takes around 5 bullets to the head to put down an android (plus some whacks with a maintenance jack for good measure). The most bullets I've ever had at one time has been 13 and there is almost always more than one android around, so it's really not an effective playstyle to try to put down the androids.

Maybe it's a technical thing, but I would have thought that if you cast a prominent shadow, you'd either have to make the enemies able to see the shadow and react to it (which could make the game unfairly difficult), or deal with the ludonarrative dissonance *vomits blood* of your shadow going unnoticed.

I'm stuck on exactly the same part. Really tough to stay hidden, and if I'm spotted it's extremely difficult to flee before being killed. Playing on Hard though - might have to drop down the difficulty.

I just did this. I slowly killed them off one by one, each time running out the room and saving. Cheap I know, but it was the only way I could do it on hard mode. Just wish this felt as good as Destiny, but it feels a bit floaty to me... Running and crouching are hassle too. Frame rate is still all over the shop. Wonder if the bone version is better? Surely this is going to get patched.