IGNORED

Alien: Isolation

Hexx

4 hours ago, Jamin said:

Fantastic video thanks for posting. This game is criminally undercooked and is still my favourite narrative driven single player game of the last few years.

Seems a sequel will be unlikely which is a damned shame. I kind of hope it comes to PS+ on PS4 soon so as to give it more exposure. 

Hmm do think it might? I bought a copy for my PS3 a month ago and put an hour or so into it. No Alien yet. Anyway bought a PS4 pro last week and well would I be better playing on that? I'd say it seems playable enough on PS3 and I wouldn't really buy a copy for the 4. Should I just go ahead and play it or wait for a possible psn+ release?

After reading this thread last night I was determined to play this, have had it for ages but never got far into it, but I can't even watch horror movies at night without getting twitchy. Need to play in the evenings then watch something funny before I go to bed! Will have a go on this after, only got about an hour into it before and as a huge fan of the original film, I really should play it through

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

During my teens Aliens would haunt my dreams sometimes. Guess who paid me a visit in my dreams when playing this game? 

Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything. :coffee:

I figure it could get grim, but I'm going to give it a go. Just started and got onto the Sevastapol. 

Playing the 'Medical' section before the Alien had killed me for the first time was the single most terrifying experience I'd ever had in a game. Even after that, for the first few times the Alien saw me I'd have to turn around and face a wall (in the game obvs) rather than see it pelting toward me and killing me.

Many deaths later, the Alien went from terrifying to really fucking annoying though and I gave up about halfway through. I will go back and finish it at some point, but I'm definitely dialling down the difficulty from 'hard' when I do.

I've only seen the Alien twice, I'm still pretty near the start, but the whole game has me tense while I walk around. Definitely not playing this late at night. The atmosphere is superb though, the tech from the film is brilliantly recreated. I am sure there is a section coming where I will come face to face with the Alien for the first time shortly, not really looking forward to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant. Thanks for the heads up - just treated myself to a digital copy (sixth copy of the game I've bought, including gifts for people).

Meanwhile I've gone back to Survivor Mode on the PS4. Managed to set a time on Basement of 55:01 secs which is about 0.6 secs off the best non hacked time:

Here's a video of my best run so far:

Anyone else up for trying to set a time? Basement is the level with the highest level of competition as everyone has it.

Try Survivor Mode our people, Alien Isolation is a surprisingly good racing game :)

On 31/01/2017 at 09:30, RubberJohnny said:

Anyone enjoying RE7 at the moment should play this. It's a bit less accessible (no running and evading once spotted, getting caught is insta-kill for most of the game), and with a bit less variety (due to fewer action beats) but is just really good.

Thanks for this heads up! I put 6 hours into Alien: Isolation over the weekend and RE7 definitely owes a lot to this game. I'm quite hardened to horror movies and games, but man, this is terrifying. £8 with all DLC too! Bargain!

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd give this another go with Covenant coming out this week and having never really giving it a chance the first time round. 4 missions in and I've had a few minor panic attacks already. Saying that I'm a complete wuss when it comes to horror but trying to slowing change that before tackling RE7 :/ 

I want to love Isolation but it's too scary for me. I basically gave up in terror before even meeting Alan, just because of the general air of foreboding. I think there was a bit where some human[oid] baddies were looking for me and I had to hide under some floor grates, or something. So tense, couldn't cope. 

3 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I want to love Isolation but it's too scary for me. I basically gave up in terror before even meeting Alan, just because of the general air of foreboding. I think there was a bit where some human[oid] baddies were looking for me and I had to hide under some floor grates, or something. So tense, couldn't cope. 

I can only play in 20 minute burst before it becomes too much and having to take a wee break. I'll probably still be playing this game next year at this rate :unsure:

8 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Thought I'd give this another go with Covenant coming out this week and having never really giving it a chance the first time round. 4 missions in and I've had a few minor panic attacks already. Saying that I'm a complete wuss when it comes to horror but trying to slowing change that before tackling RE7 :/ 

RE7 isn't that bad, and nowhere near the length of Alien. If you can survive Alien, RE7 is a joke in comparison.

11 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I can only play in 20 minute burst before it becomes too much and having to take a wee break. I'll probably still be playing this game next year at this rate :unsure:

That's exactly how I am. Maybe playing it through my headphones at night with the lights off doesn't help either.

Well over a year, and I'm still going back to play it bits at a time!

16 hours ago, kris_doe said:

I played this a couple of years ago on the rift DK2 when VR worked for it - you want to know what too much feels like?? - find a dk2 and wait for Alan to show up!!!

I've only played a bit of this, but what I like about it is how, so far at least, every "jump scare" (read: something grabbing you from out of your field of vision) is totally avoidable: if you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, you can stop things sneaking up on you. Much better than scripted at-the-screen nonsense.