rllmuk
acidbearboy

Your Favourite Videogame Jungle/Rave Music.

I did this a while ago on NTSC-UK, with a reasonable response, but I've been listening to loads of Jungle lately (including some vgm arrangements) and thought I'd try again here. So post up your favourites - old or new, originals or arrangements. Just be sure to label your videos if you're posting youtube links, please - nothing worse than returning to an old thread only to find dead links and no info!

A few to start you off...

Castlevania Chronicles - Thrashard in the Cave (Arrange Version)

Street Fighter III Third Strike - Akuma Stage "Killing Moon"

Pilotwings - Fly (OC Remix)

Nights (Xpressive Recordings Drum & Bass Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcqHK1wVXkY

Ridge Racer - Rhythm Shift

• Upvote 6

Not sure if these count but...

Killing Moon is a good shout, although I also enjoy this... (Gill's Theme - Psych Out)

Also liked this from Psyvariar; it's pretty simple but quite nice... (Track 05 - Valley)

on the other side, I was looking through one of my fav PS2 RPGs Star Ocean for something that might fit in here. I found this, but it is admittedly shit. The voice parts crack me up though so I felt I needed to include it here.

Could maybe stick this in the music thread? :)

Nah man, this is strictly videogame business! The music folder has dedicated Jungle & Drum N Bass threads anyway.

I love that arrange version of Thrashard in the Cave, not sure I'd have had it down as jungle or rave despite a thumping bass there!

Jungle can be light too. It's the beat that defines it for me.

Jesus, you don't get more niche than video game Jungle music,

This is alright, drums are pretty weak though: [R4 Music]

I do love niche! Lucid Rhythms, like the rest of the R4 OST, is great (including the drums - see above)

Bonds of steel is awesome too! I always maintained I didn't like jungle, my iPod now proves this was a lie

I don't really think this track is Jungle. It has the tempo, but not the rhythm or style. I'd call it videogame jazz-funk - sounds like it could be played by a live band/drummer. The drum palette and general tightness of it all make it sound like Shinji Hosoe to me. Love his Under Defeat soundtrack, amongst others.

Here's another smasher, taken from the PSO Premium Arrange album. It starts off all cool and calm and then gets heavy after the break midway through.

Manabu Namiki - The Frenzy Wilds (from Phantasy Star Online Episodes I&II)

Castlevania Chronicles is the PS1 remake of the Sharp X68000 game, which was never released outside of Japan or ported to more popular formats. The original version of the track is also very good, as you would expect from Castlevania.

I don't really think this track is Jungle. It has the tempo, but not the rhythm or style. I'd call it videogame jazz-funk - sounds like it could be played by a live band/drummer. The drum palette and general tightness of it all make it sound like Shinji Hosoe to me. Love his Under Defeat soundtrack, amongst others.

Ibara is his work :) there's some really fast D&B on that soundtrack

I'll try and remember to check that one out - not played the game.

I just checked the audio on Zap Snowboarding Trix and although the soundtrack is 90% punk, there are a couple of electronic tracks at the end, including this Italo House inspired track.

There was a great Jungle track on Sega Worldwide Soccer 97(?) too. Can't find it anywhere online though. Perhaps the US version replaced the good stuff with the bland rock music found on youtube.

Shameless self-promotion here, but I provided a tune for a little-known PS1 game called Tank Racer in 1998. Done with FastTracker 2 and not much else.

It's not a bad soundtrack, here's another tune from it, it's very 1998, as you can hear:

Shame they're low-quality vids.

• Upvote 3

Been almost a year, but I found a couple more good tracks on a little known Sega Saturn import called Vatlva. Audio ripped directly from the game disc so no artist or title info I'm afraid. I've not even had chance to play the game yet so I can't even say when or where they appear.

Track #11 - Jungle Riddims

Track #13 - Happy Hardcore

Track #14 - Hardcore Techno

• Upvote 1

From a D&B perspective (since I could probably go on for ages about rave soundtracks)...

From GTA (original):

From Wipeout:

From Destruction Derby:

From Steep Slope Sliders:

From THPS3 (not strictly D&B, but included for excessive Amen break :P):

(they also had a VG-style music video

Will probably add more later...

On 21/10/2013 at 21:23, Vimster said:

Shameless self-promotion here, but I provided a tune for a little-known PS1 game called Tank Racer in 1998. Done with FastTracker 2 and not much else.

It's not a bad soundtrack, here's another tune from it, it's very 1998, as you can hear:

Shame they're low-quality vids.

Quality stuff. Also, props for making it in Fast Tracker 2! I went from Protracker on the Amiga to Fast Tracker 2 on PC with a SoundBlaster 16 and the freedom of having more than 4 tracks was almost too much for me.