Vocaloid games - Hatsune Miku, IA and others

1 hour ago, shynra said:

in the customise menu you can set it to PlayStation buttons /arrows etc. I just done that and I'm doing fine now. 

do you know if it can be set it to arrows only? (as in no X/O/A/B etc.)

• 3 months later...
On 13/05/2015 at 22:56, strawdonkey said:

Oh cool - I completely forgot there was DLC for this.

Which is good as now I've E-ranked everything on Hard, and am partway through E-ranking Extreme. Apparently my brain is broken as all I want to do is play PDF2.

Didn't realise it was five years ago that I went through a mini-obsession with PDF2. I also didn't realise that I'd managed to get an Excellent rank on most of the tracks on Extreme difficulty, which having recently started playing Project Diva Mega Mix feels like a very distant and unattainable prospect, though being five years older isn't helping with that either.

Main thing that's throwing me off at the moment is that the block arrows from PDF2 (where you have to press the same direction on both sides of your controller) have been replaced with times where you have to press two different buttons at the same time. I think there's a pattern to these, but they approach so quickly that I'm really struggling to get my brain around them and usually just end up mashing two buttons and hoping it's the right ones. It usually isn't.

The song list is immense - I went in on the bundle that has all the DLC included and we're at something like 160 songs; not all of them are available below Hard difficulty, but even chewing through Normal with ~130 songs is taking a while. There's more than enough game here to last a very long time and it's also the first thing that's been able to drag me away from Animal Crossing for any significant length of time which is saying something! 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about nine hours in and have only just finished my first run through of Project Diva Mega Mix. There is an absurd amount of content.

EaYVwkAUYAAy9Gm.thumb.jpeg.ef45766bb5768cfab2654fafcff49b44.jpeg

Not looking forward to playing Popipo - a song that appears to be about how brilliant vegetables are - multiple times.

2 hours ago, shynra said:

You have not finished yet! There's a free dlc pack out now, 4 extra songs! 

Argh

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't realised. 

Started on Hard and it's not as bad as I thought, it's consistency that's the problem rather than not being able to deal with the patterns. Extreme is another thing entirely as there is a huge reliance on sequences of combinations that I just can't get my head around (yet).

• 1 month later...

So the DLC for Future Tone on the PS4 with the new songs from the Switch version has appeared, for those who are interested. I'll certainly be picking it up for myself and my strangely Miku savant son!

Good too see the game on more platforms but also good to see that they are adding that new content to Future Tone on PS4, and £11.99 seems reasonable for 10 new songs

• 2 weeks later...

First set of DLC for Megamix is out today. Seems very soon, I'm 40+ hours in and still haven't scratched the surface of what's in the base game - still working through Hard and preparing for Extreme.

Anyway of course I'm buying the season pass why do you ask

DLC then. There's seven new tracks which are the usual fare, nothing leaps out as being a huge highlight but they're all fine. [Edit] Bless Your Breath is pretty good in fairness

The SEGA pack is something else. Three tracks that truly capture the essence of SEGA's arcade heritage and exceptional music back catalogue.

First off - the Quartet theme! Which is OK I guess maybe it is really popular in Japan

Second - the Afterburner II one that MW_Jimmy liked! This is pretty good, when placed on the ranking of Instrumentals From Old Videogames With Lyrics Plastered On Top.

Finally, from SEGA's classic racing series, known for its timeless music and exceptional sense of style - 

uh, Power Drift.

This could have been blue skies and classic Outrun music instead, or cool like Ridge Racer 4, but instead Rin is Reiko Nagase's irritating little sister, begins with "Welcome to exciting world" and things don't get any better. There are plenty of other great SEGA tracks that could have been chosen in place of these but here we are, they are delightfully stupid like everything else in this game so I guess it all fits. Worse things have happened in 2020.

There's a few great songs across the 151 (!) currently available that weren't in the Vita/DS games:

Just Be Friends - I could totally see this one at Eurovision

Funny time signatures all over the place on this one.

Like the Wind is one of my favourites on Future Tone, it's great! 

Enjoying the new songs on the PS4 version that came over from the Switch one, Jitterbug is a particularly weird and distracting background, and 39 Music is super cheerful.

The only thing I don't like about Future Tone is the lack of progression in a way, with everything available from the start, it takes away some of the direction. I obviously like being told what to do because I am obviously unhinged complaining about a game that has 248 songs. Project Diva X has that progression but the selection of 40 songs seems pitiful now!

I'm still working through the Hards now. Watching my son play on Extreme with modifiers to make it more difficult is mind boggling. My old man brain and hands just can't move that fast anymore.

The issue with Sega’s arcade driving games is that the most iconic songs didn’t have lyrics.

It’s arguably a good thing they didn’t include this butchering of Magical Sound Shower, complete with lyrics.

29 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Like the Wind is one of my favourites on Future Tone, it's great! 

Enjoying the new songs on the PS4 version that came over from the Switch one, Jitterbug is a particularly weird and distracting background, and 39 Music is super cheerful.

The only thing I don't like about Future Tone is the lack of progression in a way, with everything available from the start, it takes away some of the direction. I obviously like being told what to do because I am obviously unhinged complaining about a game that has 248 songs. Project Diva X has that progression but the selection of 40 songs seems pitiful now!

I'm still working through the Hards now. Watching my son play on Extreme with modifiers to make it more difficult is mind boggling. My old man brain and hands just can't move that fast anymore.

I know what you mean. I found Future Tone overwhelming when I originally bought it and only really got into it earlier this year. You do have to create your own challenges i.e. beat all songs on a set difficulty, then go back to get better rankings etc. There is a Survival Mode which bizarrely is completely hidden away.

51 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I know what you mean. I found Future Tone overwhelming when I originally bought it and only really got into it earlier this year. You do have to create your own challenges i.e. beat all songs on a set difficulty, then go back to get better rankings etc. There is a Survival Mode which bizarrely is completely hidden away.

Its also a weird one with the difficulty, because its based on the arcade version. Normal is way easier than normal on the other games, Hard is harder. And as I'm not going to dedicate hundreds of hours to it, I'd like an in between. I'm currently playing the songs I like on hard and trying to clear everything on normal when I want to just chill out.

And erm, Survival Mode? WTF!!!!!! How did I not know this was in there! Thanks for the heads up, my son will be pleased to see this.

Can't believe we've owned it since launch without knowing this. Bit like when he had properly rinsed the 3DS game, I got it and he noticed some strange sounds on mine. He didn't realise you could chain swipes by keeping the pen on the screen. And he had played at least 60 hours.

I have this on the switch and have never played it before but is it me or is the timing of the button presses a bit off and the tamborine effect when you press a button doesnt seem to suit the sound at all.  It just sounds a bit of a mess?

5 hours ago, Parappa said:

I have this on the switch and have never played it before but is it me or is the timing of the button presses a bit off and the tamborine effect when you press a button doesnt seem to suit the sound at all.  It just sounds a bit of a mess?

Are you playing handheld or on the TV? I find the default calibration is perfect for handheld but you'll likely need to tweak it for TV usage.

You can customise the sound it makes when you hit a button - pick a track, hit X to customise and then there's an option for Button FX.

Regarding yesterday's discussion on Like The Wind, I've probably done it a disservice as I can't stop humming the fucking chorus now.

Also I probably don't have any more reasons to put off moving on to Extreme now:

EesTCPlU8AATLDw.thumb.jpeg.6475dc96604a5433cd075a82ed830cb6.jpeg

Don't think Perfects are worth the time unless it's the only challenge remaining - you have to be good enough to Perfect a track to get an Excellent on Hard and Extreme, the Perfect is just reflective of you being able to put a run together. Given enough time I could Perfect every track on Hard, but life is already miserable enough at present.

11 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Are you playing handheld or on the TV? I find the default calibration is perfect for handheld but you'll likely need to tweak it for TV usage.

You can customise the sound it makes when you hit a button - pick a track, hit X to customise and then there's an option for Button FX.

Yeah I was in TV mode so will take a look at the timings.  I will also give the other SFX a go - cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still playing a fair amount of this, I suspect its relentless positivity in the face of the current real world challenges we're all going through have something to do with that.

Finally broken through the 9 barrier on Extreme - have bullied my way through three of them now (Disappearance, Teo, Romeo and Cinderella) and also Grumpy Waltz at 9.5. Have definitely reached the part of the game where the scales have tipped from "I could perfect this on a good run" to "I will never be able to achieve this".