IGNORED

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

17 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Was it not a bit boring playing it again right away? 

Ive personally been replaying the game on Hard mode and am about halfway throught the game. 

If anything, the experience is even better! All the cutscenes are just as visually stunning and the combat is even improved on a higher difficulty. It forces you to play more within the game's mechanics rather than brute forcing your way through encounters. 

This is is a pretty special game, and certainly worth savoring and blasting through all available difficulties. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ive personally been replaying the game on Hard mode and am about halfway throught the game. 

If anything, the experience is even better! All the cutscenes are just as visually stunning and the combat is even improved on a higher difficulty. It forces you to play more within the game's mechanics rather than brute forcing your way through encounters. 

This is is a pretty special game, and certainly worth savoring and blasting through all available difficulties. 

This is true, though I feel it becomes too unforgiving near the end to really pull off all the crazy shit like this:

http://imgur.com/ta42DdH

Crushing kinda crosses that line, because enemies can kill you in an instant.

Perhaps Normal is the best setting if you want a badass simulator.

My only beef with the combat, which I maintain is some of the best ever in a TPS, is that some of the combat areas near the end are less sandboxy in nature than they are in the rest of the game. It basically becomes a mad dash for power weapons, not in the least because cover gets destroyed real fast.

56 minutes ago, koefoed said:

Aim lock - is that in the Collection too? I'm halfway through the first game but have only been able to manually aim.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is, as I remember playing all 3 with manual aim.

38 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Once you get the combat it is the most satisfying part of the game.

Definitely, I'm glad there is an encounter select as the combat is the main reason for me to replay the game. As much as I liked the story the first time through, I'll mostly be skipping it on new playthroughs. 

Idea for an amazing alternative (slight twist) ending (only read if finished the game)...

Spoiler

You control the child whilst they are in a kiddy adventure playground, your parents teaching you how to traverse everything (like climb up frames and swing on monkeybars) etc.

Or...

Turns out you didn't actually kill Rafe. It was an elaborate ruse and Sam was in on it. Sam and Sully come to visit, but Sully is actually Rafe in disguise. Real Sully is in a cellar in Rafe's dungeon in Scotland. Nate and daughter agree to go out on a day trip with Sam and "Sully". Nate has suspicions all is not well when "Sully" starts giggling and instead of saying "Well I'll be go to hell, Nate" he says "You and your family will suffer for your betrayal".  Nate attacks but Not-Sully and Sam escape with his daughter, and Uncharted 5 starts and Nate, Elena and a superhot Chloe with an ass rendered like you wouldn't believe give chase

Watch Vemsies gif, and then remember:

"The second half becomes a laborious trudge across a small but inexhaustible part of the Malagasy coast searching for the lost pirate colony of Libertalia"

- The Washington Post.

The Uncharted 4 thread fell off the first page and it needs to be there.

There's one little thing that I love about this game too. I'm an audio freak. The way that you can setup the placement of your surround system is awesome. It should be standard from here on in !

Completed it on hard. Slightly embarrassingly, discounting the Vita game, this was the first Uncharted game I'd actually played. Loved it, although the combat did get a bit frustrating at times on certain levels.

I now have the Trilogy so I can play through the first three. Good times!

I knocked through a fair few chapters tonight, up to around 18/19.

Spoiler

So I learnt Sam's secret, reunited with Elena, and had a lengthy flashback.

On returning to the present, I've pushed forwards far enough to spot Sam in my binoculars.

It's been great consistently now. The story sections are surprisingly delicate and well done. The stealth parts are still well put-together.

One story comment

Spoiler

The retcon where Sam and Nate as kids decide that they'll rename themselves to Drake struck a bum note. The whole idea in 1 and 3 was that Nate did believe he was a descendant, wasn't it?

Do you know what is really crazy? It's so creative and ambitious yet you still get 'red' around the screen when getting hit. Weird how EVERYONE does that, only the madness of Kojima finally tried something different with such a standard part of combat games. Anyway, was it just me or was it a bit confusing? Even after 20 hours I didn't quite understand it. Was getting confused if the 'spikes' were coming from in front or behind (especially whilst I'm rotating around).

Played multiplayer last night and actually played a couple of hours, quite enjoying it and I never play multiplayer games. Not sure if it's because it's actually good or just that I don't want to stop playing Uncharted.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

One story comment

Hide contents

The retcon where Sam and Nate as kids decide that they'll rename themselves to Drake struck a bum note. The whole idea in 1 and 3 was that Nate did believe he was a descendant, wasn't it?

Nope. Not to say it wasn't a retcon, but if so it was one made in 3, not 4.

Finished it earlier.

I wasn't impressed, to be honest. Despite the FUCKING AMAZING visuals and solid voice work, the story was pretty damn boring, and it felt so unbelievably drawn out with an insane amount of tedious 'platforming'. The combat was pretty solid, but there wasn't enough of it, weirdly.

Tried the multiplayer, and it had me switching off after about five matches. Fuck loadouts and mysticals and all that bullshit.

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Reveal hidden contents

On returning to the present, I've pushed forwards far enough to spot Sam in my binoculars.

It's been great consistently now. The story sections are surprisingly delicate and well done. The stealth parts are still well put-together.

One story comment

Hide contents

I've already said this previously in the thread, but the retcon of Nate having a brother is by far the most jarring thing about the game for me. He's never mentioned in any other game, and even Marlowe in 3 mentions his mother and father, yet neglects to mention a brother at all. Hell she even says the name of the boarding school, and that the father surrendered "the boy" to the state. Not boy's.

That's literally the only thing I dislike about the game I think.

9 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Reveal hidden contents

One story comment

Hide contents

No , Nate knew he wasn't. Thats made clear in the kid nate chat with Sully in UC3.

31 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

No , Nate knew he wasn't. Thats made clear in the kid nate chat with Sully in UC3.

9 hours ago, Aimless said:

Nope. Not to say it wasn't a retcon, but if so it was one made in 3, not 4.

Thanks guys! I knew it came up in 3, but couldn't remember the details. It was certainly a shift from 1 at that point, wasn't it? He seemed to sort-of believe it then.

23 hours ago, koefoed said:

Aim lock - is that in the Collection too? I'm halfway through the first game but have only been able to manually aim.

I think only the easiest difficulty allows aim lock, it's not available anywhere else. So I appreciated Uncharted 4 making difficulty and aim lock independent choices.

9 hours ago, Meh said:

Finished it earlier.

I wasn't impressed, to be honest. Despite the FUCKING AMAZING visuals and solid voice work, the story was pretty damn boring, and it felt so unbelievably drawn out with an insane amount of tedious 'platforming'. The combat was pretty solid, but there wasn't enough of it, weirdly.

Tried the multiplayer, and it had me switching off after about five matches. Fuck loadouts and mysticals and all that bullshit.

I don't entirely agree with this, but I do think the characterisation is much stronger than the actual story. And it's fair to say that the climbing bits do drag at times. There's no real sense of peril or challenge, and by the 17th time a handheld has crumbled and Nate has dropped down to the one below, you don't even get that slight 'whoa!' sensation where the animation and acting is convincing enough to compensate for the lack of genuine danger. I really enjoyed this for long spells, and I think the seamlessness of it all deserves wild applause - especially in light of the scale and detail of the environments - but it's certainly not without its flaws.  

13 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

I don't entirely agree with this, but I do think the characterisation is much stronger than the actual story. And it's fair to say that the climbing bits do drag at times. There's no real sense of peril or challenge, and by the 17th time a handheld has crumbled and Nate has dropped down to the one below, you don't even get that slight 'whoa!' sensation where the animation and acting is convincing enough to compensate for the lack of genuine danger. I really enjoyed this for long spells, and I think the seamlessness of it all deserves wild applause - especially in light of the scale and detail of the environments - but it's certainly not without its flaws.  

The crumbling ledges are such a missed opportunity. In fact the climbing is one giant missed opportunity. If you had to time a button press to catch a ledge then crumbling masonry would add a real sense of danger. If balance beams had a Tony Hawk style balance system then precarious beam walking would bring you out in sweats. Maybe only introduce these elements on the harder settings for people who just want the cinematic experience. Personally i'd like more game in my game.

I agree with LeChuck, I enjoyed the game a lot and it looks ridiculously nice but personally, the game I want it to be is still more like original Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia, I'd happily they binned all of the shooting sections and just had more clever platforming, puzzling and finding novelty hidden cities and so on.

I also got bored of continually having a partner with me for some reason, the continual leg ups and inexplicable crates on wheels everywhere got repetitive and I realise I prefer the idea of you being the first ever person finding these places, like an actual explorer. It's a personal preference and not related to the game being bad or what have you, I just would prefer it if it was a slightly different game :P

Oh and the one thing that ALL of these 3rd person adventure/ games with climbing and all that have the same problems in my opinion, in that the inconsistency of things you can climb up or over is all over the shop. There's a really silly bit where you need to use a partner to lift a log (to hide a load I'm sure, I know this) but there's a huge gap above the log which looks about the same size as the crawl spaces you go through. Similarly the scale sometimes seems all over the shop with this wall being too high but that wall not and so on.

Oh and back on the leg ups/ knock down able ladder bits, the fact that you have a grapple and rope that you use ALL THE TIME, there's never an occasion or even a reason given for not lowering or throwing the rope to get up somewhere, you have to use a box or whatever. This was even more glaring when there's a bit you have to leave someone behind because they've helped you up to a thing but can't follow you. Weirdly, on that occasion I noticed that on Drake's character model you couldn't see his grapple but then about one jump after leaving, you need to use it, without noticeably picking another one up or anything.

Tiny niggles I know but when everything else is generally so polished, these little things just stick out even more for me.