IGNORED

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

Haven't been on the forum in quite some time but decided to pop in and say that this game is an awe-inspiring masterpiece ! 

I just can't let it go. In chapter 20 now and determined to finish it tonight !

Worth pointing out that Bluepoint when to some lengths to unify Uncharted 1-3. 

They all shared a tweaked version of the Uncharted 2 aiming set up and feel and it makes the whole thing feel a lot more like a full experience. 

The PS4 Uncharted Collection is totally the way to play the old games, they've put a lot of work into it. 

Having played Uncharted 1-3 before this, I felt more invested in the characters, with the exception of the new character in 4. I'd recommend getting the Nathan Drake collection cheap if you can, or renting it/loaned from a mate. I thoroughly enjoyed them all, and had never even thought of playing an Uncharted game before, but I'm glad I did.

As Kevvy said above, the aiming/controls were the same in all 3, so it felt more like I was playing 3 parts of the same game.

Aye, a few people have said they liked 3 as much as (OR MORE THAN!!!!) 2 in the Remastered thread. And that might explain some of what would otherwise be inexplicable. I really didn't enjoy the combat very much in 3 - didn't like the feel of it - and ended up just wanting it over with, but that was the non-remastered version. Now, only now, do I understand how such modern wrongness could have come to be.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Just finished . What an absolute joy of a game . 

Yeah it really was a great experience. Loved it from beginning to end.

As for the ending:

Spoiler

I thought the epilogue with his daughter was a really nice way to wrap the whole series up. It felt like the polar opposite of The Last of Us's opening level but obviously much lighter and tranquil. I liked the nod's to that universe as well with the 'Savage Starlight' poster and also what looked like a hidden poster referencing The Last of Us comic maybe?

It was also a good way for ND to draw a line under the possibility of Nate ever returning. Very cool narrative touch to end it as he finally begins to tell his daughter the tales of his exploits.

I clocked in at 20 hours. Not because I explored everywhere but mainly because I'm rubbish and died a lot.

Bought both the remastered and 4. Started with the first one, played to chapter 4. Haven't played a single player game for a long long time. I think the only games I've finished in like the last 4 years are Halo 4 & 5 and BF3.

I even got the wife to play. :-)

And finished. Great all round. Not sure how I feel about there never being another Uncharted, if that is indeed the case (which I doubt, seeing as how well this has surely sold). Looking forward to the single player dlc that's for sure, though where/when it'll take place is anyone's guess.

Victor Sullivan is probably my favourite character in the Uncharted series. He just steals all the scenes he's in. When he "died" in 3 I knew it wasn't the case as I'd seen that he was in 4. I was a bit concerned if he would make it to the end in this, so It was quite amusing to read the letter in the epilogue.

Also the dog being called "Vicky" :lol: - nice callback to a previous chapter, after the Lemur incident.

All in all, the series has been amazing, especially when I hadn't even considered playing them a few weeks ago. But I cant recommend them enough. What a ride!

I did Chapter 11 last night.  

Spoiler

Market - > Clocktower - > Car Chase

When I'm on my death bed and I inexplicably decide to use my final breaths to once again yabber at my disinterested wife about video games, I think it will get a mention.  I mean, it was just staggering.  The finish is obviously the bit that garners the most attention but the start and the middle were just as good.  Beautifully paced, beautifully structured and just plain beautiful to look at.  Genuinely believe it's up there with Rez Area 5 and Jolly Roger Bay as one of my favourite levels in anything.

Another late one and I finished it. Didn't want it to end and I can't remember a game I devoured so much. I just couldn't stop playing.

As for the ending.

Spoiler

Very clever. There was a moment I thought Sam might bite the dust but of course he didn't. This isn't The Last of Us. The cut to the epilogue was masterful. My guess is that Sam will appear with Sully and Nadine in the DLC. Also, Avery's ship reveal - shivers down the spine.

Goodbye Nathan Drake it was a blast.

Makes me look forward to Tomb Raider Rises too as I just want more of this type of game.

I finished last night as well. Glad I started on hard. Started a second playthrough on crushing straight away but got to chapter 2 and I'm not sure if I can push through the initial part of the game without getting tired of it.

GOTY though. Game of the console so far.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

We should have a separate thread just for photos.

I'm looking at setting one of those up.. Like Parrappa I'm struggling to make progress at the moment due to stopping every few seconds to take pics.

Avoided most trailers and this thread for quite some time, finally finished this last night. Great game that left me disappointed even though the whole thing really is AMAZING is so many ways, I'm very fond of it but listening to GiantBomb today it seems they didn't have high expectations going in where as I've been the complete opposite. I've been following the news of it closely for years. I'm my own worst enemy really. 

Spoiler

Clocked in at 20 hours;

I was expecting them to push barriers just as they did with TheLastOfUs in terms of emotional performances. They learned a lot but it still ultimately felt like a Hollywood movie, which some could argue that's what Uncharted has always been but to put it bluntly I was imagining characters dealing with loss or breakups. I'm not sure why I justify that as a more pleasing way to finish something but that's where my head is at.

When Druckmann said the following on one of the delays;

“Even when I’m describing the ending, it’s a pretty… Well, I guess this is a little bit of a spoil… Nah, I’m not going to say it! But there is something that happens that requires quite a bit of work for what we want it to do, and again we would have had to reduce that scope and reduce that ambition to meet that [original] deadline”.

My mind was imagining something insane, like a dream/death sequence where Nate walks through a corridor that resembles all the iconic parts/characters of the series or something. 

In hindsight, what they do actually do with the epilogue  is pretty unique and it's growing on me. I was playing really late and needed sleep so was rushing through it but I can imagine playing it again and looking in more detail at what there is. 

It just felt too clean and by the numbers at the time, 1 on 1 with the bad guy at the end. Mostly QTE affair. The obvious turn of Naomi. Sam nearly dying but getting saved. Then the epilogue with everyone living happy ever after, all very cookie cutter and unambitious. 

I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for a while, trying to actually imagine what could have really been a better ending. If anything though, I'm glad that they finally listened regarding the final chapters being full of zombies/blue men/demons etc.

Really enjoyed it from start to finish, I think it has several problems but none of them got in the way. Really strong end to the series, though I expect Sony will wheel out the franchise again in some form one day.

Tried multiplayer briefly, it seems fine but nothing I haven't played a hundred times before.

and done. What a fantastic ride. started at chapter 20 but couldn't put it down till I saw it through. I can't praise it enough. Utterly enthralling all the way through. Naughty Dog did an incredible job of tightening up the combat and the visuals from one chapter to the next just kept blowing my balls off. Knowing their next game is probably 3 years away makes me a sad panda but good god man how can they get much better and what they do? As far as character action games go they are so far ahead of the curve.