Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

It's actually spoiler free plot wise and despite showing new footage it doesn't really spoil much that way either, in terms of setpieces or whatever. But you know if you want to avoid seeing anything... I'd day what Naughty Dog have already shown is equally as spoilerific in that sense.

And no he's not gushing, he's trying to give a balanced view. Sadly he's not great at editing; either video footage or his far, far too long review.

23 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I guess he is drooling all over it? I cant watch the video, I'm at work.

He says hilariously earnestly that it has 'the best depiction of a market place in any videogame ever'. I stopped watching after that, I mean what else is there to add? They should put that quote on the box.

In that case you may have missed the bit where he adds 'actually I can't think of any other games that have market places'

Erm, any RPG ever?

Also someone needs to add 'best depiction of a marketplace ever' to the thread title 

The gist of the reactions in the GAF impressions thread could probably be summed up by this comment:

The change in gameplay choices for shooting is miles above the previous games. I was playing Uncharted 2 last night and it's crazy how basic the enemy encounters feel in comparison now.

Apparently the guns feel much punchier and that whole 'wide linear' approach they coined seems to work really well.

Just had an email from Simply Games:

Thank you for your pre-order for Uncharted 4: A Thief's End PS4.

In preparation for release date we are now processing payments for pre-orders.

Due to restrictions put in place by the Publisher we will be receiving our launch stock on Monday 9th of May and despatching all pre-orders the same day.

Thanks again

The SimplyGames Team

2 hours ago, labarte said:

He says hilariously earnestly that it has 'the best depiction of a market place in any videogame ever'. I stopped watching after that, I mean what else is there to add? They should put that quote on the box.

That made me chuckle and I am having a shitty day. Thanks Labarte.

13 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

60% through uncharted 3.

this is the best uncharted game thus far, by quite a margin.

Why'd you think that? I found it the most far fetched, and that's saying something. The child drake escapes the goons scene alone (although it does explain his thirst for blood), never mind the ridiculousness that follows and the arbitrary location hopping.

It's plays the best out of all of them.

more real world locations than the previous games. The Aztec stuff doesn't do it for me generally. It's a strong improvement on a technical level also.

it still suffers from the same problems the previous games have though.The Constant oh I'm falling, damn this doors locked, it's an ambush , step on this stone stuff but on the whole I'm actually enjoying it in hourly chunks throughout the day.

The first game was a mess, the second was a bit of a chore, this one is decent.

I played them on the collection and they all played identically, so I didnt run into the old game issues. I enjoyed all 3 in a dont take it too seriously way. It surprised me when I went online after I beat them, just to read up on some trivia I may have missed and so on, that people considered Drake a realistic hero, an everyman. After all that absurd impossible leaping, instant solving of thousand year old riddles, Naughty Dog were proudly proclaiming him your average joe.  It still shocks me now, I thought the whole point if it was how ridiculously over the top it all was. Oh and the corny lines that made me chuckle constantly emanating from Sully, "i'm too old for this shit", were being proudly touted as absolute genius writing and more movie like than game. I was thinking, did we play the same game? I took it all as silly fantasy but the internet apparantly sees it as dramatic cinema.

I'm not sure about 4 now, and it's mainly because of 3. Or, rather, the effect 3 has had on me.

I played the original not long after release, and despite its flaws really enjoyed it. I looked forward to 2, but didn't expect it to blow me away like it did. It was still a flawed game, and some bits in particular (the last section; some of the early stuff around the museum part) were actually pretty dull. But the vast majority of the game felt slick as hell at the time - the combat environments and the shooting mechanics felt great, and obviously the way character, story and action were integrated (ludonarrativists can kiss my arse) were way above anything else out there. It was just such spectacular fun. These days, 2 doesn't seem anywhere near as top-notch principally because of strides forward in those same areas it once had sovereignty over - not least, strides made by ND themselves in TLOU - but the qualities are still there.

I never bought 3 at the time of release - I played through sections of it at a mate's, and during that experience didn't really take to it at all. The shooting felt... off, somehow. The story seemed to have become not just cartoonish, but had lost all sense. It had literally lost the plot, several times over. And the characters - well, I guess I was just getting a bit tired of the stock responses to everyday situations like falling out of aeroplanes and escaping burning temples and horrific plagues of demonic hellspawn, all framed by a run-into-the-screen Crash Bandicoot sensibility. I guess I'd become one of those people - an Uncharted Cynic. Everything was Uncharted, and it showed. The game had almost become a parody of itself.

So since I'd never finished it, I decided last week to boot up the PS3 and make use of my free PS+ copy. And urgh, what a horrid game. Might not have been helped by the fact that the DS4 I was using doesn't support PS3 rumble, but the guns - the combat - felt weedier than ever. The plot, of course, continued to make no sense at all - actually, playing through the whole thing somehow made it make even less sense than it did in my fragmentary approach to the game originally. It ended up being a (thankfully short) ordeal, and I've ended up questioning whether my pre-order for 4 was wise. Things have moved on in this genre - even ND have, with TLoU - and I'm just not sure I have enough stomach for Drake any more. I think, like with certain other franchises, I might have worn my love for this one out when it reached its very early zenith.

I also think it's equally possible that when I play 4 I'll be just as in awe of ND's mastery of the genre as I was when I first played 2. Cos ND are kinda special like that. But yeah, I'm not a fan of 3 at all, to the extent of wishing I'd never played it. Or at least not very recently.

3 has its highs, but 2 is way more consistent. It has the best pacing and far better encounter design, not in the least because it has better gunplay (with actual hit reactions and stagger) and a better contextual melee system as well. I also like the set-pieces better, as they're more interesting from a mechanical point of view (like the train level). Its story isn't all over the place either and it does a great job of dialing back the action, like the Tenzim chapters or the stroll through the Tibetan village.

I do like the puzzles in the first half of 3 though and the water chapters are great, even though they don't really fit in the story. 

40 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

3 has its highs, but 2 is way more consistent. It has the best pacing and far better encounter design, not in the least because it has better gunplay (with actual hit reactions and stagger) and a better contextual melee system as well.

Yup, that's what put me off the shooting in 3 - I didn't feel like I was actually shooting people. It felt so weak. And the melee stuff pissed me off more than a few times with the way you couldn't easily get out of a punch-up when it started - even if you were getting shot to shit by a bloke next to you, the game didn't want your roll to work, for you to get out of the punch-up, because it insisted you were trying to grab your pugilist opponent even if you were a couple of yards or more away from him. Horrible combat system I thought, and a real step down from 2's. And with the shooting shot to shit, and the plot shot to shit, and the characters being more of the same, there really wasn't a lot to love, environments aside. Some of them were sure pretty, but they felt like icing on a tired old cake.

@Gorf King The UC collection version is top notch technically, it made it a fun romp for me that I'd not suffer through if it was ropey.  The rest is right though, when Mrs Drake (cant remember her name and I only beat all 3 games 2 months ago, thats characterisation for you) drove him to the airport for his last mission, which he then absolutely smashed to bits on his way to the next section (including ramming an old aeroplane into huge warehouse door just to get out of a room and be a puzzle, he couldnt just climb out of a window). Well, it did start to lose that realism oh so carefully built up by the mile long car tunnel under London, accessed via 4 stone pressure points on the ground (a mechanism I cant even fathom how tricky it would be to actually put in place never mind any good reason why instead of just a on off switch) and leading to a secret underground lair populated by about 200 agents in tuxedos and a fully functioning underground library.

Aye, it's obviously not about realism though. It's about the limits of credulity, and about fantasy being internally consistent and with meaningful boundaries. Blah blah something about the difference between the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders and hiding from a nuclear explosion in a fridge.

Thats what I thought, they are stretching this to breaking point here, but online I popped after the completion of 3 (and my kill count of 2200+), the fan comments are raving about the realism, pretentious documentaries made at the time of UC3 presenting me with haunting string music, talking in hushed tones about the creative vision of the series, the beloved nature of our favourite characters, how walking cliche spouter Sully has become almost a grandfather figure to the players.   Errr, no.

I can't say I really care about plot daftness or the plausibility of the set-pieces. It is (or was at least, I'm expecting 4 to be a bit more grounded) the equivalent of a big dumb popcorn flick. All explosions, death defying leaps, mowing down of thousands of bad guys and other things that would never ever happen in real life like nazi zombies, evil yetis and god knows what else. I can suspend my disbelief the same way I would in a Bond or Indiana Jones film. Nor do I give the slightest of shits that Drake mows down hundreds per game. Like, really, it's a third person shooter. The game is primarily to shoot people. Who cares?

That said, I've never loved the series like many do. Uncharted was ok for 2007 but it was often poorly paced with prolonged sections featuring waves and waves and waves of enemies in small arenas. 2 was easily the best and had some great set-pieces and stunning graphics for the time, but I've never felt the need to replay it when compared to, say, RE4 which I've replayed about 5 times now. Too many sections with limited interactivity probably.

I played the first half of the third game via PS+ and really didn't enjoy it. The beginning was achingly slow, the shooting just didn't feel satisfying, the set pieces didn't feel quite there, and it felt like enemies kept rushing Drake just to force the new melee system onto the player which felt stodgy and slow after Batman. I understand the second half has the better moments but it just didn't click with me at all.

I am quite looking forward to 4 though. TLOU was incredible and it seems like they've taken gameplay cues from that. I think they also heard loud and clear that 3 was considered markedly inferior to 2. The levels look more open, the range of approaches less restirctive, and it also looks like an astounding graphical showcase. I wouldn't say I'm chomping at the bit to play it but I am looking forward to it. I'm confident it'll be the best game in the series so far.

It's not that I don't like Uncharted. I liked 1 a lot, and I loved 2. I hope I'll feel the same about 4 - and it wouldn't surprise me at all if I did, ND coming off the back of what they've learned from TLoU. It's just... 3. I really don't care for 3 at all, as it turns out. And I'm hoping ND agree.

24 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

I never bought 3 at the time of release - I played through sections of it at a mate's, and during that experience didn't really take to it at all. The shooting felt... off, somehow.

I did the 1,2 and 3 remakes over the last few weeks, and 3's shooting is definitely more than off, it's shite - in 1 and 2, a single bullet on an enemy will at least make them react with some form of animation event, but hit a bad guy in the guts in 3 and the chances are he'll carry on what he's doing. Bluegh.

1 hour ago, angel said:

I played them on the collection and they all played identically, so I didnt run into the old game issues. I enjoyed all 3 in a dont take it too seriously way. It surprised me when I went online after I beat them, just to read up on some trivia I may have missed and so on, that people considered Drake a realistic hero, an everyman. After all that absurd impossible leaping, instant solving of thousand year old riddles, Naughty Dog were proudly proclaiming him your average joe.  It still shocks me now, I thought the whole point if it was how ridiculously over the top it all was. Oh and the corny lines that made me chuckle constantly emanating from Sully, "i'm too old for this shit", were being proudly touted as absolute genius writing and more movie like than game. I was thinking, did we play the same game? I took it all as silly fantasy but the internet apparantly sees it as dramatic cinema.

Amen

throughout the games I've been thinking about Amy Henning and her writing skills and how they have such praise.

absolutely everything throughout the whole series is cliche. It is somewhat baffling. It's not bad but it's extremely old hat and while the acting is top notch the dialogue itself isn't worthy of praise unless your just congratulating a game writer for writing something that could be a summer time film from the 80s.

I give it a pass because I know what it's going for. A family friendly blockbuster movie.

Someone mentioned the shooting in 2 was better than 3 because the enemies reacted better.

All 3 games suffer from bad shooting mechanics. Bad hit detection, bad accuracy, bad spongy and glitchy AI. You can make these game look absolutely awful by playing like an arcade shooter with no fear and just going around punching ,jumping and shooting anything that moves.

They also suffer from the GET OFF THE DAMN LEDGE syndrome seen in the Assasins Creed games which (excuse the pun) drives me up the damn wall.

So why am I hyped for 4?

It looks stunning and I'm willing to let the smoke and mirrors draw me in, unlike these 3 games where there is no smoke or mirrors anymore due to their age and technical constraints.

I also rate The Last of Us. It plays better and I love the universe and story and I'm hoping some of that influences Uncharted 4.

Thease games have gotten progressively better so Uncharted 4/10, Uncharted 2 5/10, Uncharted 3 6/10, The Last of us 8/10 = Uncharted 4 9/10......I hope.