Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Oh come on the E3 demo showed loads of gameplay with more stuff than ever rendered on the fly. Even the scripted bits/movies are entirely real-time now too.

Yeah, I was quite impressed with the early PSX demo as well. A combat scenario with tons of freedom for the player to tackle it. MP beta was great fun as well, I still can't think of any TPS that combines mobility and combat so well. 

Is Wrath93 a Boozy handle? ;)

untitledhuktu.png

I only just picked up Unchartered 1 again since xmas.. nearly finished the first game. I might just wait a while though till i get uncharted 4. If I'm being honest i haven't enjoyed unchartered as much as I thought i would but maybe that's down to the fact it's an old game and perhaps the controls are refined a bit better in 2 and 3 (let alone 4).

Let's not panic just yet folks. I'm sure everything's fine. 

I'm not hoping this game fails due to it's platform, I'm expecting it to be far less than the expectation placed upon it because of it's numerous delays, tied up in lies on behalf of it's publisher. The lack of exclusives of similar stature thus far has placed so much focus on this game that it essentially has to be a 10/10 GOTY genre defining masterpiece.  Seeing as the Last of Us fit that bill, then I'm not saying it can't be. TLOU was all of those things for me btw. 

However the change in personnel involved, the lack of gameplay shown, yes you got a demo in 2014 showing fluidoty of combat and movement/traversal, but 2015's seemed incredibly scripted to those not blinded by platform expectation imho. Everything seen since has been cutscene based exposition which builds the expectation that there's going to be a lot of that. That the more recent delay announcements are trotted out with excuses and reasons that have retail pulling their hair out with disbelief and fury, from shop floor to boardroom level due to the sales expectations and considerable organisation planned around the biggest game of the year, possibly the generation. 

Again I'm not wishing it to be bad and even if it is we won't find out until it's finished by the players, as the games media is going to make anyone not playing or rushing out to buy a PS4 for it feel like they're missing out on the greatest event in the history of the industry. 

I'll just have to watch with tears of shame pouring down my face whilst everyone gets on the big Uncharted bus and I'm left at the side of the road because I hate getting the bus.

Bit slow off the mark there Boozy, the delay was announced at least an hour ago ;)

I don't get your accusations of them not showing much gameplay. They showed a 15 minute demo of what was pretty much an entire level. They've also ran a multiplayer beta which was well received, and which everyone gets to play this weekend.

Also, the change in personnel - really? Apart from Amy Henig who are we talking about here? 

There's no evidence to suggest it was "not in a nice way". You're reading what you want into it. You know, Naughty Dog is a massive team running into the hundreds and I don't think it'd be too far from the truth to suggest they get the cream of the crop when it comes to staff. They're considered one of, if not the most proficient studios in the world. 

The creative leads from The Last of Us are running the joint. What they've shown so far is outstanding in every regard. 

You're determined to see the negatives because it's on a Sony console.

In an industry where games are consistently rushed to release to meet the objectives of the publisher, the damnation of delays needs to really be examined. Until shown otherwise when a developer with a great track record for quality delays their games, I don't automatically assume it is facing some kind of internal hell. Especially given how small the latest delay is which as stated is for production reasons

The irony of that video is totally beyond you, isn't it Boozy.

There is nothing to see here. At worst, a two week delay is annoying. Call it 6 weeks if you want to include the delay in total. For a project of this magnitude it's a drop in the ocean.

I'm sure it's all as good as finished and this extra month added on from the original official release date is purely down to someone's dog getting ill and they had to take it to vet or something. I mean if the biggest title in Sony's history with the most riding on it can't run smoothly through production that's clearly just an example of an industry wide phenomenon that has become the norm. I mean if SFV had had another 4 months/4 weeks/2 weeks added to development  it might not have done an impression of a malnutritioned Driveclub out the gates.

Edit GTA online was fucked out the gate.

It seems odd that they're delaying the game in two-week increments. I don't know much about software development, but a six week delay on a project the size of Uncharted 4 sounds like it could concievably make a big difference to the final outcome; three seperate two-week delays sound a bit piecemeal. Needing two weeks to duplicate more disks doesn't sound very believable, unless there's some kind of wider problem with disk manufacture at the moment.

Could it not be something simple like they got more pre-orders than expected so they're making more discs? Don't want to get in the way of a good conspiracy or anything but I imagine this is going to sell like hot cakes isn't it, so although it could be idiotic for them not to have factored that in, it might be less panic stations than could be believed.

7 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Could it not be something simple like they got more pre-orders than expected so they're making more discs? Don't want to get in the way of a good conspiracy or anything but I imagine this is going to sell like hot cakes isn't it, so although it could be idiotic for them not to have factored that in, it might be less panic stations than could be believed.

I don't think "underestimated number of preorders" is plausible.

It's the first AAA first party game from Sony. And the first exclusive AAA game on the platform since Bloodborne.

Perhaps "found game breaking bug in release candidate too late and realised that we couldn't ship without patching it because of the negative publicity". Though that's never stopped <insert company here>.

A two week day will have nothing to do with development schedule. It might give a little extra time for day one patch cert, but this will be a marketing strategy.. to basically move it out of the way of other releases. You know, like what MS should have done with Tomb Raider and the Fallout 4 sent to die tale. 

Here's another conspiracy - they've done it to bump up digital preorders now that they've started to push them properly on the store. Create the impression that supply will outstrip demand and panic people into going digital. Or just preorders in general.