Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

48 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Interesting, I found the early parts of the game fine, it's later on, when you get to the ship that it goes all too "wtf is this shit?" for my liking. I've posted this before, but for those who don't know, the story writer for the Uncharted series, Amy Hennig, was told for UC3 "here are the levels we have created, write a story to make them work."  She did the best she could. Before I knew this, I was scathing in my criticism of the game's plotting and characters, but with that knowledge it's really quite remarkable she managed to come up with what came out.  She was the lead writer for UC4 too, I believe, but left in 2014.  We already know from the actors involved that somewhere along the lines the story was completely re-written, with scenes that had already been motion-captures dropped completely.

It's no surprise Amy left. 

I don't think that's quite what happened. The Uncharted series has always been game scenarios first and story second, that's what Henig says about it. She didn't complain about it either. 

My reading of it is that she, Straley and Druckmann had different ideas about the direction the game would take for 4. Considering they did The Last of Us I don't think you could level accusations at them for story or game play inconsistencies. 

And ridiculous. The 1st yeti fight suddenly gives you unlimited ammo for the duration of it then removes it, the game doesnt even follow its own rules. I was taken aback by the monsters in part 1 never mind these yetis, and then they're revealed to be magic blue men of shangri la.  I thought it was based in the real world, not fantasy, I found that weird.

4 minutes ago, angel said:

And ridiculous. The 1st yeti fight suddenly gives you unlimited ammo for the duration of it then removes it, the game doesnt even follow its own rules. I was taken aback by the monsters in part 1 never mind these yetis, and then they're revealed to be magic blue men of shangri la.  I thought it was based in the real world, not fantasy, I found that weird.

There's a healthy super natural element in all 3 UC games - as Le Check points out the reference point is basically Indy

9 minutes ago, angel said:

Ill be a lot happier to play something made by the TLOU guys than the author of 1-3

Did't the TLOU guys basically do 1-3 though?

Amy was only ever involved in the writing and in my opinion the UC games are better scripted than TLOU

11 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Uncharted 3 felt like they thought up some really cool set pieces and a story to string them all together came as an afterthought. But at least there was no bullshit enemies in the final third like the first two game.

That, depressingly enough, is literally how it was developed.

26 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Uncharted 3 felt like they thought up some really cool set pieces and a story to string them all together came as an afterthought. But at least there was no bullshit enemies in the final third like the first two game.

True, and I don't know if this is simply down to being so accustomed to video game tropes, but not having some big boss battle/tougher enemies made the ending of UC3 feel a little flat.  It was just a series of QT events.  Don't get me wrong, in UC2 I found running around a tree for 5 mins shooting the big boss pretty shit but it felt like an ending to a videogame whereas UC3 felt like an ending to a movie. I guess that, ultimately, this is the experience they're going for in these games and I think that's also part of the reason these games don't sit well with some: mixing typical OTT videogame action with more "realistic" action movie action can feel jarring.

That boss fight in 2 was terrible, i didnt shoot him once, all i shot was blue sap - and they always have to have nate keep his hands "clean" by not killing the boss, its always a fall, or the blue monkeys, or he tries to save helen mirren, he's always "good" in cut scenes, and "bad" when he's wiping out entire villlages.

The trailer makes it look like Drake is indirectly going to be causing a lot of collateral damage to some third world country in his latest adventure. At least in Lara's recent adventures the villagers are usually being destroyed before she gets there whereas Drake will stop by and all hell will break loose.

This game looks incredible but I'm playing through the remasters for the first time and my feelings on these games are reasonably negative.

I feel like playing the remasters is very much like seeing a magic trick but knowing how it's done. It's so chock full of the old tricks.

I find it hard to see how people got into the series considering just how bad the first game is but will admit the second improves on it in every way.

i think I'm too late to the party to be excited for the gameplay in uncharted 4 but I will enjoy the ride and my god , those graphics are the best ever!

My main gripe with it was the wind down on the camera. coming from Metal Gear Solid 5 I was used to a snappy precise camera I could control. Moving on to Uncharted I got a floaty camera that didn't stop when I stopped and instead just slowed down to a stop. 

They have patched it since and made it almost as snappy as I would like but I wonder was that a thing in the old games originally?