Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

I thought some the acrobatics in tomb raider were unrealistic til I played the UC collection, i'm a third into part 3 and the feats of superhuman strength Drake performs are ridiculous. That ice temple in UC 2 in particular, and the monastary at the end, constantly hurling himself at tiny ledges above hundred feet drops, and even his female colleague doing the same. Yet they treat it all so par for the course. Sure, lets just scale this outside of a castle using vines and tiny ledges, its bananas. My body count for each game was around 700 aswell, he doesnt mess around.

52 minutes ago, MDY said:

Erm.. Apart from using a bit of Ubisofts Assassins Creed concept art (without permission) for the mantelpiece picture.. (1m36s)

Is that AC concept art?

I would never have known that.

image.png

More gameplay would have been nice as that came across more as a trailer for a bad movie than one for a good game.

It's actually dampened my enthusiasm a little although, to be fair, starting to replay the original trilogy recently (currently half way through the second game) has not helped as, for me, they have not aged especially well. 

I'm sure it'll be a fun romp all the same but, for now, I can certainly contain my excitement although I'm sure some proper gameplay footage will help as the E3 video seemed much more like it.

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

Is that AC concept art?

I would never have known that.

image.png

It used to have an assassin in it:

wTFWsYU.gif

I suspect someone is in deep shit at ND today...

They had a similar issue with one of their artists using a subway map someone had designed, again without permission in The Last of Us..

On 24 February 2016 at 10:10 PM, Mike S said:

More gameplay would have been nice as that came across more as a trailer for a bad movie than one for a good game.

It's actually dampened my enthusiasm a little although, to be fair, starting to replay the original trilogy recently (currently half way through the second game) has not helped as, for me, they have not aged especially well. 

I'm sure it'll be a fun romp all the same but I can certainly contain my excitement although I'm sure some proper gameplay footage will help as the E3 video seemed much more like it.

Recently finished going through the original trilogy. I love them. I don't think I've finished another game since UC2. Don't play a great deal these days. 

Despite the the annoying boss ending of UC2 I think it's the best of the three. 

Really looking forward to the next one. 

Finished all 3 in the space of a fortnight, 1 was the most coherent I think.  3 never really got going and the ending was very silly. 2 was the most far fetched and the unrealistic jumps really broke the immersion, aswell as the silly monsters.  You can see the DNA of TLOU forming slowly over the series, which I think is the ultimate iteration of this game style. 3 really over used the spiders too, it was like we've designed them, and now you're going to meet them everywhere.

Youre kidding?  You find one in a jar in the London underground lair, and then you meet them everywhere after. They chase you out of the cave in France, you chuck torches at them in Syria, they attack you in the hidden temple with the weird torch puzzles, you see them when you're tripping. Its an aracnid fest.  I was hoping for a giant one but I guess that's too far fetched even for Uncharted.

I got it with my ps4 bundle when I wasnt all that fussed, and I must admit I enjoyed it in a guilty way. It irked me a bit how much you utterly disregard history, and solve problems that have eluded mankind within 30 seconds of entering a temple, but I enjoyed the swashbuckling romp nature of it. I think i'm going to have to tackle Tomb Raider next to satisfy my appetite.  Of course i'm used to 3 on 1 disc now so part 4 would be a culture shock, but the rumours of it having a real definitive ending makes me want to play it.

I hope with the claims of it being a definitive ending they use that as a chance to subvert the usual swashbuckling romp narrative, by having Drake fail most of his objectives and get the other characters killed throughout the game, before being unceremoniously gibbed by a shotgun during a final showdown.

Anything except find treasure, discover reason it was hidden, treasure lost in sunken city like every single ending.
My drakes body count is around 2200 for the 3 games, that's some going for a street urchin turned archaeologist. There was something in 3 that wasnt even explained aswell

helen mirren said his real name isnt even drake

I think the implication was that he contrived this whole persona as Francis Drake's secret descendent in order to give himself some purpose, and to make him special - it's also implied that he had some traumatic upbringing in an orphanage that meant he needed to invent this backstory for himself. It's not particularly well put across in the game, but that was the intention - it's clearer on a second playthrough. 

18 minutes ago, K said:

I think the implication was that he contrived this whole persona as Francis Drake's secret descendent in order to give himself some purpose, and to make him special - it's also implied that he had some traumatic upbringing in an orphanage that meant he needed to invent this backstory for himself. It's not particularly well put across in the game, but that was the intention - it's clearer on a second playthrough. 

That's huge, like game changing. I hope its explored in 4. It actually makes it more authentic, cheers.

Doesn't he actually find evidence of Drake living beyond his alleged death, and somehow validating his heritage? Its tricky to recall, obviously a bit strange to debate realism when zombie cave dwellers are guarding Drake's corpse, but I guess you can explain it all as an elephant in the room. And I guess Sully goes along with it all too, like an unspoken weird bond that they wont discuss.  Certainly improves it beyond superhuman murderer kills natives and robs them.

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

And on multiple playthroughs the completely farcical nature of the levels vs the narrative becomes evermore apparent.  Uncharted 3 is rubbish.  It's very pretty, and has some fantastic set pieces, but as a whole, yeah it's fucking rubbish.  I've tried replaying it a few times, I get so far and then get sick of it.  Conversely, I've replayed 2 several times and loved it every time.

Its very uneven, I spent more time arsing about on a boat than the actual endgame. Jumping from truck to truck was a bit of a stretch, but horse to truck back to horse, randomly rescued by a mysterious sheik, dropped off into a sandstorm, murder my way through a crowd and ride off into the sunset.  Oh and the burning building, 30 mins spent in that, and not one enemy deserted their post. 

54 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

And on multiple playthroughs the completely farcical nature of the levels vs the narrative becomes evermore apparent.  Uncharted 3 is rubbish.  It's very pretty, and has some fantastic set pieces, but as a whole, yeah it's fucking rubbish.  I've tried replaying it a few times, I get so far and then get sick of it.  Conversely, I've replayed 2 several times and loved it every time.

Yeah, I didn't notice the I first played them but playing them sequentially over a period of a few weeks makes you notice.  UC3 is v pretty and has great set pieces but the first third or so of the game is just not very good.  

In UC2 the urban warfare bit is brilliantly done and looks incredible.