IGNORED

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Moz

Fair enough if they need more time, not entirely sure how much you can actually do in four weeks or whatever it is but I'll bow to their judgement.

Announcing it on a little-followed blog two days before Christmas, once the press have knocked off for two weeks and the world has done its Christmas shopping, is cuntery of the first order.

I guess news just stops when the games press take two weeks holiday. Not sure what Christmas shopping has to do with it either. Hyperbole of the highest order.

I am starting to wonder how Shuhei Yoshida is still in a job. He's good at Twitter but how many games under his watch have actually shipped on time? For a company with a studio network of this size they should be doing an awful lot more.

A game being delayed a month and someone losing their job - bit of a leap there.

No I'm not.

If Uncharted 4 being delayed was going to put off people buying PS4's This Christmas it would already have done so.

If what you're saying is true then why not just wait until January to announce it? As it is we all know it's delayed, press or no press. In the grand scheme of things it changes little.

Games are delayed all the time across all systems, it's not as if it's Yoshida who's causing problems here.

I know very little about game production, so not sure what can be achieved in a month (would be interested to read though if someone can shed light), but is there also a chance the beta release cast light on a few things on the back end that needed tweaking?

I know very little about game production, so not sure what can be achieved in a month (would be interested to read though if someone can shed light), but is there also a chance the beta release cast light on a few things on the back end that needed tweaking?

The only kind of stuff you can do in a month (and working hours-wise, it'll be a lot more than a 'normal' month) is generally fix a hell of a lot of bugs (quite common when you're coming in hot) or add a large amount of polish (mainly sound/visual effects). Those are the two biggies in my experience.

Or, it could just be like you said - it's going to enable them to tweak/test stuff from the beta if they got more feedback than they were expecting.

I came to TLoU multiplayer pretty late on but it didn't seem like many players were using much of the DLC stuff and those that were didn't appear to be doing all that much better. The only slightly sucky weapon to be on the receiving end of was the crossbow, I thought.

It's a brilliant weapon, for sure, but not overpowered like the bow (I still think after all this time that's the only truly overpowered weapon)

You've only got 4 bolts to shoot with - and the interval between shots is quite long plus the ammo is very expensive.

The crossbow is strategically FUN - for example in defense: if your camp is being overrun, a few bolts in a few opponents (harnessed or not) make them all retreat & your teammates have been bought some time to regroup and/or heal. In offense: sneaking/skulking around opponents have got no clue where the bolts are coming from & many times 1 bolt + a little chase on foot + a few handgun rounds finishes of the job. Depending on the distance to run and where the bolt hit - it becomes more tricky to "dash in to kill off".

Looking at the MP of Uncharted 4, I have to say I'm underwhelmed and will be giving it a pass. I definitely see some TLoU ideas in there, but it's nowhere near as tense and way too fast. Also: getting too old for it, I guess....

Got a ps4 last week with the uncharted collection. Been waiting years to play them - hopefully tomorrow I'll make a start ( if not tonight).

I got a PS4 a few weeks ago & the first games I played on it were Uncharted 2 & The Last of Us. It was great to finally play through two absolute masterpieces that as a 360 owner I hadn't had the chance to play, in full 60fps HD glory. Both incredible games & I thought that Uncharted 1 stood up reasonably well too. Will have a little break until I play 3 as you can have too much of a good thing & I've heard that it's not as good as 2 anyway.

With regards to Uncharted 4 being delayed, I agree with MW_Jimmy & suspect that it's to push it into the next financial year.

The only kind of stuff you can do in a month (and working hours-wise, it'll be a lot more than a 'normal' month) is generally fix a hell of a lot of bugs (quite common when you're coming in hot) or add a large amount of polish (mainly sound/visual effects). Those are the two biggies in my experience.

Or, it could just be like you said - it's going to enable them to tweak/test stuff from the beta if they got more feedback than they were expecting.

If they're bug-fixing and adding polish then I'm more than happy with the delay. Appreciate that no game is likely to be flawless but would rather wait and get the best possible experience than have something released with elements that might reduce enjoyment.

• 3 weeks later...

My first thought is that it's probably been delayed so it falls into a different financial year, probably because 2015/16 has worked out quite well for Sony.

Apparently this is common knowledge / popular rumour amongst those working in retail.

So this means Sony made the devs make a statement purposefully bullshitting the fanbase.

Let’s start with the good news: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is wrapping up production and is shaping up to be the proper send off for Nathan Drake that we’ve promised you. The bad news is that we need a bit more time to finish the game so that it meets our standards and vision. Let’s cut to the chase, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End has a new release date in North America of April 26, 2016.

This is our largest Uncharted game to date, and the team has been working incredibly hard to meet the challenge of closing out the game’s development in a timely manner. However, as we approached our final deadlines and started wrapping up the game’s levels, we realized that several key sequences needed extra resources to bring them to the finish line. After carefully considering all of our options, we decided to extend our schedule, making sure that we get a few more polish passes before submitting our gold master (the final disc for manufacturing).

Pushing the date is not an easy choice, and we wouldn’t do it if we didn’t feel in our hearts it’s the best course of action for the game. To you, our loyal fans, we hope you’ll accept our sincere apology. We know many of you have been waiting patiently for Nathan Drake’s final chapter, and now we humbly ask you to wait a bit longer.

On April 26, 2016 the most ambitious installment in the Uncharted series will be in your hands.

Neil Druckmann & Bruce Straley

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/23/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-arrives-on-april-26-2016/

Obviously it can't possibly be true and I'm just jelly or salty or blahblahblah.

nervs.gif.pagespeed.ce_.I-kO3KSR7U.gif

So this means Sony made the devs make a statement purposefully bullshitting the fanbase.

Why do you think it would matter if it was released very close to the end of FY16 or at the start of FY17?

What benefit do you think delaying a single title by one month gives to the FY17 results of a company that is turning over $67bn?

Please show workings.

Or do you think it is more realistic that a game has been delayed by one month due to tweaks in a industry where pushing release dates out is virtually the norm?

• 1 month later...