IGNORED

GTA Online: PS5 & Xbox Series versions due March 2022

p1nseeker

I’ve been back in this for some Dr Dre content, which seems pretty fun so far. 

To check I’m understanding Rockstar’s insanity, though: to do story content you need to be a CEO, but also there’s a hard limit on the number of CEOs per lobby?

Seems too mad to be true. 

• 1 month later...

I love GTA: Online, but I only ever play the co-op missions, and only with friends. The missions - listed under ‘jobs -> Rockstar created -> missions’ - are loads of fun, and are effectively like co-op versions of the single player mode. I quite like free roam sessions too, although always in private sessions. There’s loads of good stuff in GTA:Online - the vehicle handling, map and physics are still top-class, and the game looks surprisingly good given that it came out nine years ago - but it’s let down by the impossibly convoluted UI and incredibly obscure mechanics whereby you have to buy and set up a company in order to start the more recent content, none of which is explained anywhere in-game. 

It doesn’t feel like something you can just drop into and play with randoms, unless you’re really into being repeatedly spawnkilled by teenagers in helicopter gunships. 

On 24/01/2022 at 20:02, Doctor Shark said:

Um, hello. If I was thinking of playing gta online for the first time, would I be mad? I can’t imagine it’s easy for a new person to jump in 9 years late and have any fun at all? 

What K says is right - you really will need someone you can talk to to show you the ropes though. I'd be happy to do so if you're on Playstation, it would be an honour! I do have many scathing comments about GTA Online ranging from the archaic controls to the absurdly poor matchmaking, illogical economy and a just plain bad UI. Absolute minefield of hell to get started in as well with an overwhelming amount of shit being thrown at you most of which is poorly explained - it's unbelievable that such a profitable and hugely popular game has so many flaws in almost every way. Unforgivable even.

It's also my favourite online game. I love it.

The UI is fucking insane. All of the features and functionality are distributed randomly across all aspects of the game. Some things you do through the start menu, some things you have to do on your fake in-game phone, some things you have to do on the fake in-game internet, and some things you have to physically do in the world, with absolutely no internal consistency or logic. Like, you have to drive to your nightclub's office to get cash out of the safe, walk through the whole nightclub to pick up the banknotes, and then magically teleport it into your bank account by logging onto your internet banking account through your phone. 

21 hours ago, K said:

The UI is fucking insane. All of the features and functionality are distributed randomly across all aspects of the game. Some things you do through the start menu, some things you have to do on your fake in-game phone, some things you have to do on the fake in-game internet, and some things you have to physically do in the world, with absolutely no internal consistency or logic. Like, you have to drive to your nightclub's office to get cash out of the safe, walk through the whole nightclub to pick up the banknotes, and then magically teleport it into your bank account by logging onto your internet banking account through your phone. 

Yep the whole thing is so convoluted. I actually think Rockstar have started to listen to many of the complaints (and am hoping for a big swing in this direction for older content with the E&E release) as everything released in the past year or so is doable in invite only sessions alone or with friends. Cayo Perico, Los Santos Tuners and The Contract stuff can all be done in empty lobbies which makes a huge difference if you don't want to deal with the average prick in freeroam messing with your progress.

Regarding the banking, I actually gave up bothering with this a long time ago and now, um...

IMG_2037.PNG

22 hours ago, Haribokart said:

What K says is right - you really will need someone you can talk to to show you the ropes though. I'd be happy to do so if you're on Playstation, it would be an honour! I do have many scathing comments about GTA Online ranging from the archaic controls to the absurdly poor matchmaking, illogical economy and a just plain bad UI. Absolute minefield of hell to get started in as well with an overwhelming amount of shit being thrown at you most of which is poorly explained - it's unbelievable that such a profitable and hugely popular game has so many flaws in almost every way. Unforgivable even.

It's also my favourite online game. I love it.

I think I have it on PS4 but I was actually thinking of getting it again on Xbox now I’ve got a series x, maybe the enhanced edition, depending on how much improvement there is. 

21 hours ago, K said:

The UI in GTA V itself is godawful, so no surprise it’s guff in the online portion. 

To be honest I like the idea of basically playing through a GTA story online with pals, I’m far less keen on all the mad shit they’ve added like flying cars and lasers and god knows what else. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

I think I have it on PS4 but I was actually thinking of getting it again on Xbox now I’ve got a series x, maybe the enhanced edition, depending on how much improvement there is. 

E&E is included for 'free' if you have PS+, I would probably recommend holding out so you can go into the game with 4K/60 instead of 1080/30.

58 minutes ago, Polmon said:

🤔

Ha good point well made. It was certainly a solid 30 on my Pro (with SSD) and runs identically on PS5, I'd imagine the same can be said for the newer Xbox whatever they are called versions too. 

Seeing clips now of the game 'running' on base PS4 and One sure is something. I'd consider that unplayable.

I had great fun in GTA Online, but it was only possible because one of my friends was willing to grind for money to buy the stupid properties which unlock the missions.

Actually earning money is tedious in solo lobby, and ridiculously frustrating in a public one, by design to promote hark card sales.

Level-based unlocks were another source of frustration, having to start a heist using a pop gun because you weren't allowed to buy rifles yet was another (although you can pick them up).

The missions are a great lark though.

Yeah I’ve got some free stuff but no idea how to access any of it, the game explains nothing :lol:

This is my GTA online guy that I made 

49042BD6-2AD6-4BEC-A6AA-D1B5F9A9A458.thumb.jpeg.227ea01d46a39bacafff59c42c1dca51.jpeg

Then I went into Red Dead Online and made his great, great Grandpappy 

C733F96A-A7FE-47FF-B58B-542D0C17203C.thumb.jpeg.6d4c8bb26bb4051f5a25e90881d08883.jpeg

They’re both called Chin Wang, because I’m an immature child. 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Had only started playing GTA V on PS4 when they announced the next gen version so I held off. Looks like the graphics modes on offer will be similar to Insomniacs PS5 games. 

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2022/3/4/22960309/grand-theft-auto-5-ps5-xbox-series-x-s-update-graphics-online

is there a thread for the single player ?

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered this and I dunno why. Fool me.

I was looking up gameplay footage (it releases in 3 hours) and it appears there is none? :lol:

Well, GTA in 60fps eh....