The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Xbone a worse launch than PS3, fuck me - anyone out of ideas how to kill time until the PS4 hits should read Angels post and should be rolling on the floor until DPD turn up!

BF4 is meant to play better on Xbone due to more solid FPS but PS4 is higher res with up and down FPS so PS4 recommended - seems odd non?

But EA arent gonna deliberately fuck it up, it's gona be a good port hopefully. Which you can save £430 quid on a system by playing on your current 360.

Back in the day, EA decided to take a punt on a game called Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, after it was dropped by Microsoft. They did try to get a PS2 port of the game made, but it turned out to be technically not worth the time so it ended up an Xbox exclusive, even if management would have preferred to spread the risk, might have been better for them if they had managed to port it, considering the financial result.

Nobody wants bad ports, but sometimes things like technical capabilities get in the way of such good intentions. The base game is designed for X1/PC, not the X360, unless Respawn willing hold back the X1 version to make the X360 downport play/look less shit, but that doesn't benefit Microsoft in the long term, or EA or Respawn, as I'm sure this is planned to be a massive franchise opportunity, and a member of the $1 Billion club.

BF4 is meant to play better on Xbone due to more solid FPS but PS4 is higher res with up and down FPS so PS4 recommended - seems odd non?

You're thinking of COD, BF4 had a clean sweep of higher res AND a 10fps advantage.

It is the comparison thread...

Gentlemen! You can do comparisons in here! This is the comparisons thread!

Munchy disc drives,

Yup, some are fucked. Just like on the PS4

TV integration doesnt work with 50hz,

Yup. That's a hell of an oversight.

surround audio is stripped to stereo

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/403189532524163072

it's stripped on some STB's so by default it's set to off, you can turn it back on in settings.

kinect needing voice calibration every few days and not recognising people's voices.

We know of ONE person needing to recalibrate his on the forum

Install times are not very console like and taking up to an hour,

Hardly going to be a feature for very long i would imagine. Play with installing I'm sure will come in when they get round to it. Clear case of Sony not having to whip code out due to stupid DRM decisions etc like MS did.

it bans you for saying anything vaguely rude on a video,

Yup, because the videos appear on a public page for everyone to view. The correct thing here would be to allow users to make them private

the dashboard is made for voice commands and isnt very navigatable.

Angel, the UI designer there. Seems to be fine for most people who've actually tried one.

It doesnt work out of the box without an update,

Yup. Due to the 180's they had to make on DRM (I think we've all rightly had a go at them for that), but no, go ahead and complain about the fact they DID listen to us

its literally a brick without the internet....a first for a console.

Funnily there's people in the XBone thread stating they can use it fine without internet.

The fans are all a mixed bag with some machines super loud, some silent.

Yup, oddly a bit like the PS4 launch that had overheating units and grindy drives and broken HDMI sockets.

It throws up error messages like "something terrible went wrong". And so on.

Yup, another instance of a rushed OS because they'll have spent time they would have used to fix bugs on undoing all the retarded things they wanted to do regarding DRM and always online.

My favourite is that the achievement pop ups dont centre the text, something ive only seen picked up by giant bomb on their Crimson Dragon quick look.

Now, I'm sure someone's going to throw up the XBone Defence Force gif pretty sharpish despite the fact that I'm getting a PS4. But you've consistently read up some shit somewhere and then regurgitated it without actually giving it some thought. I mean it's like you're one of those stupid people everyone knows that just repeats any old shit they hear on the internet without the brain cells to actually think "This doesn't make sense"

Don't get me wrong. I too was set to go from Xbox 360 to the XBone but MS fucked up enough for me to choose PS4 as my first next gen purchase. But jesus, get some perspective! I can get behind reasons like "MS are just blatantly out for the money and not prioritising us gamers" but not that stream of diarrhoea you've come up with.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Xbone a worse launch than PS3, fuck me - anyone out of ideas how to kill time until the PS4 hits should read Angels post and should be rolling on the floor until DPD turn up!

It's been a colossal fuckup, yes. I think angel goes a bit OTT some of the time, but we're dealing with a machine only ever had a chance of improving after its initial unveiling thanks to it being exposed to the world outside of the bubble of Redmond, Washington (MS' headquarters, which essentially encompasses the entire city). Unless you're suggesting that everyone was cool with the non-resaleable games thing and all the rest of it.

It's a machine with an excessive focus on television, in an age when television is severly under threat, and doesn't work properly with PAL feeds. It costs more to make than Sony's new machine, yet suffers both with graphical capabilities, evident at launch and apparently set to become even more evident in the future.

It launched with the Kinect, and hasn't got anything to show it off (aside from a few voice commands, and the ability to lean in BF4 -- both of which can be done on the PS4 version). It's been alleged that the Kinect is being used to monitor user habits, and though there is nothing to absolutely prove this (yet), there was a small scandal with LG's televisions doing just that in the last few weeks, in spite of protestations from the company proper.

Microsoft had, prior to launch, pumped something around $6 billion into various parts of the machine, including a $100m bill for the R&D of their new joypads, with which you can get the face buttons stuck behind the shell (if you push them down and shuffle them to the side). None of this would be as much an issue, if the cost of the division wasn't so outlandish that a potential favourite to become the new CEO didn't suggest selling the whole thing.

Pre-launch, there was a bunch of games embargoed up to the week before release, with some games embargoed up to the afternoon before. All of which included multi-platform titles, including one which hasn't got any press reviews whatsoever.

Finally, BF4 is a complete mess on all systems, though the PS4 version runs better than the Xbone's. On a machine which is £80 less.

I can call bullshit on the installs taking nearly an hour straight away, they took around 15 minutes at most and depending on the game were generally playable from the 15-30% mark (Forza, BF4). GTA V and Splinter Cell Blacklist took longer on the 360, with a fraction of the data.

The performance difference between the X1 and PS4 isn't even down to the cost of the silicon, the X1 has a bigger APU chip (and hence more potential room to pack-in performance) and costs more to make, but due to the design decisions taken by Microsoft and Sony getting very lucky with their timing, ends up with a worse performing box for the same silicon budget.

Sony managed to repeat the original PlayStation it seems, which Trip Hawkins would tell you all about (as the 3DO didn't), packing the right hardware at the right point in time to get best bang-for-buck.

XDMANtb.jpg

I'm so happy for the #TEAMSONY crew on the forum! You've finally done it guys.. No more giant enemy crabs,no more RIIIIIIIDGE RAAACERRRR!, everyone has forgotten about Lik Sang now anyway and the PS3 multiformat games are but a distant memory in the trail of the PS4's 1080p dust!

Now you've got Resogun and a multiformat game with smooth rope until Spring time you can finally hold your heads high and say "we did it"... "we are the players"

It's been a colossal fuckup, yes. I think angel goes a bit OTT some of the time, but we're dealing with a machine only ever had a chance of improving after its initial unveiling thanks to it being exposed to the world outside of the bubble of Redmond, Washington (MS' headquarters, which essentially encompasses the entire city). Unless you're suggesting that everyone was cool with the non-resaleable games thing and all the rest of it.

It's a machine with an excessive focus on television, in an age when television is severly under threat, and doesn't work properly with PAL feeds. It costs more to make than Sony's new machine, yet suffers both with graphical capabilities, evident at launch and apparently set to become even more evident in the future.

It launched with the Kinect, and hasn't got anything to show it off (aside from a few voice commands, and the ability to lean in BF4 -- both of which can be done on the PS4 version). It's been alleged that the Kinect is being used to monitor user habits, and though there is nothing to absolutely prove this (yet), there was a small scandal with LG's televisions doing just that in the last few weeks, in spite of protestations from the company proper.

Microsoft had, prior to launch, pumped something around $6 billion into various parts of the machine, including a $100m bill for the R&D of their new joypads, with which you can get the face buttons stuck behind the shell (if you push them down and shuffle them to the side). None of this would be as much an issue, if the cost of the division wasn't so outlandish that a potential favourite to become the new CEO didn't suggest selling the whole thing.

Pre-launch, there was a bunch of games embargoed up to the week before release, with some games embargoed up to the afternoon before. All of which included multi-platform titles, including one which hasn't got any press reviews whatsoever.

Finally, BF4 is a complete mess on all systems, though the PS4 version runs better than the Xbone's. On a machine which is £80 less.

Meanwhile the PS4 UI is fantastic.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/playstation-4s-front-end-the-good-the-bad-and-the-broken/

Wait...

Fascinating...

There was the notion that Kinect was the reason they gimped the X1 main console, but it would seem that isn't really the case, just poor design decisions and starting much earlier in the design process. A large chunk of the X1 APU is taken up by the eSRAM, while the GPU dominates the PS4 APU.

If you had somehow missed the memo from the infamous unveiling, you could be forgiven for not knowing about the TV support at all. It's hardly a prominent feature, just another app, and one that I haven't used. Being able to snap stuff like Netflix is an interesting novelty, but they need a simple proportional volume slider before it's truly useful.

XDMANtb.jpg

This chart smells like bollocks to me. As far as I know they arent selling the boxes at a loss. Which they would be if this was correct (Retail price is not wholesale price or disributor price) Also a lot of the individual pricing is absolute shite. $20 BOM cost for an internal SMPS? Fuck off.

I'm just a simple soul. My TV feed works just fine, tested it so far with drama, live sport and Bloomberg.

I agree differential volume control needs to come in to make snap more useful.

I think I may have pinned a specific episode of a specific show in Netflix.

Who cares about resolutions in the heat of a MP BF4 match? (genuine question based on that Digital Foundry comparison which looked pretty marginal on a retina display, and the live Xbox one match streamed a few weeks ago which looked pretty spectacular).

I need to see what happens when the wifii is down, and to try the 360 as a input, just for the hell of it.

I have 2 more games to install, which I might time. Or I might just start to play when prompted to do so.

And I'm sure that such a comparitively minor problem can be sorted out over time, unlike the incompatability in displaying both 50hz and 60hz at the same time.

And?

So you can't use one feature in Europe. A feature that doesn't even exist on the PS4. What's the issue here?

Presumably you also can't play 24Hz Blurays through the console at the same time as something's snapped. Why haven't we seen comments on that?

I'm not sure I understand the framerate issue. I mean, I get that it's a problem in principle, but my 360 outputs at 720p60 - according to my TV - and there's no obvious judder in iPlayer, Lovefilm etc. showing 25 fps TV content. I see judder sometimes in adverts when I'm streaming Fox through Sky Go on the 360, but not on the shows themselves.

So why is this a big issue on One? Did they have a good temporal scaler and they just left it out? Does it affect 50fps stuff like sports and soaps more than 25fps stuff?

I'm not sure I understand the framerate issue. I mean, I get that it's a problem in principle, but my 360 outputs at 720p60 - according to my TV - and there's no obvious judder in iPlayer, Lovefilm etc. showing 25 fps TV content. I see judder sometimes in adverts when I'm streaming Fox through Sky Go on the 360, but not on the shows themselves.

So why is this a big issue on One? Did they have a good temporal scaler and they just left it out? Does it affect 50fps stuff like sports and soaps more than 25fps stuff?

No no no no no no no no no no no, this will not do - its only an issue on the xbone, it has never been an issue on anything before then - it was never an issue watching US dvds on uk tv's /players and was never an issue on the dog shite sony lcd's Angel used to back up. It happened then and happens as you say in all sorts of ways daily but its only an issue on xbone because the ps4 is more bettererererererer.

Stop talking sense, do you not know how fanboy console love works?

I think my 360 is going to be the console to be removed from under the telly. It helps that it has some kind of weird hard drive issue that's stopping live updating, so won't go on the network.

Meanwhile, I'm going to sulk that my Apple TV outputs at 60hz and therefore isn't suitable for watching 50hz content on Netflix.

Err, you get the same frame judder on US DVDs regardless of the TV, it's due to the type of pull down they use. Of course PAL speed-up from 24fps to 25 has its own headaches.

Well no, when one had an interest in dvd the player used for the job did proper 4:4 pulldown with custom 98hz output - of course we dont mention pal discs being sped up because its not relevant to xbox one knocking!