IGNORED

The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

simms

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

Anyone know how the Xbox one x version now looks against the pros version off Titanfall 2? (Resolution wise)

It's better most of the time, although prior to the last patch the resolution could drop lower than the Pro because it was working harder rendering bloom, depth of field and geometry at 4k resolution. So the overall resolution of a frame could drop dynamically lower than the Pro in places to sustain the frame-rate because the overall load was that much greater than on the Pro. Respawn have patched this (presumably to render certain components at lower than 4k resolution), but DF haven't updated their analysis.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I think I read someone say the variable resolution means the XB1X version dips to 900p.

but I think they were joking...

Apparently it did when DF analysed the first patch. It's been patched again since then but DF haven't updated their analysis. Which, considering it shouldn't take long for them to do, seems a bit off after their initial "OMG what's up with TF2 on the X" article.

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Hence #no_bias

Not sure DF are biased against the Xbox considering the gushing nature of most of their X-related output since they went to Redmond. It seems more likely they're just really busy and haven't prioritised checking the new patch, which would have been courteous to Respawn given how promptly they turned the fix around.

8 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

Wolfenstein2 - 100% resolution increase over “Pro”

The evil within 2 - 100% resolution increase over “Pro”

Star Wars BF2 - 100% resolution increase over “Pro”

Welcome back to the “my console is better than yours” thread. :hat:

Exclusive software; 100% Pro.

Anyone got both a Pro and a One X with a 4K TV setup able to comment on any comparisons?

I'm thinking about getting a 4K TV soon and am trying to decide on whether I need an X at the same time. The resolution differences are, on paper, substantial. Just wondering how much difference there is in person - is Pro noticeably blurrier? Pro looks sharp on my 1080p TV and I don't want to "upgrade" my TV and have it actually look softer.

I don't have a one x but I have a PC with  gtx 1080 and a pro and i play all of my PC games in native 4k resolution on my KS7000. For the most part the pro does a really good job of looking good. Obviously not as pixel sharp as native 4k but certainly not soft. That award goes to the docked switch lol. 

With regard to the lovely man child bickering. To summarise the more money you throw at hardware the nicer your games look! Shocker 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone got both a Pro and a One X with a 4K TV setup able to comment on any comparisons?

I'm thinking about getting a 4K TV soon and am trying to decide on whether I need an X at the same time. The resolution differences are, on paper, substantial. Just wondering how much difference there is in person - is Pro noticeably blurrier? Pro looks sharp on my 1080p TV and I don't want to "upgrade" my TV and have it actually look softer.

Could you be the chosen one. The fabled individual the prophets foretold who can own more than one console at a time and enjoy them all? The ancient texts talk of such beings once existing.      

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve found the X a clear step up on the Pro. The textures it displays look phenomenal in some of the games. I’ve no games that I have on both systems that I can compare directly but Forza 7 is undoubtably a different level to what I thought was the graphical pinnacle on PS4 Pro, Horizon Zero Dawn.

1 minute ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

I’ve found the X a clear step up on the Pro. The textures it displays look phenomenal in some of the games. I’ve no games that I have on both systems that I can compare directly but Forza 7 is undoubtably a different level to what I thought was the graphical pinnacle on PS4 Pro, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Thanks. I'm more asking about resolution, though. Textures are definitely going to be a step up because there's loads more RAM.

8 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I don't have a one x but I have a PC with  gtx 1080 and a pro and i play all of my PC games in native 4k resolution on my KS7000. For the most part the pro does a really good job of looking good. Obviously not as pixel sharp as native 4k but certainly not soft.

Thanks. I think I'm going to spend the money I'd spend on an X on getting a better TV and get an X a bit later on.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Could you be the chosen one. 

If by "chosen one" you mean "Chad Warden," then yes. I am him.

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. I'm more asking about resolution, though. Textures are definitely going to be a step up because there's loads more RAM.

Theoretically, resolution jumps from 1080p to 4k are irrelevant - you're just using 4 pixels rather than 1. If the underlying panel is better than your current TV, it'll look better.

What is noticeable is that resolution increases of the source material on a 4k panel up to 4k (or quasi-4k or whatever) can look a lot better: simply through the implicit anti-aliasing.

Comparing the unpatched Destiny 2 (with what amounts to pixel crawl on thin features) to the patched Titanfall 2 - even if everything is static - is eye-opening: and it's not to do with effects, frame-rate etc. It's basically high end^ looking PC stuff at 30fps, and a significant improvement for base XBone or PS4 owners.

What I don't know is whether there's a significant different for PS4 Pro users if games have been patched on both systems to output a higher resolution: I strongly doubt it in normal play.

^ Or better, as long as you ignore frame rate, simply because of the fixed-target and HDR support.

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Not sure DF are biased against the Xbox considering the gushing nature of most of their X-related output since they went to Redmond. It seems more likely they're just really busy and haven't prioritised checking the new patch, which would have been courteous to Respawn given how promptly they turned the fix around.

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Hence #no_bias

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-has-respawn-fixed-titanfall-2-on-xbox-one-x