The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

simms

3 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Resolution stopped being important  the second that Project Scorpio was announced. DF even stopped doing multi format comparisons, instead opting to concentrate on PS4 vs Pro vs PC. Xbox One games only got a mention when they tested a beta for clickbait shock headlines or discovered something running considerably below 1080p.

The shift from 900p = dogshit & 1080p = phenomenal graphics, to downplaying the difference between Native 4K and whatever it is the Pro does has been fairly obvious. 

In short, fuck Digital Foundry and what they've done over this gen to gaming as a whole and this point scoring divisive narrative.

Going forward the message will be that while the PS4 can no longer boast the definitively better version of each multiformat title it will be deemed more than good enough. Truth be told for the past 4 years the xbox versions have also been good enough. 

Good enough for you, you mean. 

900p is dogshit, it's not an integer scale or designed to scale well with a 1080p screen at all, which is part of the reason almost all Xbox One games look odd and washed out when scaled to 1080p. This is also quite apparent with something like Zelda BotW while docked, it just looks a bit ... urgh ... crappy.

In all situations, 720p would of been a better choice as it scales much better to 1080p, being a 1.5x scale. Microsoft were originally shooting for this base resolution with the Xbox One hardware. 

At least now, when it comes to playing games on a 1080p screen with either of the mid gen refreshes, the resolution headroom is so much bigger, so everything will look really, really good. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Don't forget to add that in the end the PC version will always look the best!

It would never be seen as 'the best' in my eyes, as I would always be eyeing up a better gfx card, faster RAM etc etc. If I was a PC gamer I would constantly be thinking 'this could be better, I just can't afford it'.

And this is why I'm a console gamer.

+1

I love the idea of a PC but as soon as I had the power to alter the performance of the game I'd be forever checking the FPS counter or tweaking shadows or something to ensure I was getting the 'best' experience. That's on me of course - but I already spend enough time reading about games instead of playing them :P

4 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

It would never be seen as 'the best' in my eyes, as I would always be eyeing up a better gfx card, faster RAM etc etc. If I was a PC gamer I would constantly be thinking 'this could be better, I just can't afford it'.

Fair enough! I did that at first also, but nowadays I just get on with playing the games :)

10 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Guess so. However you are probably still getting a better graphical experience on PC over consoles....

Reason I predominately game on consoles is one of convenience.. A while back I upgraded the PC and tried the whole Steam link thing to my TV in the lounge and it was a bit of a faff TBH and found I was gravitating back to the XBox. 

The main reason I was trying out the PC is that I already had one and the games are cheaper usually (with better discounts on Steam sales etc).

To this end don't really care about frame-rates and resolutions TBH.. its all about the games and funny enough for me the pad. Prefer the XBox One pad over anything else and any multiplats I'd buy on the Xbox anyway because of that. Despite being worse technically over PS4. 

@MattyP I agree, I am one of the Kings of Convenience (see what I did there?!) - it's a huge plus point for me.

I hear what you're saying regarding the cost of games, but I guess I don't really buy that many. Although, I did buy Cave Story for Switch the it's probably something like £2.99 on Steam.

6 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

I hear what you're saying regarding the cost of games, but I guess I don't really buy that many. Although, I did buy Cave Story for Switch the it's probably something like £2.99 on Steam.

I found on Steam I was buying in the sales and just never getting around to playing them. So I really wasn't technically saving anything! :)

For me at the moment XBox One + XBox Live Gold is pretty much all I need. I get "free" games every month to try so even if I don't play them all the way through don't feel so bad for what just over £3 pcm?

Have a PS4 for some of the exclusives on there but don't buy any third party titles on it.

Anyway frame rates and resolutions...wish this would have stayed in the domain of the PC TBH. IMHO it has no place in console gaming! I blame digital foundry.... :D

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Anyway frame rates and resolutions...wish this would have stayed in the domain of the PC TBH. IMHO it has no place in console gaming! I blame digital foundry.... :D

Indeed. As someone brought up on the mantra that graphics don't make a game, I find the whole tedium and arguments about which has better rendering etc nauseous at best and downright embarrassing at worst when Team Xbox try to outdo Team PS at every turn. It's actually like a schoolyard. 

Always welcoming to discussion but the amount of bitterness in these threads is worrying considering what the average age of the forum is supposed to be, Ah well. 

2 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Indeed. As someone brought up on the mantra that graphics don't make a game, I find the whole tedium and arguments about which has better rendering etc nauseous at best and downright embarrassing at worst when Team Xbox try to outdo Team PS at every turn. It's actually like a schoolyard. 

Always welcoming to discussion but the amount of bitterness in these threads is worrying considering what the average age of the forum is supposed to be, Ah well. 

Dont blame this thread for that.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

So it's a good thing that we have a separate thtrad for it, right? :D

Once Halo 6 comes out I'm going to post 8k screenshots of the pc version :)

My bad, I was in the wrong tab. 

1 minute ago, simms said:

Dont blame this thread for that.  

As above. Appreciate the attitude though ;)

45 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

900p is dogshit, it's not an integer scale or designed to scale well with a 1080p screen at all, which is part of the reason almost all Xbox One games look odd and washed out when scaled to 1080p. This is also quite apparent with something like Zelda BotW while docked, it just looks a bit ... urgh ... crappy

In all situations, 720p would of been a better choice as it scales much better to 1080p, being a 1.5x scale.

To my mind this isn't accurate. There's was an argument for using neat multiples of a resolution back when most scaling was bilinear. These days almost everything is scaled using a Lancsoz filter or similar where more information always produces better results.

Also to claim Zelda looks crappy is just crazy. 

I'd just like to say that Zelda looks beautiful on the TV, and easily the best way to play it imo. 

To Boozy though, I honestly don't get what you're saying about DF. They've never put the Xbox down and will always comment on what they think of the art design and so on, the rest is just numbers. They were very complimentary about Gears 4, for example, and generally regarding backwards compatibility.

They even officially announced the Xbox One X specs and have been very positive about it. 

In short they're first and foremost pro videogames.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-quantum-break

They single handedly got the message out that Quantum Break was only 720p rendering it a disaster in the eyes of less informed gaming media at a time when resolution was regarded as of utmost importance when it came to judging a game and subsequently a console's quality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-gears-of-war-4-multiplayer-beta

They were very negative about the Gears of War 4 beta again lighting the fanboy war in anti xbox messaging with a poor initial impression.

Similar beta/early build impressions of PS4 games were not reported on and thusly not given such over critical analysis before it was warranted.

They've stoked the fanboy war for clicks time and time again and benefitted greatly from it. Imho.

6 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-quantum-break

They single handedly got the message out that Quantum Break was only 720p rendering it a disaster in the eyes of less informed gaming media at a time when resolution was regarded as of utmost importance when it came to judging a game and subsequently a console's quality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-gears-of-war-4-multiplayer-beta

They were very negative about the Gears of War 4 beta again lighting the fanboy war in anti xbox messaging with a poor initial impression.

Similar beta/early build impressions of PS4 games were not reported on and thusly not given such over critical analysis before it was warranted.

They've stoked the fanboy war for clicks time and time again and benefitted greatly from it. Imho.

The Gears of War 4 Analysis is totally gushing about the game (and rightly so). 

Stop making shit up and spinning it like your Donald Trump. The Beta was a technical mess, the final game wasn't, which is hardly surprising. It's a Beta.

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm not saying they haven't been, but to deny they've courted fanboy clicks with decidedly negative reports in comparison to the PS4 pre Scorpio announcement is hardly a fabrication on my part.

Fanboy clicks or just reporting on how stuff performs. I guess it comes down to which team you're on. *shrug*

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I just don't buy this bias thing you have going with Digital Foundry. They've been singing the X's praises since they had the big scoop on it!

Agree. I noticed this too! Which is fair enough I guess as MS gave them early access.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Agree. I noticed this too! Which is fair enough I guess as MS gave them early access.

I mean if you wanted to go full blown conspiracy theorist you could argue that them getting the hot exclusive on X whilst also being incredibly positive about it was rather suspect. #nobias

I see that as a major gamble on MS's part after years of them continually reporting on the Xbox One's position as weakest hardware with worst performance. When Sony was seriously lacking in first party content, multi plat performance became the main differentiator between the 2 consoles and the Bone was continually placed 2nd and this became the defining narrative of the generation. This differentiation between consoles disregarded and diminished the wealth of first party content that the Xbox One has provided this gen.