simms

The multiformat game comparison thread (resolution, frame rate etc)

Meat's original post:

<p>No flaming etc, just post factual or rumoured differences. If you really insist, I guess a little flaming's fine as it can be entertaining in the appropriate setting. After all, this is all about entertainment, eg Nintendo ENTERTAINMENT System (NES).Edit 24/10/13: PS4/XbO resolution/frame rate list taken from Rubber Johnny, with Resogun added

Playstation 4

• Resogun = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • The Order: 1886 = 1920x800 with borders
  • KillZone: Shadow Fall = 1920x1080 (MP=60fps, SP=30fps)
  • Infamous: Second Son = 1920x1080
  • DriveClub = 1920x1080 (Targeting 60fps)
  • Knack = 1920x1080 (Variable - 30-60fps)
  • Thief = 1920x1080
  • Warframe = 1920x1080
  • Call of Duty: GHOSTS 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • FIFA = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • NBA 2K14 = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • Battlefield 4 = 1600×900 (60fps)
  • UFC = 1920x1080 (30fps)
  • NFS = 1920x1080 (30fps)
  • Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag = 1920x1080 (30fps)
Xbox One
  • Killer Instinct = 1280x720 (60fps)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome = 1600x900 (30fps)
  • Call of Duty: GHOSTS = 1280x720 (60fps)
  • Titanfall = 1280x720 (to be confirmed)
  • Forza 5 = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • FIFA = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • Dead Rising 3 = "Dynamic" Resolution (30fps)
  • NBA 2K14 = 1920x1080 (60fps)
  • Battlefield 4 = 1280x720 (60fps)
  • UFC = 1920x1080 (30fps)
  • Dead Rising 3 = 1280x720 (30fps)
  • NFS = 1920x1080 (30fps)
  • Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag = 1600×900 (30fps)
  • Upvote 14
  • Downvote 14
  • Empathy 1

First up: Watchdogs. Yesterday there was some talk from Ubisoft of PS4 being better able handling higher resolution and frame rates:

"720p on PS360, 1080 on PS4, TBD on Xbox One"

"Both hit 30fps easy. I think Xbox One suffers a few dips from 60fps. PS4 is pretty smooth. Definitive version"

http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-playstation-4-gets-graphically-definitive-version-of-watch-dogs?cid=db_articles

The start of things to come?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You know what?

None of them look any better than a PS3 or Xbox 360

NONE!

Well... They do... But only a teeny tiny wee bit. Which has pissed me right off I can tell you.

I don't think the Graphics chips are up to it when compared to the larger scale.

In fact At this point.. I've spent this afternoon looking at Gaming PCs. It's that bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I can get a fairly beastly PC for 500 quid or under.

Or go balls out and spend more.

Assassins Creed 4 looked bloody good on the humble PC

And that is 29 POUNDS! To buy on Amazon, and I dare say less on Steam?

29 feckin cheapo doubloons!

How much is it going to be on the Xbox One? 50 quid... 60?

We must be loony bastards buying these next gen machines :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You know what?

NONE!

Well... They do... But only a teeny tiny wee bit. Which has pissed me right off I can tell you.

I don't think the Graphics chips are up to it when compared to the larger scale.

In fact At this point.. I've spent this afternoon looking at Gaming PCs. It's that bad.

This is why I cancelled both console pre-orders as I was hoping for a bigger leap. I've already gone PC, my first self build a couple of months back and its great. As well as playing definitive versions of next gen games, I be playing definitive versions of current gen gems like Dark Souls 2 and Batman Arkham Orgins and hopefully double dip on GTA V. Perhaps the thread title should include PC as its an option for multi plaform games.

You're not going to see a huge leap with launch titles, outside of first-party stuff. Look at Gun or Quake IV on the 360, for example - they'd be laughed at these days even on current gen.

• Upvote 1

First up: Watchdogs. Yesterday there was some talk from Ubisoft of PS4 being better able handling higher resolution and frame rates:

But the Wii U version will have proper touchscreen integration which will be great to use in game.

The start if things to come?

I saw a live demo of this at Eurogamer and it didn't look very good. It was running on the PS4, so if they have jumped up the resolution, they have definitely cut back on the texturing and effects. The world looked very flat and undetailed. It looked a lot more like the 'wrongly' uploaded video than the E3 stuff.

You know what?

NONE!

They will do in time, but at the moment we'll be stuck with this gen textures for a while.

As a test, I put on my launch 360 games. Call of duty , Tiger Woods and Need For Speed

Yes of course they are shonky. And I understand that.

The new PS4 games and One launch games are far from shonky. They are virtually the same. And that's the only problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is why I cancelled both console pre-orders as I was hoping for a bigger leap. I've already gone PC, my first self build a couple of months back and its great. As well as playing definitive versions of next gen games, I be playing definitive versions of current gen gems like Dark Souls 2 and Batman Arkham Orgins and hopefully double dip on GTA V. Perhaps the thread title should include PC as its an option for multi plaform games.

This is exactly what the sensible side of my brain is telling me to do right now (been debating upgrading my PC for months)...

Yet I simply can't resist the lure of new hardware, even though if I'm truly honest with myself the launch lineup doesn't really interest me much at all.

Truth is I'm lazy... If I could just buy a fully spec'd gaming PC ready to play out of the box (and at a custom build PC price) I'd be down that road right now.

This is exactly what the sensible side of my brain is telling me to do right now (been debating upgrading my PC for months)...

Yet I simply can't resist the lure of new hardware, even though if I'm truly honest with myself the launch lineup doesn't really interest me much at all.

Truth is I'm lazy... If I could just buy a fully spec'd gaming PC ready to play out of the box (and at a custom build PC price) I'd be down that road right now.

I'm a bit in the lazy side myself but I took my time with my build (stretched out over two days) as I've never built before and this is my first proper experience of PC gaming.

The lure of new console hardware is strong so I get that.

As for multiplatform comparisons we are probably not going to have any impressions until digital foundry gets there hands on them and the consoles and games are in people's homes.

The cross-generation games are always going to be the most limited ones. It was the same last time round (Just Cause, BF: MC).

I'm jumping in because this generation is right at its limit now, so if the jump gives me a steady framerate, V-Sync and 64 player BF4 I'm happy.

But you only have to look at the progression of games this gen to be excited.

You're unlikely to get anything more than anonymous claims from unreliable websites until both machines are either out or on the cusp of it. Might as well put the thread on ice for the next couple of months.

Interesting moment on this weeks bombcast where vinny asked about watchdogs being at 30fps and if it were possible that one manufacturer might pay a dev to make sure both versions had the same frame rate. Now, that suggestion would be laughed out of rllmuk but Jeff implied that it had happened last gen.

Interesting moment on this weeks bombcast where vinny asked about watchdogs being at 30fps and if it were possible that one manufacturer might pay a dev to make sure both versions had the same frame rate. Now, that suggestion would be laughed out of rllmuk but Jeff implied that it had happened last gen.

Rumours abound that XBO might run COD Ghosts at 720p whereas PS4 gets 1080p. Not confirmed yet but recent vids from the PS4 version have been 1080p 60fps. So if Xbo's version is weaker, no money thrown for this one

That's got to be optimisation issues or working with a weird architecture or something right? I mean, its seven year old predecessor runs CoD at 720p and 60fps, and the new CoD looks barely better.

Like I know the specs aren't as good as the PS4, but I also know they should be able to do far better than that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The difference in raw GPU power of the two machines is not big enough to account for such a difference.

The raw power difference is pretty big though, reports of esram thing being a bitch and not as good as the big pool of gddr5 that is there to use on ps4. I think its a mixture of them all power and being harder to develop for. But i think we are always going to see a difference of some kind though given the power difference at play.

Best case scenario puts it at 50% faster. Nowhere near enough to account for the difference between the resolutions.

I fully agree we will see a difference, but those who think it'll be 720 on one and 2080 on the other are going to be disappointed.

You know what?

Oh man, you've just reminded me that there were loads of people on this forum playing PS3/360 games in SD on 14" CRT TVs for years.

Looks aside (and yeah, I'm sure there are some super-lazy ports in the lineup), I'd prefer to play those games without choppy framerates and multi-minute initial loading times.

I can get a fairly beastly PC for 500 quid or under.

Highly doubtful, according to the PC building thread.

From gaf:

All the evidence states the Xbox One version has been behind since day 1.

-E3 word of 3 week port job for 90fps on PS4 and 4 month port job for 15fps on Xbox One.

-Pretty much all 3rd party game footage have been the PS4 version.

-Xbox One has multiple 720p games already.

-Infinity Ward states the footage this week is the PS4 version running at 1080p.

-Mort teases something big and confirms it has nothing to do with version parity or delays leading to a graphics difference being a high probability.

-Other know insiders start saying 720p for Xbox One on top of other issues.

-Bish bails the fuck out and takes shelter.

That's got to be optimisation issues or working with a weird architecture or something right? I mean, its seven year old predecessor runs CoD at 720p and 60fps, and the new CoD looks barely better.

Like I know the specs aren't as good as the PS4, but I also know they should be able to do far better than that.

Are you sure it doesn't run at 600p or whatever, like usual?