rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wahwah*

If you're not planning on getting one, what would it take to make you buy a Wii U?

I find it hard to believe that someone thinks people will think more of them if they play GTA 5 over Lego. They're both video games about make believe mans doing stupid stuff. Except one of them has a genuinely funny script and the other is GTA.

I think it's true though. Playing GTA V is like playing an interactive version of some Hollywood action movie, while playing Lego is a bit like watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon. Spongebob is hilarious, but it may raise a few eyebrows if you confess to it in the wrong crowd.

I think it's true though. Playing GTA V is like playing an interactive version of some Hollywood action movie, while playing Lego is a bit like watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon. Spongebob is hilarious, but it may raise a few eyebrows if you confess to it in the wrong crowd.

I think non-gamers would likely think less of you for playing GTA than Lego. People in my family and my GF have said to me in the last week "isn't GTA the game where you kill prostitutes?".

I have zero interest in Lego, but I equally have no interest in GTA.

Until Steam sells me a whole collection for pennies come christmas I suppose.

There's a few things that Nintendo could do to get me to buy a Wii U, but first, there is a mandatory prerequisite, which is the addition of a proper account system and the removal and repudiation of the idea that games should be tied to a single console. I will not be buying the console while that limitation is in place.

Once NIntendo get past that hurdle, each of the things below would push me further towards a Wii U purchase:

- the removal of region locking. I'm sure there's no real chance of this happening, but it would definitely make me feel better about a purchase.

- interesting uses for the GamePad, in terms of interacting with the TV. I have virtually no interest in off-TV play and only very limited interest in using a separate screen for a map or inventory. The most interesting use I've seen or heard of is still ZombiU, and that's mainly interesting because it plays off the awkwardness of the controller.

- more games, and different games. I'm not an easy target customer for Nintendo. My interest in Mario and Zelda and Mario Kart is rather limited - these are not games that I don't enjoy, just not games that I can imagine myself buying a console for. My interest in Pikmin and Smash Bros. is totally non-existent. The parts of the Nintendo library that I might be interested in - Metroid and F-Zero mainly - are stagnating.

- friends with the console. Nintendo don't have much control over that, but it's a factor anyway. Nobody I know owns a Wii U or appears to have any intention of getting one. People talk about the PS4, the Xbox One, new phones, tablets, never the Wii U. It's clearly designed to form social experiences and that also, clearly, isn't working.

- cross-platform Virtual Console (with developer-optional cross-platform purchases of eShop games). I know there's technical reasons making things difficult for 3DS Virtual Console purchases to work on Wii U and vice versa, but this is something Nintendo need to seriously think about. Purchases make more sense to me (and I am more likely to make those purchases) if they will work on more devices.

- something like PlayStation Plus. I don't know if I'd find the time to play the games from two Plus-type subscriptions, but I'd probably want to try anyway. Plus is Sony's not-very-secret weapon and I can barely believe that Microsoft and Nintendo have let them get away with that for so long. Nintendo, who have several decades of good games to draw from, could especially benefit from something like Plus.

- Nintendo to start keeping their promises in some kind of timely manner. Many games have been delayed. The promised interface updates were both delayed and the second one still hasn't appeared. People are still waiting for Miiverse on 3DS and smartphones. The eShop still doesn't have a web or mobile version despite that being promised ages ago. Nintendo don't seem very reliable. Excuses/explanations like "Nintendo underestimated HD development" don't exactly help either.

That's about it. Nintendo probably wouldn't have to achieve all of that to get me buying, but they need to make a start on it. Price isn't massively important to me, although of course a lower price wouldn't exactly damage my chances of buying the machine.

• Upvote 7

Being a 38 year old man child who actually cares what people thinks of what they do in their spare time is one of the most depressing things I've ever read. I find it hard to believe that someone thinks people will think more of them if they play GTA 5 over Lego. They're both video games about make believe mans doing stupid stuff. Except one of them has a genuinely funny script and the other is GTA.

If this is directed at me, youre way off, you totally misunderstood...and you think gta v is not funny? Youre mental, man.

Nintendo's target market is every single human in Japan. Unfortunately the Japanese are allergic to televisions or living rooms or something these days.

If people like us, with more money than sense and a delight for everything new and shiny, aren't their target market, then who is? Do they even know themselves? So far it doesn't seem Nintendo manages to reach their target market, whoever that may be.

Target market is kids/families and hardcore older Nintendo fans who grew up on Nintendo and aren't sick to death of the franchises

The n64 and GameCube proved this market isn't big enough, with Wii they tapped into casuals and female gamesplayers with sports and fit. Presumably they are hoping lightning will strike twice...

Or they are happy to be profitable with a small slice of market as they were with n64 and gamecube

N64 was the best thing since sliced bread though, they just had genuinely good competition. It wasn't due to franchise stagnation. You could argue GameCube just had very aggressive competition too, because there was still plenty of innovative moments.

They should indeed be happy with 'enough' sales. Not earth-shattering ones.

I think non-gamers would likely think less of you for playing GTA than Lego. People in my family and my GF have said to me in the last week "isn't GTA the game where you kill prostitutes?".

You could politely suggest that they stop reading the Daily Mail and try something with a more balanced viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

I suspect you're not their target market

I'm even more confident than you that I'm not their target market. However, that's not particularly helpful for Nintendo. The people that they're fishing for aren't biting, not in large numbers anyway. In the meantime, I wouldn't say that it's very hard to get me to buy a console, including Nintendo consoles. Nintendo games might not have huge appeal to me personally, but there's plenty of third party stuff that would push me towards buying a Wii U if it were exclusive.

Looking through my post, nothing is there that's outrageously difficult. I'm asking for a sensible account system, not to be punished because I live in Europe, for Nintendo to find (or, if they have them already, tell me about) a few interesting uses for a Nintendo-designed controller that is the system's primary selling point, for online services that approach equivalence with 2010 Sony, and for Nintendo to release things when they promise to.

If Nintendo can't deliver at least some of that, then I'm okay not being their target market, but a little bit puzzled as to why exactly they don't want me to be in that target.

• Upvote 4

If this is directed at me, youre way off, you totally misunderstood...and you think gta v is not funny? Youre mental, man.

GTA V's script isn't funny. The game is quite amusing, but the comedy comes from the emergent gameplay, certainly not the script which is quite horrible in most places.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd probably need the return of some games that made me love the GameCube so much, probably Mario Kart and a Viewtiful Joe style remake that uses the WiiU's screen controller thingy in interesting ways. But in all honesty had my wife not bought me one I doubt I'd have bothered after not really getting on with the Wii (which was partly my fault for getting a Japanese one). Although the wiimote&nunchuck was bollocks...

GTA V's script isn't funny. The game is quite amusing, but the comedy comes from the emergent gameplay, certainly not the script which is quite horrible in most places.

Anything involving Franklin and any of his friends is just embarrassingly poor in GTA, it wasn't a great decision to make that the focus of the first two hours at all.

Any comedy in GTA comes from the radio stations really and when it's not getting bogged down in heavy handed Apple parody that can be quite good.

20% in, id totally disagree, franklin and his friends are great, michael is too, and trevor is spectacular. Loads of laugh out loud moments for me from the cut scenes alone.

Agreed. And Employee of the month was properly funny. BAWSAQ is comedy genius. The Wii U needs to deliver something totally unique though. No point having just another place to play driving simulator XX and righteous slaughter. It needs that charm and originality which OOT/MM, Waverace64, Sunshine at times, Galaxy and Metroid prime 1 had. Something you really feel like you need to experience and can't get anywhere else. Pikmin3 is their best punt at that so far.

Pikmin is very funny at times. I suspect angel is missing out because he's put off by the primary colours.

More games like Majora's Mask and Mario Sunshine would be welcome. If they insist on using the same characters and game types they could at least shake them up more often.

I'd buy one if Nintendo made their entire back-catalogue available with the following pricing:

NES - 99p

SNES - £1.99

N64 - £2.99

GameCube - £3.99

Wii - £4.99

All playable on a GamePad with its save-anywhere feature.

• Upvote 2

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition with exclusive Karnov.

I'd buy one if Nintendo made their entire back catalogue available with the following pricing:

NES - 99p

SNES - £1.99

N64 - £2.99

GameCube - £3.99

Wii - £4.99

All playable on a GamePad with its save-anywhere feature.

Great idea, impossible to to licensing. I recently stuffed my modded wii with snes, md, nes, n64 etc games and bought a wii snes pad. Its overwhelmingly useful, playing thunderforce 3, the seken densetsu 3 translation, streets of rage etc. I could survive years on a desert island with that alone. (with a tv and a generator etc, and monkey butlers).

You could politely suggest that they stop reading the Daily Mail and try something with a more balanced viewpoint.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you can say to give balance to a regular joe. The fact is the GTA games are insanely violent, and the majority of people won't appreciate all of the magical things that gamers see when they play them.

Graham Lineham has been pretty vocal about the bad writing when compared to The Last of Us.

Bawsaq is funny though.

franklin and his friends are great

Literally all I got from all those sections was people repeating the words "Shit", "Motherfucker" and "Nigga"(which is the way the subtitles insist on spelling it) in a different order constantly.