Hearthstone

On 09/04/2020 at 18:55, Robbo said:

I only dip in occasionally now, but is there a replacement for Whizbang? That was really my go-to as I don't have the dust to keep up with any meta decks

I was disappointed Whizbang went as well.

However, Zayle, Shadow Cloak is still around: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Zayle,_Shadow_Cloak

He pretty much does the same thing. You can craft him or get him from the Dalaran Heist.

On 10/04/2020 at 18:32, MattKB said:

I’ve got a ton of gold and haven’t bought packs for years. Which should I mostly be focusing on on to get “back in the game”. Bought about 20 dragons and ashes each so far. 

I would have said go for the new class' cards but everything else is building to beat that class & it's not so fun anymore.

Personally I would recommend the super fast Face Hunter. Not many expensive cards. You either win or lose within 5 minutes. https://hsreplay.net/archetypes/355/face-hunter

There are a few more cheap-ish competitive decks currently. A lot of clearance cards are single-target so building a wide board is working.

Most other classes are quite expensive I think. Lots of essential legendaries & epics.

Done with this now. A new expansion and a kicking out of cards usually makes it fun, but this isn't. All I'm seeing is the same gimmicky net decks that require zero thought in order to play them so I'm out. I've never played so many games where I just felt annoyed as in the last 2 weeks.

On 18/01/2020 at 03:37, makkuwata said:

I fell off the wagon. Having played casually yet nightly since beta I somehow drifted away and hadn't played in months.

Loaded it up after dinner on a whim and now the stats are telling me I've played 8 hours of battlegrounds. Oops. I seriously dread the day they surface total play time across all modes. It will literally be counted in years. Battlegrounds are pretty fun though eh? :D

After a run of second or third places I finally managed a comfortable win. But I wasn't even focusing, I was just in a trance. Where did the time go?

mNmgwWt.png

:unsure:

• 2 months later...

New expansion announced - Scholomance Academy.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-gb/expansions-adventures/scholomance-academy/

This is the first time I've been put off by an expansion premise. There have been a few 'meh' ones but this one just feels a little lame to me. The new keyword Spellburst doesn't seem exciting either.

They are doing dual-class cards so that could be fun, but I worry that it will make decks more expensive as there are more legendaries available. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 14:01, QuackQuack said:

New expansion announced - Scholomance Academy.

https://playhearthstone.com/en-gb/expansions-adventures/scholomance-academy/

This is the first time I've been put off by an expansion premise. There have been a few 'meh' ones but this one just feels a little lame to me. The new keyword Spellburst doesn't seem exciting either.

They are doing dual-class cards so that could be fun, but I worry that it will make decks more expensive as there are more legendaries available. 

I'm the opposite - I think this is actually pretty cool theme wise (I love Scholomances lore in WoW) and Spellburst allows for some interesting possibilities.  At first, you just assume it means that you have to combo out your cards with your spells making it a crappy battlecry variation, but there are some nuances that make it much more interesting to play.  For example, summoning cards with it now have much more value because you get to trigger the spellburst still, rather than losing it like a battlecry would.  Some cards are set up to allow combos like the druid 1/1 that has spellburst:summon another - which also has spellburst.  Meaning if you can chain a few cheap spells like innervates, coins and cheap buffs, you set up a decent board of tokens.  Some of the spellburst effects themselves are cool as well.  Plus, spellburst just fits with the idea of a school of magic as well, I think.

Now they've revealed the card set fully there are definitely some interesting cards there and some interesting possibilities.  I've told myself that I'm not buying into any more expansions as the cost compared to how much I play isnt worth it, but I do find myself tempted.

That said, one thing I've thought about now is just how much I've spent on the game, largely now on sets that I use even less because they've cycled out of standard.  And its a lot, I've probably spent over £300 on hearthstone now I think about it.  While that is over quite a few years, it suprised me that it was that much, so now I think about the expansions in terms of adding to that total and it puts me off a bit.  Might be a weird way to think about it, but on the other hand it is saving me money by putting me off buying this expansion.

• 2 months later...

I hadn't played or thought about this game in months, and then last night I saw a mention of the new expansion featuring the return of the Old Gods.

Just when I thought I was out... actually, I'm still not sure I care. Whispers of the Old Gods was the best (or at least my favourite) this game has ever been though, so if anything can pique my interest again it'll be this.

Yeah new expansion - Madness of the Darkmoon Faire - features the old gods heavily, which isnt actually inconsistent with in game lore, as there have been a load of theories that the Darkmoon Faire has the old gods presence behind it.

All 4 old gods return.

C'thun now has a start of game effect which shuffles 4 spells into your deck, when you draw and cast all 4 you get C'thun, who is a 6/6, battlecry of deal 30 damage spread amongst enemy characters.

Yog Saron has the same stats and mana, but if you've cast 10 spells before playing you "spin the wheel of yogg" which has 6 effects, one of which happens.  One has a lower chance to happen than the rest, which is to spam pyroblasts till 1 player is dead.

N'zoth ressurects a minion for each minion type that you've played (eg, if you've played 3 beasts, 2 murlocs, and 4 mechs, you'll get one of each of those 3 minion types)

Y'shaarj gives you copies of all corrupted cards you've played and makes their mana 0 for that turn.

Corrupted is the new keyword.  If you are holding a card with it on, and play a card with a higher mana cost first (doesnt have to be the same turn, just at all) then you get the added effect. Bit weird as it means potetially playing off curve but some look powerful - like one is a 5 mana 4/4 that turns into an 8/8 with rush, if I remember right.

I think they did well with Scholomance, so it'll be interesting see what they do here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...