Hearthstone

6 hours ago, Padster said:

I think they've got the solo format nailed for variety/challenge now.

I agree that its probably ideal right now. I did look up strategies for the first wing on there and I can see how other ways than the one I took would work. I really enjoy the solo stuff, adds a lot to the game. I need some more gold though for the other wings, need to make sure I keep up with quests. Bought the second one with gold.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve nothing but Tavern Brawl since I reinstalled. I’ve found it scratches the itch I had, and sometimes (like this weeks) it enables incredible stuff like this.  The Druid could put on 16 armour per turn with the right cards iirc. He gives up all board control to do it and I can keep dropping Rag when the game goes long.  :hat:

0754064A-D554-49D6-8932-06F99A99E90B.png

• 5 weeks later...

Next expansion announced at Blizzcon, Descent of Dragons.  Finishing of the Leaugue of Evil story thats run through the year with the league attempting to ressurect Galakrond, who for those not familiar with WoW lore, is a massive dragon whos bones can be found in Northrend, whos one of the largest Dragons ever to have existed.  Keeping with the theme of good vs bad, the "bad" classes each get a Galakrond card which acts as a hero card.  This can be upgraded by using cards with the new key word - Incite.  Incite works like a battlecry and goes towards both updgrading your Galakrond but also acts as though you've cast the hero power for whichever classes GK hero card you're using.  This is regardless of if you have played the hero card or anything, you always get that effect.  The "good" classes have side quests.  These seem like super value cards (which cost 1 mana and arent legendary so you can play 2).

All the Galakrond hero cards so far shown have followed the same formula.  Can upgrade twice, costs 7 mana, the final upgrade equips you a 5/2 weapon and each version has a unique effect that will trigger 1/2/4 times depending on your upgrade.  And a new hero power of course.  Examples shown so far are Rogue (effect is draw a card, reduce cost to 0, hero power adds a random lackey to your hand), Warlock (summon a random demon, hero power spawns 2 1/1 imps) and priest (destroy a random enemy minion, hero power adds a random priest card to your hand).  There is a pretty big bonus this expansion though - you get all 5 classes Galakrond hero cards FOR FREE when you log in.  The rogue one in particular looks bonkers at max level - sprint draws you 4 cards and sees play, this gives you a bunch of other stuff and discounts the cards to 0 so you can play them the turn you draw them for some potential super value, or even to set up some crazy turns later.

Also, in what feels like it could be a response to the 4 mana 7/7 meme, paladins get a 4 mana 8/8.  Nozdormu, which also sets each player to 10 (empty) mana crystals.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an invite to the battlegrounds beta today which will be fun to try. Was a bit annoyed it was restricted to people pre purchasing the expansion packs as I’ve been around since the original beta, so that’s great. 

in other news, quest druids can go and die in a hole. Now. 

So after a couple of times where i lagged out and had to close the client, I had my first proper game of battlegrounds this morning.  And amazingly, I won!  The thing is though, while it was fun, and felt pretty satisfying....it also didnt feel like I really had much of a hand in it.  I mean, I obviously did, my choices won me the game.  But after the post-win buzz, looking at what I was doing....at the time of doing it there was always a kind of "im not sure if this is the best plan".  There's definitely some skill and strategy behind what you do, but if felt like my choices won more through luck than some informed decision I was making.

I was playing as Nef, who gets the handy ability to spend a coin to deal 1 damage to all enemy minions next turn.  The real value of this is getting rid of divine shields, especially useful if your opponent puts one on a minion with poisonous.  Later on in the game, you get loads of value if your opponent has a bunch of divine shield minions.  Or early on, that 1 damage can matter.  Outside of that, not so much.  But the decision to use it isnt really much of a decision, because you dont know what you're up against.  I ended up with a mech themed deck, but only because I got lucky early on with a discover card that netted me a decent mech followed up quickly by getting 3 of those mechs that increase their damage by 1 each turn to get a golden one of them.

Like I said, I'm sure there are high level players who can win consistently and employ actual strategy, but i get the impression that for most people its a case of making a few obvious powerful plays and then hoping for the best.

So they've started revealing more cards now for the next expansion, one being the new warrior Galakrond hero card.....and honestly, it looks utterly bonkers, especially considering everyone is getting it free.

Like the others, its 7 mana, and has 3 forms, which you upgrade by playing minions with the Invoke keyword (note that Invoke also acts like a battlecry for the minion when you play it, doing whatever the version of Galakronds hero power becomes for the class you're playing).  Like all the others, each form has a thing it does once, twice or 4 times depending what level he is, with the final level also equiping you with a 5/2 weapon.  So whats the bonkers stuff - well, the hero power becomes "add +3 attack to your hero this turn", which we've already seen is powerful, more so in a class that can also equip weapons (like, you know, that nice 5/2 weapon you get with the last form).  The other bit, draws you 1, 2 or 4 minions and gives them +4/+4.  Not draw a card, give any minions +4/+4, it always draws minions.  Say hello to highlight reels with someone swinging for 8 damage on the weapon the turn after, followed by a 10/6 leeroy and 2 5/5 stonetusk boars to nearly one shot someone.  Warrior had some ridiculous face decks in the past back in the dark days of pre-nerf patches and even aside from that, considering it still has Korkron Elites as well, and that +3 damage on top of weapon damage, unless they make invoking enough times hard to pull off, post turn 7 is gonna be crazy for warriors.

On 17/11/2019 at 12:46, George Clooney said:

So after a couple of times where i lagged out and had to close the client, I had my first proper game of battlegrounds this morning.  And amazingly, I won!  The thing is though, while it was fun, and felt pretty satisfying....it also didnt feel like I really had much of a hand in it.  I mean, I obviously did, my choices won me the game.  But after the post-win buzz, looking at what I was doing....at the time of doing it there was always a kind of "im not sure if this is the best plan".  There's definitely some skill and strategy behind what you do, but if felt like my choices won more through luck than some informed decision I was making.

I was playing as Nef, who gets the handy ability to spend a coin to deal 1 damage to all enemy minions next turn.  The real value of this is getting rid of divine shields, especially useful if your opponent puts one on a minion with poisonous.  Later on in the game, you get loads of value if your opponent has a bunch of divine shield minions.  Or early on, that 1 damage can matter.  Outside of that, not so much.  But the decision to use it isnt really much of a decision, because you dont know what you're up against.  I ended up with a mech themed deck, but only because I got lucky early on with a discover card that netted me a decent mech followed up quickly by getting 3 of those mechs that increase their damage by 1 each turn to get a golden one of them.

Like I said, I'm sure there are high level players who can win consistently and employ actual strategy, but i get the impression that for most people its a case of making a few obvious powerful plays and then hoping for the best.

been playing a fair bit of this, and there's deffo a strategy, 

Turn 1 - 3 mana - buy either the cat or the merlon that generates a token

turn 2 - 4 mana - upgrade

turn 3 - 5 mana- sell token buy 2 minions

turn 4 - 6 mana - buy 2 tokens 

turn 5 - 7 mana - upgrade and buy minion, sell a token to refresh if need be 

then its gets a bit looser but try to get tavern to level 5 quickly.

As to what to buy, mechs are best followed by beasts, murlocs worst, 

getting an amalgam with taunt, poison and divine shield is the best thing. 

Then you want something with cleave to dig through divine shields and a multiplier that grows as everything else dies like junkbot or hyena.

Then that's where luck comes in, some games you get exactly the minions you need and loads of triples, others you just get offered shite. If I have a board full of mechs I'll get lots of 1 star murlocs on offer, thanks bob.

Fishing for triples rarely works.

On 23/11/2019 at 17:34, George Clooney said:

So they've started revealing more cards now for the next expansion, one being the new warrior Galakrond hero card.....and honestly, it looks utterly bonkers, especially considering everyone is getting it free.

Like the others, its 7 mana, and has 3 forms, which you upgrade by playing minions with the Invoke keyword (note that Invoke also acts like a battlecry for the minion when you play it, doing whatever the version of Galakronds hero power becomes for the class you're playing).  Like all the others, each form has a thing it does once, twice or 4 times depending what level he is, with the final level also equiping you with a 5/2 weapon.  So whats the bonkers stuff - well, the hero power becomes "add +3 attack to your hero this turn", which we've already seen is powerful, more so in a class that can also equip weapons (like, you know, that nice 5/2 weapon you get with the last form).  The other bit, draws you 1, 2 or 4 minions and gives them +4/+4.  Not draw a card, give any minions +4/+4, it always draws minions.  Say hello to highlight reels with someone swinging for 8 damage on the weapon the turn after, followed by a 10/6 leeroy and 2 5/5 stonetusk boars to nearly one shot someone.  Warrior had some ridiculous face decks in the past back in the dark days of pre-nerf patches and even aside from that, considering it still has Korkron Elites as well, and that +3 damage on top of weapon damage, unless they make invoking enough times hard to pull off, post turn 7 is gonna be crazy for warriors.

Theyve also just revealed a neutral legendary that’s a 6 mana 6/6 which either draws your Galakrond card, or if you are Galakrond, does one of 4 discoverable things - summon an 8/8 with taunt, deal 5 damage to your opponent and heal you for 5, deal 5 damage to all other minions, or give all your minions +2/+2....I wonder how managed Galakrond decks were gonna see at launch now then?!?

• 2 weeks later...

So they've released the cards for fireside taverns or whatever so people are making decks and playing with them so we have an idea of what could be good.

First of, in the "we were glad it went away and no one asked for it back" category, so far Pirate Warrior is looking pretty strong.  As in, welcome to the new standard cancer for a few months.  Fuelled by a few new cards, one being the warrior legendary weapon that draws you pirates, making it so you can reload decently, a 1 mana pirate that adds a pirate to your hand, and the neutral pirate that re-equips a weapon you lost, meaning you can potentially get loads of charges of that one to draw you more pirates. Add in a pirate that plays itself for free if you play another pirate and the pirate equivalent of flamewaker, and pirates are pushing out crazy damage, crazy fast.

This may calm down when decks become a bit more refined, and other classes seem to be getting some decks shaping up nicely too.

Mage in particular looks strong, with highlander dragon looking good as well as elemental decks fuelled by mana cyclone, which plays nicely into mana giant.  Highlander decks with new Maly, Zephyrs, Reno and new Alex look really strong.

Galakrond shaman also looks strong, with it getting what looks like one of the stronger invoke packages, and some solid cards in general which could fit into decks.  I suspect we'll see a lot of revisions of versions of their deck.  Sudderwock has some crazy value in here.

People have been playing a few versions of druid ramp decks, and new Ysera has been surprisingly good in them.  Especially as you can Ysera > floop and get a tonne of portals which then flood the board with stuff late on.

Not seen much hunter stuff, but people are saying its strong still.  Same with priest though its very much going to control with value from Galakronds hero power.  Sounds like they're running some of the combo stuff and healing and grinding the games out.

Paladin I havent seen much good stuff for.  I've heard mech paly is not back thanks to that new mech buffer, but the paly only archetype hasnt hit a decent deck yet.  Similarly rogue and warlock have decks people are playing, but nothing nuts yet.

Still early days, be interesting see how it develops.

Balance changes coming already, mostly for shaman apparently as Galakrond Shaman in various forms are dominating at the moment.  Unsurprising really, the Shaman version is strong on its own, but it also probably has the best invoke cards, as they allow you to maintain board control much easier than the others, while being useful themselves.  One is basically glacial shard with rush, the other invokes twice, meaning its also the easiest to get to its final form.  Couple that with the shaman quest, which if you do before gives you 4 8/8 rush minions for 9, and then you can shudderwock after to get them all back.  But basically you can play a bunch of Shaman decks that are all doing really well at the moment - overload aggro galakrond, highlander galakrond, quest galakrond, dragon galakrond.....basically put the galakrond package in any other theme for shaman and you're good.

• 1 month later...

I fell off the wagon. Having played casually yet nightly since beta I somehow drifted away and hadn't played in months.

Loaded it up after dinner on a whim and now the stats are telling me I've played 8 hours of battlegrounds. Oops. I seriously dread the day they surface total play time across all modes. It will literally be counted in years. Battlegrounds are pretty fun though eh? :D

After a run of second or third places I finally managed a comfortable win. But I wasn't even focusing, I was just in a trance. Where did the time go?

• 2 months later...

Just in time for all you people isolating, or at least the 3 still playing in this forum - new expansion announced and its a doozy.

Ashes of Outland - Launches April the 7th.

New Features:

A whole new class - Demon Hunter! - thats right, HS finally gets a whole new class to play with.  And its free.  The hero representing it is Illidan Stormrage, due to the theme of the Burning Crusade the expansion is basing itself around.

- Hero Power - Demon Claws 1 mana, add 1 attack to your hero this turn.  Similar to Druids, but no armour and holy shit at 1 mana meaning you can weave it in super easily.  It also stacks on top of weapon damage, meaning you can boost up your weapon strikes pretty easily.

- Key word - Outcast Specific to Demon Hunters, this acts a little like combo, where cards have a base effect but if you can trigger the outcast condition, it'll add an effect.  In this case, to trigger outcast, the card must be either the furthest left or right card in your hand.  Themeatically, its a little bit of a stretch but I can see where they were going, but the idea is that it'll make you think about the order you play cards.  It also rewards top decking them.

- Playstyle/Themes The devs have gone for 3 potential styles of play with the decks - a faster, weapon/attack based style where attacking synergises with other cards, a minion swarm based style where you get bonuses for minion death, and a control style where you play big demons.

- You'll get a 30 card base deck for completing an intro game there will be other cards that you get from packs, and they'll get more than other classes this year to make up for the other classes head start.

Non Demon Hunter stuff;

Imprisoned Demons - despite being demons, not restricted to DH or Warlock.  These are generally cheap minions that are overstated for the cost, and have a powerful effect, but come into play dormant for 2 turns, after which the effect triggers.

Prime minions - legendaries that have a low cost, reasonably useful minion, that on deathrattle shuffle a "Prime" version into your deck, that is much more powerful.  An example being the Rogue one Akama Prime, a 6 mana 6/5 that is permanently stealthed.  Unless your opponent has enough AoE to remove him or taunts to block him, you can just sit him there and have him chip away at your opponents face for 6 each turn (more with cold bloods) without them being able to do much.  The mage one Solarian Prime gives you spell damage as well as casting half a Yoggs Puzzle Box that specifically targets your opponents stuff when it can, meaning no accidentally pyroblasting your own face.

Theyve also announced a bunch of rewards and stuff like more packs being rewarded for certain things, and if you havent played for ages, you'll get a competitive deck that you can choose the class for which will come with legendaries and be built appropriately.

I still play quests each day and have a nice few decks going. I tend to play in the morning with my coffee and toast, and now I'm stuck at home its always good for a quick blast. New expansion looks good, and the game always becomes more casual friendly with a new release! Good time to jump back in if people dropped it a while ago.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, And said:

Anyone still playing?

I’m playing again, yeah. I actually started playing Gwent a week or so ago too, which probably wasn’t ideal timing in theory, with Outland just around the corner, but I’ve been furloughed, so I’m finding it easy enough to find the time to play a bit of both here and there.

Speaking of the new expansion, I’m already wondering how long it’ll be before they make some changes to Demon Hunter. The class is ridiculously overpowered at the moment, to the extent that the combination of that and the level of representation on ladder at the moment mean that all nine other classes currently show a sub-45% winrate on HSReplay, which is absolutely insane.

image.thumb.jpeg.94764e87e4b51b632faf471981d9c423.jpeg

I think the Galakrond Shaman nerfs took nine days (when that deck wasn’t as dominant or prevalent as about three different DH ones currently are), and it wouldn’t surprise me if this prompts an even quicker response.

Yeah, from messing around yesterday Demon hunter is ludicrously OP. I tried building a couple of decks around legends I opened but just got swamped by DH players to the Lou t of giving up and joining them. 
It’s  a shame as I used to really like the first week of a new meta but this one feels broken by the new class 

Yep a few cards have gone up one mana. 
I’m getting pretty sick of zephrys swinging matches, another year of bullshit high rolling to look forward to. 
Happened 3 tiles this morning. I’ve won on the next turn only for him To magic out mass dispel or something. They should limit him to cards from the class you’re playing. 

I stand corrected - I though he was still Standard as my Whizbang is Wonderful deck didn't have a "tap to convert" caption when I looked at my deck list in Standard. Try to start a Standard game with him and THEN they tell you he's been moved to Wild.

35 minutes ago, Padster said:

I stand corrected - I though he was still Standard as my Whizbang is Wonderful deck didn't have a "tap to convert" caption when I looked at my deck list in Standard. Try to start a Standard game with him and THEN they tell you he's been moved to Wild.

I think its a bit crappy to take him out and not replace him to be honest. I think Blizzard said that everyone gets a Demon Hunter deck to start with so that should be fine but it's nothing like a replacement.

I'm playing with one of the recipe dragon priest decks and it's an absolute beast, need to look how I can make it my own now.