rllmuk
Hexx

Hearthstone

12 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

The thread has been anything but active. I'm really enjoying the new expansion though. I've played the game more in the last couple of weeks than I probably have in the last year. Ranked is actually interesting and there are still loads of decks about. The Arena changes are just fantastic and the whole game is just generally much more fun to play than it has been for a long, long time.

I also got 5 packs from picking the winner. Randomly clicking on a name for the win!

I'm enjoying it again, but I do only potter about with it playing a few games a day. I have some nice decks though, but I think my decision making can be very poor so am trying to concentrate more on that.

21 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

The versatility Rogue has is its greatest strength though. I was thinking about linking a couple of decks, but honestly, instead of you crafting some netdeck and spending unnecessary dust, I think you making your own deck would probably help more. There are a lot of variants at the moment, but most of the core cards are still in the basic and classic set, and are 80% common and and rare cards, so you almost definitely have them in your collection. Let me know the following:

Do you want to play the super-aggresive Wagglepick rogue that is going around, or the Lackey rogue that focuses on doing crazy stuff with Togwaggle, Scheme and Shadowsteps (and also sometimes plays Wagglepick)?

Which of the following legendaries do you have? - Bloodmage Thalnos, Leeroy, Edwin, Captain Greenskin, Ziliax, Myras Unstable Element, Chef Nomi

I like the idea of having Heistbaron Togwaggle played multiple times as it makes each end game exciting and different. I'd agree with not netdecking so this is my current Rogue deck:

# 2x (0) Backstab
# 1x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 1x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Togwaggle's Scheme
# 1x (2) EVIL Cable Rat
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Novice Engineer
# 2x (2) Sap
# 2x (2) Shiv
# 2x (2) Sunfury Protector
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) EVIL Miscreant
# 2x (3) Fan of Knives
# 1x (6) Heistbaron Togwaggle
# 1x (6) Vanish
# 2x (7) Sprint

The theory I've got is that I have multiple low-cost card draws to quickly pull out Togwaggle and the lackeys while keeping my opponent at bay. I can cast Scheme on Togwaggle, Evil Miscreant or Cable Rat to keep doing that and then with the option for multiple legendaries or Van Cleef I can win the game.

That's the theory, but the problem seems to be that at that point I'm usually low on health and then I have to rely on getting a Legendary that heals or has a big taunt. I'm thinking I could get Raiding Party and a few Dread Corsairs instead of Sunfury Protector or Novice Engineer for some more protection. I also think I may have too many cards with Miscreant and scheme. Maybe Lab Recruiter or another Preparation and lose a Sprint?

I've only got Van Cleef out of that list you mentioned. Was thinking of crafting Leeroy, though. Maybe Bloodmage - I know he's one of those cards that seems a bit useless to those who don't know the intricacies of the game, though :D

The nerfs go live today, and I have to say that I think they're all pretty reasonable... apart from Preparation finally getting hit. I'd have rather it got HOF'ed than nerfed, but then it's been my favourite card for years, so I'm less than happy to see it hit; when a card has been defining the Rogue Spell cards as much as Prep has, it's hard to see it get nerfed in the middle of a rotation, without any amendment to all the existing cards that were costed around it.

Will my last few years as a pseudo-Rogue main* survive this nerf? I'm not sure, to be honest. I think I quite fancy a change, so will be casting around for other stuff to play even more than normal now, I suspect.

In any case, I responded to the loss of my true love by retreating to an old flame (or two) of mine, and have been playing Murloc Shaman in both Standard and Wild. The Standard one seems pretty good, if less consistent than I'd like, but the Wild one... Well, I've just legend in Wild for the first time, so you work it out. :P

Oh, and there are buffs coming! Buffs! In Hearthstone?! What a time to be alive..!

* I'm always less of a Rogue main when they're (really) good anyway, to be honest, so for the last month or so, and the Tempo Rogue reign of terror, I spent half my time playing something else, in much the same way as I first moved away from Shaman when it was Shamanstone a few years back. I'm such a hipster... :P

11 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

The nerfs go live today, and I have to say that I think they're all pretty reasonable... apart from Preparation finally getting hit. I'd have rather it got HOF'ed than nerfed, but then it's been my favourite card for years, so I'm less than happy to see it hit; when a card has been defining the Spell cards gets as much as Prep does, it's hard to see it get nerfed in the middle of a rotation, without any amendment to all the existing cards that were costed around it.

Didn't know about these! Need to look up the Prep nerf as it is a big part of my Pirate Rogue deck, though I bet I can live without it if it's been banged too much.

Enjoying the solo stuff too, finished the second wing yesterday but have only got to the last fight so far on the first. Good that there is reason to keep coming back with the new unlocks etc, and that you get the reward for making it past the fifth boss.

EDIT : Right, well I use 3 of the 4 nerfed cards in my pirate rogue deck, just not the legendary. But I can't argue with the changes, and it'll make me have to think a bit more. So no more Prep into Raiding Party, for no mana, which was an OP combo. No complaints from me on this!

I didn't realise rogue was so popular at the moment, I've had a rogue pirate deck for ages. I seem to see a lot of Shaman and Druid at the moment

24 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

With the new SP campaign – will I get the Legendary if I unlock each chapter individually with gold, or is it only if you drop the £16 on it at once?

I gather than you will get it buy unlocking each wing with gold, you just get it earlier by buying the whole thing at once. I've used gold for the second, and will do the same for the rest

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

I gather than you will get it buy unlocking each wing with gold, you just get it earlier by buying the whole thing at once. I've used gold for the second, and will do the same for the rest

Nice one, ta. 

So for the 3 people that still pay attention to this thread, the expansions been announce, Saviors of Uldum.  If nothing else I think they’ve nailed the cinematic trailer.

As for the expansion, it follows the story of RoS with the league of explorers rising up to challenge the league of EVIL, with the 4 heroes in the trailer aligning themselves with the remaining 4 classes so that each class now has a story character associated with it (Elise for Druid, Reno is Mage for some reason, Finnley goes with Paladin leaving Brann to fly the flag for Hunter).

Not too much else revealed in terms of single player content.  New card keyword is reborn.  Minions with it will revive one time with one health when you kill them.  The example shown was a 3/2 Warrior minion with reborn and rush.  Basically you could play it, Rush it into a minion for 3 damage, and if it died you’d get a 3/1 to rush into something else.

The themed card type for the expansion is plagues (by themed I mean like schemes or spells tones - not a card type in of itself but ones that share a design for this set).  These are described as powerful spells that affect both players.  The example was a priest card called plague of death, which for 9 mana silences all minions then kills them.

Lastly quests are back.  Slight spin on them this time though it seems - the three shown so far all have the reward of changing your hero power, and activate as soon as the quest completes, so you don’t have to play anything.  Warlocks get one where if you draw 20 cards, your hero power is still pay 2 mana to draw a card but the card you draw now costs 0 mana. Shamans need to play 6 battlecries to have their hero power become pay 2 mana, your next battlecry triggers twice. Druids need to have 4 turns where they end the turn with unspent mana to have their choose 1 cards activate both options.

The Warlock one is obviously really powerful if you can make a deck that cycles through cards quickly and either cycles them back in or creates new cards.  Plot twist is the obvious pick here, in theory you can get through the quest quickly with that.  Still think tell require a fair bit of setup, so much that it won’t be that great.  The shaman one I’m not too hyped about just yet. It’s not quite as good as having perma Brann when you consider that you’re paying 2 mana for the extra battlecry without his 2/4 body there, I don’t think there are loads of battlecries worth building a deck around being able to get them off twice in one go.  The Druid one however could be a sleeper.  You don’t need to spend mana to use it, and plenty of the choose cards are playable outright, and become nuts when you get both. Wrath becomes a 2 mana deal 4 damage draw a card - that’s great.  Druid of the Claw has dropped from favour but is still playable and having a 4/6 taunt/charge for 5 is pretty sweet.  Then you have cards like mark of the Loa which is meh on its own, but becomes great when you get both effects.

Nice trailer! I'm still logging in and playing but it's more out of habit now than anything else, i do my quests each day and thats about it. I know its tough to avoid for the devs but I am a bit sick of seeing the same decks over and over again. Always nice when an expansion shakes things up though. I think my favourite deck at the moment is still my Pirate Rogue, even with the nerfs. The unpredictability that Blink Fox and Hench-Clan Burglar bring, along with the lackeys can keep things interesting. Same with my Mage and Power of Creation. 

Bomb Warrior can still burn in a special kind of hell though. I hate that deck so much. 

I'm still playing but mainly dicking about in wild as I'm so bored of standard, "did anyone order a bomb?" yes mate, I'd love a really boring inevitable control deck to play against. 

This is the thing that pisses me off most in hearthstone, inevitability, way back to when ramp druid would force of nature you to death in one turn, jades, freeze mage, maly druid, mechathun, bombs, inner fire priest, etc etc.

Just playing and knowing by turn 2 that you're 99% sure to lose no matter what you do.  

Standard seems very stone scissors paper and Dr.Boom's infinite rush mechs  needs to be shot into the sun. 

So while i'm like rank 14 in standard i'm a few wins away from dad legend with my horrible resurrection priest deck. 

I'd argue that the meta has evolved to mech hunter in the last month, bomb warriors are rarer now.

Rush druids can go to hell, mind.

These expansions always come around way too quickly.

I loved the idea of the Dalaran Heist single player mode as a way to spend gold on something that wasn't card packs. On the other hand, I didn't do much playing of them in the end as I'd keep losing and it took too long to start again. I may try to push through again before Uldum.

2 hours ago, NEG said:

I'd argue that the meta has evolved to mech hunter in the last month, bomb warriors are rarer now.

Rush druids can go to hell, mind.

Seeing a lot of those as well, I'm at rank 10. Boring as hell to play against but it is fun when you can chuck something in that throws them off. 

14 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

These expansions always come around way too quickly.

I loved the idea of the Dalaran Heist single player mode as a way to spend gold on something that wasn't card packs. On the other hand, I didn't do much playing of them in the end as I'd keep losing and it took too long to start again. I may try to push through again before Uldum.

I like the single player stuff, I've yet to finish the last run of the heist, might give it a go later

Is this game impenetrable to people getting in now? I played at launch, I knew my Ramp Druid from my Miracle Rogue back in the day but I've literally not played since the Naxx expansion. If I reinstalled am I just doomed to lose to people who have been buying cards for years? 

@Naysonymous

now is probably a good time to drop back in as they’re giving away lots of free stuff on the run up to the new expansion. 

Plus ranked now has 50 levels so they’ll start you at the bottom with the noobs and you can play in wild with your old cards. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Is this game impenetrable to people getting in now? I played at launch, I knew my Ramp Druid from my Miracle Rogue back in the day but I've literally not played since the Naxx expansion. If I reinstalled am I just doomed to lose to people who have been buying cards for years? 

You'll build up a decent set of cards soon enough. But I would also advise on crafting Whizzbang, he will always work for latest expansions I think

EDIT : The Tavern Brawl this week is great as well as it uses prebuilt decks and you see some of the new mechanics. Boom is a choice in there as well and makes the run ridiculously easy

Installed. It runs like arse on my phone but nice on my iPad. Just playing the single player at the moment though I’m surprised how much I remember. The game throws some ‘comeback’ battles at you if you’ve been away for a while (or so it seems) and I was pleased to see that it was setting up things like a turn 7  flamestrike or expecting me to ping my own characters to enrage them.  Will get into multiplayer in due course, I’ve only got 400 dust so Whizzbang will have to wait.  

Some more cards announced now, most notably all the League of Explorer characters......and we’ve got Highlander decks again.  Well, I say that, there hasn’t been anything shown except these 4 to support that in standard, and arguably these aren’t strong enough to warrant it just by themselves I dont think.  In a nice touch though, they all have the same stat line, except Finnley who must have been on the protein shakes and gained an extra attack.

Finnley is 2 mana and discovers an upgraded hero power when played - again, nice nod to his previous battlecry, but upgraded.

Elise is 5 mana and copies your hand.  Which is good and again thematic with her previous version giving you cards.  This should be better as you’re copying cards you already play and therefore should want, but does mean you need to have no more than 5 cards when you play her, and be able to dump one if that’s the case.

Renos battlecry is deal 10 damage split between enemy minions.  For 6 mana, that is pretty dang powerful, but again, can mage make a deck worth playing it.

Brann is 7 mana and summons King Krush.  Again, strong but i think if anything Hunter is the least viable highlander class at the moment.

They’ve also just announced a warlock card that sounds.....interesting.  3 mana 3/3, but if you can destroy a friendly lackey, you also summon a 5/5 demon.  You need the stars to align, but there will be times you have this on turn 4, maybe even 3 if you get luckier still, and that’s bonkers.  It’s also funny because there’s a massive argument going on on hearthpwn about what this “is”.  As in, is it a 4 mana 8/8?  A 3 mana 7/7 (because you lose the stats of the lackey)? And even more combinations still.

So now all the cards have been revealed there are some interesting ones in there, to the point I’m tempted to actually pre order as I think it could be potentially loads of fun.

As mentioned before, the 4 “good” hero cards that make up the league of Explorers need highlander decks to make them work, but the only support card is another legendary, a neutral one, which is 2 mana 3/2, with a battlecry of “if your deck has no duplicates, create a miracle card”.  Or something like that, I can’t even remember the card name (Zephyr of something?).  What that means is that youll discover a card that’s ideal for the situation you’re in.  Apparently they’ve worked a load on the AI for this, and some examples I’ve seen or heard from the streamers at a pre launch event;

- getting Harrison against a Warrior that’s just played that weapon that puts bombs in your deck

- getting Black Knight to get through a taunt for leathal

- getting sea giant when the board is packed enough to make it 1 mana.

There are other examples and apparently it’s pretty clever and will sometimes offer something that provides lethal but not in an obvious way.  Another example was that it’ll try and give you cards you can either play straight away, or to fill out your curve - like a wild growth if you have no turn 3 play and the board is clear.  Another example was being offered crazed alchemist if your opponent had a doomsayer, but only if you had mana to play it straight away.

Someones also found a potentially easy kill if you can keep a linecracker on board with at least 5 health as Druid, where you can then play Beeeeeees, which will hit it 4 times to make it a min 80 attack.  Of course getting the minion to stay on board will be harder than it sounds.

10 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

So now all the cards have been revealed there are some interesting ones in there, to the point I’m tempted to actually pre order as I think it could be potentially loads of fun.

As mentioned before, the 4 “good” hero cards that make up the league of Explorers need highlander decks to make them work, but the only support card is another legendary, a neutral one, which is 2 mana 3/2, with a battlecry of “if your deck has no duplicates, create a miracle card”.  Or something like that, I can’t even remember the card name (Zephyr of something?).  What that means is that youll discover a card that’s ideal for the situation you’re in.  Apparently they’ve worked a load on the AI for this, and some examples I’ve seen or heard from the streamers at a pre launch event;

- getting Harrison against a Warrior that’s just played that weapon that puts bombs in your deck

- getting Black Knight to get through a taunt for leathal

- getting sea giant when the board is packed enough to make it 1 mana.

There are other examples and apparently it’s pretty clever and will sometimes offer something that provides lethal but not in an obvious way.  Another example was that it’ll try and give you cards you can either play straight away, or to fill out your curve - like a wild growth if you have no turn 3 play and the board is clear.  Another example was being offered crazed alchemist if your opponent had a doomsayer, but only if you had mana to play it straight away.

Is this the blue shell of Hearthstone, then?

So i preordered like a sucker, and to be honest did ridiculously well with what I got. Out of the 50 packs I got 5 legendaries, including 1 golden one, making it 7 legendaries with the 2 bonus ones. The login freebie was the Shaman quest which appears to be the strongest quest by a bit and was one I wanted. The golden legendary i got for preordering was Siamat, which I wasn’t super hoping for, but a lot of people are suggesting this may be this expansions Zilliax. The 5 I got from the packs were both priest ones (which were the only ones I’m a bit meh about), the shaman minions which looks good, the rogue minion, which was also golden and I wanted to try and make a death rattle deck with, and Zephrs, which I really wanted. So I got a good amount of cards to put towards decks i wanted to play.

Crafted dinotamer Brann and I’m playing a singleton hunter secret deck that’s been a load of fun. Also crafted the rogue quest as I really enjoy thief rogue and that’s been good so far. My death rattle deck needs tweaking but it’s fun. The shaman battlecry deck is the one I’ve played least but seems powerful.

First impressions are good at least. Just need to wait till the meta settles and hope there’s not an annoyingly oppressive deck that ends up ruining everything 

I opened 40 packs with gold and bagged 4 legendaries, so will see what I can build with that. Hopefully it all shakes things up a bit and we have some more fun decks to play with. Need to revisit all of mine as the only really viable one I had was pirate rogue, and I'm not sure thats had any help.

70 packs - 5 legends including the freebie quest.  Not great, as usual. 

Got priest legend and quest so have cobbled something together to play the brawl and am 3-1 so far. 

Quest rogue is a load of fun.  I've always enjoyed the thief rogue play style (and still miss the DK which was great for it) and this works really well - the quest is pretty easy to complete and the reward really helps you get back any tempo you've lost through playing sub par cards to get cards or if you get some bad random cards generated.  It helps it feel a bit more consistent than some of the old versions which could swing a lot depending on your luck.

Quest druid feels super busted when you complete it, to the point you may as well mulligan for hidden oasis and just make sure you complete the quest because that alone almost helps you recover. And once you have that value from the quest it soon starts to add up and you end up with stupid boards.  Its fun, but once you hit the quest it almost feels like its over - it feels like ive won easily from that point each game.  Maybe ive just been lucky.

Despite being a bit underwhelmed

by this expac - or what I got from it I’ve somehow managed to be rank 5 in both wild and standard. Which is amazingly good for me. 

That armour druid deck can fuck off though, and it can take murloc paladin with it. 

Quest Druid is a dick of a deck. Way too easy to steamroll people and you can trigger it turn 4 with the coin. Requires zero skill or strategy to win.

I did just play one with my quest Rogue though that was hilarious. He got the coin, turn 4 quest, all his ludicrous choose OP cards came out but my rogue just got some belting cards on the steals etc. Still, with me on 4 health and him on 18, me with no cards to draw, he passed the turn to me with a smug 'Well played'. Not the first time they had done that. Managed to remove his taunt minion, damage with a lackey and then get him to 6 with my minions. Out came Leeroy, and he conceded so fast the animation didn't even finish. Was horribly satisfying.

Not playing this much anymore, I'm more looking forward to the single player than anything else.

• Upvote 2

Just played the first wing of the new single player stuff and it was fairly easy going until the final boss with the passive treasure I picked up to start with.

Have to say though that without that, and one other card I picked up in the Tavern half way through I could see myself trying that boss once and never coming back. No spoilers as people will want to do it blind like I did but the 8th boss took me over an hour, and if it had gone one more turn, I would have lost from the fatigue loss. Good feeling of satisfaction when I did it though