IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

Also, the nerfs are pretty bad.

Mana Wyrm now costs 2 mana. This makes it shit (why not just take away 1 hp?!), and destroys Tempo Mage, which in principle I don't really mind, but it does take away one of Quest Rogue's worst matchups even as...

Giggling Inventor now costs 7 mana. Again, why not switch up the card instead of just murdering it? I get that it just being 6 mana would've made all Even archetypes a nightmare, but still.

Aviana is now 10 mana. Well, yeah. Sort of a shame, but had been rendered necessary.

But they've also left alone the entire Druid shell that makes the game boring in Standard*, and probably made pretty much the only decent anti-Spreading Plague tech (Mossy Horror) less appealing by murdering the only other decent target for it (unless you're playing a Deathrattle deck).

I continue to have pretty much given up.

* - Nourish, Wild Growth, Swipe, Branching Paths and Spellstone are all in 90+% of all Druid decks, but have all been left alone. So has Spreading Plague, which continues to be possibly the worst card they've ever printed.

Mana Wyrm has been undercosted forever though. Its presence at 1 mana means that every environment automatically has a tempo mage archetype that drops Wyrm supported by cheap burn and secrets.

Giggling Inventor was a stupid card to have made in the first place, as it's actually as good a token/aggro enabler as it is a defence. And at least Druid is also losing it, which might be why they're not doing anything else about the class right now (Also, if GI is not played it will make Plague less useful too).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm having a go at MTG: Arena - anyone else tried this? It's quite interesting seeing a dry physical game adapted into a reasonably slick online experience, rather than something built from the ground up to work on a screen like HS. Also, I have to read, like, a whole essay on each card? :coffee:

I dunno about Magic being dry. It’s super tactile, and by the end I think I kept buying packs just to huff the ink smell they release when opened.

I enjoyed Arena for a bit but lost interest as soon as it stopped giving a deck out each day. A new game always feels like starting off from Everest Base Camp. Reckon if I was making one I’d be crazy generous to beginners and then bleed them like a stuck pig when they’re fully hooked into the grind lifestyle.

I've been enjoying MTGA earning the newbie decks but I imagine trying to move on from the pleb deck matchmaking into the world of actual real decks would be a nightmare. I have some gems from the welcome bundle thing to throw away on some drafting at some point. Not entirely sure about the wild card system and what will happen when stuff rotates out.

Anyway, as a very casual Hearthstone player the only working deck I had was Tempo Mage (yes, I know) so currently dusting anything and everything to netdeck something else.

New expansion announced -Rastakhans Rumble, which comes from the troll storyline in the new WoW expansion.  To tie into the theme, each class gets a Loa card, which are basically spirit gods the trolls worship in the lore, but will be legendary cards in game, and a spirit card which will be a minion that gets stealth for a turn.  The example of the spirit they gave was the rogue one, where it’s a 0/3 that makes all your minions battlecries and combo effects trigger twice while it’s in play.  They also showed the Paladin loa card, Shirvallah the Tiger, which is a 7/5 with rush, lifesteal and divine shield, but costs a whopping 25 mana to play.  This gets reduced for every mana you spend on spells, so potentially it could become 0 mana.  Currently though I think you’d struggle get that many spells off to make it cheap enough.

The new mechanic revealed is called overkill.  Basically if the card that has it deals more damage than what it’s attacking health, it’ll trigger the effect listed.  The example shown was a 4/4 warrior weapon for 6 mana that had the overkill effect of allowing you to attack again, meaning you could clear out 4 3 health minions in the same turn if you wanted to.

They also announced a single player mode that sounded like the monster hunt mode where you play as a troll god in a kind of arena fight.

On 02/11/2018 at 18:04, Padster said:

OK, I'm having a go at MTG: Arena - anyone else tried this? It's quite interesting seeing a dry physical game adapted into a reasonably slick online experience, rather than something built from the ground up to work on a screen like HS. Also, I have to read, like, a whole essay on each card? :coffee:

I’m playing it more than hearthstone at the mo. It’s alwaysbeen the superior game and I love that you keep the cards you draft. Feels nice and slick but it’s clearly ripped off heathstones presentation.

6 hours ago, NEG said:

Is it me, or is the pre-order price a lot worse than last time? 50 bucks for 50 packs. :unsure:

edit: 45 rather, which okay, sounds around the ball park I suppose..

Think it’s around the same value wise as boomsday was, though I think there was a higher tier package then.  It’s definitely creeped up a significant amount though, though I guess they’d argue that they do solo content like dungeon run for free, whereas previously they bundled that as adventures.  Though my counter argument to that would be that adventures used to reward you a decent amount of cards too....

From extra bits revealed now, it seems like they’re going to have the new class cards mostly based around a theme for each class, which isnt unusual, but it seems like both legendaries for each class and the spirit cards will be designed to have synergy, so it may be slightly more prominent than before.  They’ve even said that when you log in after the release you’ll get a bunch of packs free, but also get a random Legendary Loa, as well as the spirit cards associated with that Loa.  They’ve not released all three types for one class yet, but they’ve given descriptions of each class champion, which seem to hint at what they could be.  For example, it sounds like we’re going to get dragon warrior and pirate rogues this expansion, warlock may be expanding the hand buffing thing, priest sound like its going to have more ressing minions .

Mage gets an interesting legendary, Malacrass, who’s battlecry gives you a copy of your opening hand.  Not sure if it’ll actually be any good, but the design is interesting, to me at least.  Makes your mulligan potentially more interesting, with the possibility of keeping cards you normally wouldnt and sacrificing your start to get stronger cards later. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we’re starting to get an idea of the themes for each class.  Its seems they’re going in quite heavy with some of the themes and synergies so far.  The ones that seem clear so far;

Warrior is going to be dragon themed (the legendary champion copies the dragons in your hand)

Warlock gets more discard stuff as well as what looks like some handbuff synergies - both legendaries benefit if you hit them with buffs as they copy themselves in different ways.  It looks like they’re trying to make the discard mechanic a bit more controllable and not so punishable by rng by having cards that return discarded cards and cards that make the discards more predictable, like it being the lowest cost card in your hand.

Mage seems to be focussed around the hero power from what’s been revealed so far, and seems like it could be crazy powerful.  So far there’s a well statted 3 drop that draws a card when your hero power kills something, a 1 drop that gives your next hero power +2 damage, and the spirit card makes it so your hero power also damages the minions adjacent to the target.  The real crazy comes in the Loa card though - its a 7 mana 4/4.  So it better have some crazy powerful effect, right?  Well, if you deal 8 damage with your hero power before playing, it summons Ragnaros.  Yes, that Ragnaros that was deemed so powerful they removed it from standard.  And now you can get it for 1 mana less with a 4/4.  The obvious idea is that you play odd mage, so at most you hero power 4 times to activate it, which isnt bad.  Or you can play that 1 drop twice and hero power twice.  But there’s more potential than that - if you play non-odd mage you can play the spirit (which is 2 mana) card,  which in addition to the 1 drop is a 5 mana, deal 3 damage to 3 minions, combo that also comes with a 1/1 and guarantees activating it.  Plus, if you play non-odd, you can include brewmasters, bounce the Loa back, and summon Rag a few times.  Not to mention, if you put Jaina in the deck, when you play it, you’re also getting a 8 health heal from Rag,

They’ve also released what looks like a really good neautral legendary in Oondasta, a 9 mana 7/7 rush with overkill: summon a beast from your hand.  It’ll be stupidly easy to get the overkill effect, and means you’ll be able to cheese out some big stuff.  Hunter is the most obvious, but there are some other classes that’ll benefit, namely Paladin, who;ll be able to combo it to get their Loa card out without playing a silly amount of spells to get the discount down from 25 mana.  I can see that being strong enough to run in paladin and ignore stacking spells at all to try and get the Loa out as intended.

Rogue would appear to be Pirates, supported by the two-drop that's this set's Hench-clan Thug (a theoretically neutral card that is really a Rogue card in disguise), Sharkfin Fan, which is a two-mana 2/2 Pirate that summons another 1/1 Pirate every time you take a swing. I fully expect an aggro Pirate build or three to be tried (with Even and Odd versions of each), especially seeing as they've apparently printed card draw for (versions of) the deck too (a three-mana draw two Pirates that also draws a weapon if it's Combo-ed).

The Rogue Epic they've shown today (a seven-mana 5/7 that Discovers a 1-mana 1/1/ version of a Battlecry minion) being a peg-leg but not a Pirate seems a bit weird though. The legendary Loa (a five-mana 2/2 that swallows a (presumably random) minion in your deck, absorbs its stats, and then puts it in your hand when it dies) doesn't really work in an aggro deck either.

It'll be interesting to see what all these new cards do to Rogue in Wild too, bearing in mind the Pirate-heavy Odd deck running roughshod over the format, and the "Big" Deathrattle deck that is also pretty good (and good fun*) already.

* Yeah, I'm back already - I had a break, then a weekend of dog-sitting (of all things) made some phone gaming very convenient, so I've been playing (a bit less, mainly doing quests), often in Wild (a bit more). Looking forward to the expansion coming out in a couple of weeks too, as despite the break I've actually got even more gold saved up than usual, presumably because Boomsday had so few really good cards I didn't feel so compelled to keep getting packs for as long as usual.

Think I am done with this for a while. I used to play in the morning with a coffee and breakfast, new job means I am up and out quicker. Other times of the day, I find I don't want to use my time on this any more, I just find myself getting frustrated and irritated. Can't complain too much as I've been playing since the beta and bought only the Naxx expansion story stuff, not a penny spent since.

Think I'll skip an expansion and then come back, hopefully some of the more annoying decks will be history then.

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Think I am done with this for a while. I used to play in the morning with a coffee and breakfast, new job means I am up and out quicker. Other times of the day, I find I don't want to use my time on this any more, I just find myself getting frustrated and irritated. Can't complain too much as I've been playing since the beta and bought only the Naxx expansion story stuff, not a penny spent since.

Think I'll skip an expansion and then come back, hopefully some of the more annoying decks will be history then.

I’m a bit similar, although all my spare time is going on magic arena. Absolutely long it.

9 hours ago, strider said:

I’m a bit similar, although all my spare time is going on magic arena. Absolutely long it.

I'm hoping they make a Mac version of that at some point, but won't hold my breath. Used to play a lot of Magic Online, so am sure I would love this.

5 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I'm hoping they make a Mac version of that at some point, but won't hold my breath. Used to play a lot of Magic Online, so am sure I would love this.

They seem to be serious about getting players from hearthstone so I’d imagine it will happen.

there are a few issues but for me it’s always been the better game and the fact you can do a draft for about £4 and keep all your cards is excellent for me.

On 21/11/2018 at 13:19, JDubYes said:

Rogue would appear to be Pirates, supported by the two-drop that's this set's Hench-clan Thug (a theoretically neutral card that is really a Rogue card in disguise), Sharkfin Fan, which is a two-mana 2/2 Pirate that summons another 1/1 Pirate every time you take a swing. I fully expect an aggro Pirate build or three to be tried (with Even and Odd versions of each), especially seeing as they've apparently printed card draw for (versions of) the deck too (a three-mana draw two Pirates that also draws a weapon if it's Combo-ed).

The Rogue Epic they've shown today (a seven-mana 5/7 that Discovers a 1-mana 1/1/ version of a Battlecry minion) being a peg-leg but not a Pirate seems a bit weird though. The legendary Loa (a five-mana 2/2 that swallows a (presumably random) minion in your deck, absorbs its stats, and then puts it in your hand when it dies) doesn't really work in an aggro deck either.

It'll be interesting to see what all these new cards do to Rogue in Wild too, bearing in mind the Pirate-heavy Odd deck running roughshod over the format, and the "Big" Deathrattle deck that is also pretty good (and good fun*) already.

* Yeah, I'm back already - I had a break, then a weekend of dog-sitting (of all things) made some phone gaming very convenient, so I've been playing (a bit less, mainly doing quests), often in Wild (a bit more). Looking forward to the expansion coming out in a couple of weeks too, as despite the break I've actually got even more gold saved up than usual, presumably because Boomsday had so few really good cards I didn't feel so compelled to keep getting packs for as long as usual.

Still not much in the way of pirates for rogue though, the only class one so far is the legendary revealed yesterday.  Which I’m not sure is that great. An 8 mana 6/3, so super weak stats, that summons 3 pirates from your deck.  Is that good enough? I’m not sure.  For a start, you waste any battlecrys if it pulls any, so hitting something like captain greenscale is a bit bad.  Potential for a lot of value though, but you’ll want to miss certain cards that you’ll likely want to play in a pirate deck.  Hitting something like a southsea captain though is super good.

Theres some other potential though, and while I don’t think this is a combo you’re likely to see often, you could potentially, if you have the coin, on turn 9 play the spirit and that doubles battlecry effects, then on turn 10, play Hooktusk, which will then draw and play 6 pirates, giving you 7 total on board.  Then prep + coin + cannon barrage, which will give you an extra 21 damage.  I’m sure other people will figure out some decent combos with it, but consistency will be the issue.  Also, currently there isn’t enough pirate support (still) to make it a competitive deck, I think, more just a meme/fun deck. The one that has overkill:draw 2 cards would be super good to pull from Hooktusk, as the overkill effect is great, just without rush, you probably won’t see it happen seeing as it has only 3 health.  That isn’t enough to make it good, but we’ll see what else gets announced.

Ha ha they’ve just announced a legendary that could potentially see play just to troll druids.  It’s a 6 mana 5/5 that resets both players mana crystals to 5.  It does mean that your opponent actually goes with 6 mana on his next turn, so it’s “only” knocking them back 4 mana, but I can already see the tears from Druids who use up wild growths and nourishes to then have that advantage taken away.  It’s potentially got more uses too, as it effectively disrupts any deck that relies on big mana cards, making them wait longer to get them out. I could see it potentially being used in more aggro/tempo/zoo decks despite it not being the best card in terms of its own tempo, just because it means you can prevent something like Gul’dan or Jaina being played for a few more turns.

Theyve released the new Hero card as well, Zul’jin, which is a hunter hero - 10 mana gets you the normal 5 armour, changes your hero power to deal to damage to any target, and he has a battlecry of recasting any spells you have played this game with random targets.  Potentially very strong.  The hero power is decent, if not as strong as some, and as you’d likely build around spells, you’ll likely get 3-5 secrets, and a full board mixed with wolves and animal companions at a minimum.  That’s easily worth the 10 mana.  The problem is Deathstalker Rexxar, which is currently in pretty much every hunter deck and has so much value it’ll often be what wins you the game.  Zul’jin is a one shot burst of immense value, but Rexxar arguably provides the best long term value of any of the hero cards, and the longer the game goes, the more value you get.

The question will probably be is Zul’jin good enough to delay playing Rexxar till after him, or even if he’s strong enough to effectively just be a finisher and played after you’ve ground the game out a bit with Rexxar, because I can’t see him full on replacing him until he rotated out.

It’s come down to almost stone / scissors / paper at the moment. There hardy any close games that could go either way. 

You either get aggro’d to death by odd decks or zoolock or combo’d to death by Malygos Druid or Mechathun priest. And don’t get me started on that ducking secrets spell hunter deck. 

Barely any warriors or mages to be seen on ladder. Mages seem to mainly be playing a really, really boring freeze variant where the win condition seems to be their opponent dying of old age 

boomsday has has not been a good expac. I even crafted the new dr. boom. 

On 04/11/2018 at 01:11, George Clooney said:

Think it’s around the same value wise as boomsday was, though I think there was a higher tier package then.  It’s definitely creeped up a significant amount though, though I guess they’d argue that they do solo content like dungeon run for free, whereas previously they bundled that as adventures.  Though my counter argument to that would be that adventures used to reward you a decent amount of cards too....

A near month later, but I've realized why I'm so meh about the pre-order: there's no gauranteed golden legendary this time around. Boomsday offered 2 if you bought both pre-orders (the small pack and the large pack).

Seemed like a good business move, certainly worked on me. Hrm