rllmuk
Hexx

Hearthstone

Been enjoying the puzzle mode, but surprisingly enjoying Bomb Hunter even more.  I’m obviously playing fairly low ranks, but it’s doing well, and has managed some wins against some of the more highly ranked decks like Maly Druid.  This is the deck I’m using, though I’m sure there are more refined versions;

B84226FA-718C-4168-B3A0-8483FA053CC9.thumb.jpeg.6f2f0e766af8918c5b141769b3ce6ca6.jpeg

You can create load of bombs which are much easier to make useful than I thought they would be.  As well as the magnetic minions - which are all pretty great options to magnetise in this deck - you have your fireworks tech, fungalmancer, dire wolves and even the “rubbish” animal companion, which in this deck is actually the one you want.  Spider Bomb on a bomb and Fireworks Tech can do some really big swings by itself, and generally I’ve not had times where I’ve just had bombs sitting there doing nothing for ages.  If you need to as well you can Void Ripper to detonate the bombs straight away - playing it after Flark is an instant 8 damage to their face if you need it.

Zilliax seems like a good craft as well, as any deck where you play mechs he’s going to be really good in.

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Been enjoying the puzzle mode, but surprisingly enjoying Bomb Hunter even more.  I’m obviously playing fairly low ranks, but it’s doing well, and has managed some wins against some of the more highly ranked decks like Maly Druid.  This is the deck I’m using, though I’m sure there are more refined versions;

B84226FA-718C-4168-B3A0-8483FA053CC9.thumb.jpeg.6f2f0e766af8918c5b141769b3ce6ca6.jpeg

You can create load of bombs which are much easier to make useful than I thought they would be.  As well as the magnetic minions - which are all pretty great options to magnetise in this deck - you have your fireworks tech, fungalmancer, dire wolves and even the “rubbish” animal companion, which in this deck is actually the one you want.  Spider Bomb on a bomb and Fireworks Tech can do some really big swings by itself, and generally I’ve not had times where I’ve just had bombs sitting there doing nothing for ages.  If you need to as well you can Void Ripper to detonate the bombs straight away - playing it after Flark is an instant 8 damage to their face if you need it.

Zilliax seems like a good craft as well, as any deck where you play mechs he’s going to be really good in.

Zillax seems like a must have now I want to craft some different decks but am short on dust. About to head through my legendaries and see if there are some I never use from the last few expansions that I can get rid of. 

Zilliax is just good, full-stop. You can run him in decks where there's little or no synergy and he can still be used as removal/healing, so at the moment he's the only neutral legendary I can think of (bar Whizzbang) that I'd even consider recommending crafting. With that said, I can't actually think of any decks that just don't work without him either.

On 21/08/2018 at 21:55, shirubagan said:

Are the boss portraits in the new adventure mode borked for everyone else? Keeps trying to find a missing PSD and I have to keep hitting OK until it checks all the portraits. 

Yup. I play pretty much exclusively on mobile these days, and thought it was just broken, but thanks to this I now know I just need tap 'OK' about 12 times...

On the plus side, I got Whizzbang in one of my free packs! :D

(I still want to make a gold one, if I'm honest. :P )

Oh, and I've hit legend again. I'm pleased, of course, but am very aware that it's so much easier to do now, once you've done it (or gotten close) before, what with the way the season refresh system works now, and as long as you have the inclination. I kept playing interesting new decks to about rank 2, and in the end I just decided to ride Odd Rogue the rest of the way, so I could play without worrying about rank for the rest of the season.

Been trying a bunch of stuff since, and found a few other decks I quite like, while gravitating towards the same classes I normally do, which is to say I have about eight or nine decks made, and half of them are Rogue*, and then there's a bit of Paladin (various, depending on mood) and Hunter (Deathrattle or Spell) with control variants of Warrior and Warlock for if I fancy that kind of thing. Mecha'Thun has made an appearance, and probably will again, because the idea amused me, and I don't like Druids**, and Big Spell Mage is pretty decent, but the other classes don't do much for me at the moment.

I'll be honest as well, and say that I think the meta is actually pretty good at the moment - as with Witchwood, there's perhaps little great innovation, but all classes are being represented, there's not too much that feels overpowered (that doesn't have a counter), and there's a lot of variety on ladder, to the point where you can't tell what you'll be playing against upon queuing into pretty much any class at the moment. When the only card anyone's talking about nerfing is Giggling Inventor (which is a bit too good/prevalent, to be fair), you know the balance can't be too bad.

* I've got an Odd Rogue, a Deathrattle Rogue, a Quest Rogue (IT. WILL. NOT. DIE), and a semi-serious Tempo variant with Academic Espionage and Tess, for the shenanigans. Academic Espionage is an absolutely hilarious card, but is thankfully quite difficult.to put in a competitive deck, or it would potentially get way out of hand.

** they're not unbeatable, but when you lose it's normally for reasons that feel bad, because a few too many of their cards are a  bit too strong. I genuinely can't think of any card I've ever hated more than Spreading Plague, and then there's Ultimate Infestation, or the borderline impunity they can seem to get from their armour gain...

Yeah there’s talk about wanting nerfs to quest rogue again because some of the new cards make it easy to hit the quest and then it’s really hard for your opponent to catch up.  Giggling inventor is mostly just annoying but there are a few decks which it’s really good in, and this is one. Some people have started teching in Blood Knights purely because you’re likely to see a giggling inventor and be able to get loads of value off of it.

Im just glad there are several different hunter decks viable. Not sure why, but I’ve always gravitated towards Hunter, and now I can pick between spell hunter, deathrattle, mech, recruit or secret hunter and they all play differently and can pull out wins. I guess there’s Baku hunter too, but that usually isn’t that good now. Each of those decks can be mixed up a bit as well.  I don’t think there’s any class that’s been particularly suffering at the moment. 

You gravitate toward Hunter because the aim of the game is to get your opponent to zero, and Hunter has an ability that's purely based around exactly that.

Mecha'thun still pwning the universe! (except when most locks steal my cards :( )

OK, I'm back in for this expansion. However, even though I've been playing Whizbang, I'm still doing the Rank 20 to 19 yo-yo. Tell me it's me rather than the decks I'm given, but there seems to be a lot I'm coming up against that I couldn't even see a way through. I mean, who are all these people I'm coming up against with amazing decks filled with legendaries and they're still down at rank 20 this late in the season?

11 hours ago, James Lyon said:

OK, I'm back in for this expansion. However, even though I've been playing Whizbang, I'm still doing the Rank 20 to 19 yo-yo. Tell me it's me rather than the decks I'm given, but there seems to be a lot I'm coming up against that I couldn't even see a way through. I mean, who are all these people I'm coming up against with amazing decks filled with legendaries and they're still down at rank 20 this late in the season?

I often wonder that. I'd have thought by the end of the season most good players would have moved up the ranks.

Bomb hunter is brilliantly good fun to play. My deck is similar to @George Clooney (but I have no Rexxar, and I don't use Animal companion), but every game has loads of options for mayhem. Enjoying it

Actually, the lower ranks haven't been too bad today. I swear it wasn't like that yesterday.

I got Kangor's Endless Army as my freebie so built a mech Paladin deck off of that when I'm not running Whizbang. Need a Ziliax, though. I also got Flark's Boom-Zooka which I can't see myself getting much out of so will probably dust.

I hate Druids. Fuck off with your armour, taunts and Hadronox. Really, just go away. It's a boring deck that requires zero thought to play, and it annoys the hell out of me.

• Upvote 1

They're really pushing Druid as the class that can do really degenerate things if it survives into the late game, and Warrior as the class that can't do anything but die slowly.

On 30/08/2018 at 07:34, Vorgot said:

I hate Druids. Fuck off with your armour, taunts and Hadronox. Really, just go away. It's a boring deck that requires zero thought to play, and it annoys the hell out of me.

I think there’s definitely an issue with how much armour Druids can gain at the moment, which makes that 1 mana minion removal spell dead easy to make super powerful.  With how many cards they draw making ferocious howl super good, UI being super good before you consider the armour, and branching paths being so versatile, you can live for ages, so if you have powerful combos that can kill in a turn it’s becomes frustrating to play against.  

The tavern brawl is pretty easy with that deck I posted for bomb hunter.  They just get wrecked by the bombs, and with the activators and other deathrattles like spider bomb, unless they heal like crazy they cant do much.  I even played a Warlock that was using his to cheat out voidlords and cube them.  Didn’t matter, the bombs cared not for his taunts.  I’d consider adding leper gnomes and terrorscale stalkers, and probably take out Rexxar, and some of the non-magnetic/deathrattle mechs and the candleshots from the list I posted.

38 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

The tavern brawl is pretty easy with that deck I posted for bomb hunter.  They just get wrecked by the bombs, and with the activators and other deathrattles like spider bomb, unless they heal like crazy they cant do much.  I even played a Warlock that was using his to cheat out voidlords and cube them.  Didn’t matter, the bombs cared not for his taunts.  I’d consider adding leper gnomes and terrorscale stalkers, and probably take out Rexxar, and some of the non-magnetic/deathrattle mechs and the candleshots from the list I posted.

Yep, I aced the brawl with my bomb hunter. Most fun deck I have played in ages. I still make a lot of mistakes, but it's an engaging deck to play and when someone beats me it's usually because they have been smarter than me. Except for Druids. Really fun deck, it's all I'm playing with at the moment. It just leads to a lot of good cat and mouse games rather than the usual archetype v archetype rock/papaer/scissors nonsense.

When will I learn?

Just spent £45 on 40 packs and all I got was floop and enough dust to craft one more gold.

• Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I opened a legendary: Mia Whatserface, the Rogue Discover a deathratlle and gain it’s deathrattle. 

Any good?

Not great tbh.  There is a Deathrattle Rogue going around, but it’s only really worth it if you have both the necrium cards and carnivorous cubes.  And even then it’s not an auto include because the deathrattle can be inconsistent.  There are other rogue decks doing better like odd or quest rogue which it just doesn’t fit in very well. 

Cheers for the challenge @Mr Cochese, was running in and out making tea for the boys and made some daft moves. Will return the favour next time I get the quest. (Doubt I would have won anyway)

8th golden hero earned. Now I have no choice but to play Druid solidly until Christmas - any inspiration for a way to do this without hating myself?

Hearthstone Screenshot 09-08-18 17.30.04.png

• Upvote 2

This one?

Deck code: AAECAZICBpnTApziAv3qAqDzAuL4AvX8AgyEAYbBApvLAqDNAofOAp/OApHQAtvTAofoAt/7Ar/9Avr+AgA=

I can't guarantee a lack of self hatred, mind, but it looks fun.

Not an entirely original idea, but I found myself contemplating Odd Deathrattle Rogue as a viable deck earlier, so I went ahead and made this from scratch:

Spoiler

### Odd Experiment
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Acherus Veteran
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Mecharoo
# 2x (3) Devilsaur Egg
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) Necrium Blade
# 2x (3) Void Ripper
# 2x (5) Carnivorous Cube
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 2x (5) Giggling Inventor
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Myra's Unstable Element
# 2x (5) Necrium Vial
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

AAECAaIHBK8EnvgC5/oCoIADDYwCgcICq8IC68IClc4Ci+EC0eEC/eoCpu8C4vgC3voC7PwC9v0CAA==

# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Not sure anyone (less obsessed with Rogue) will have the cards/dust/inclination* to try it, but I’d be interested in any feedback from budding deck doctors, as the few games I’ve had with it so far have gone surprisingly well. In fact, having beaten an Odd Paladin and a Zoo Warlock already, when I was a bit worried about the early game, I’m starting to think it might just work...

There’s a few questionable choices in there still though - it’s top-heavy, and I’m asking a lot of the hero power when it comes to the early game (as one of the one-drops is an egg activator I haven’t been able to use as such yet, and should probably be Dire Mole/Crystalizer instead). I’m also asking a lot of Zilliax, in terms of helping me survive long enough if any early burst of aggression doesn’t carry me through, and while it’s flexible it doesn’t have a lot of card draw, so could just fizzle out...

It’s been bloody fun so far though, and seeing the Paladin concede because I had out two Zilliax (with another two in the Cube alongside them) was immensely amusing. The Warlock following suit because I’d gone from being on the back foot to having out two 5/5s and three 4/6s against his empty board was pretty satisfying too.

So, yeah, it might be a case of getting a little success so far because of blind luck, and sticking enough borderline-OP cards in a deck with a vague semblance of synergy will always win you a few games, but I’d like to see if this could actually work, seeing as most of the time I’m just tweaking netdecks (and arguably that’s what I’m doing here too, I suppose).

* I wouldn’t recommend crafting much of this to try it. Please, for Brode’s sake, don’t waste your dust on my idiotic experiment.

For the first time since around May 2014, I don’t have Hearthstone installed on any device.

Between the rock-paper-scissors nature of the meta*, the fact I’ve achieved most of what I can reasonably achieve in the game, Druids, and the way that all of these have combined to suck a lot of the fun out of the game for me, I’m out, at least for now.

There was an announcement that there’ll be an announcement (FFS) about balance next week, and of course there’ll be a new expansion before the end of the year (though I think we need rotation rather than more cards at this point), so there’s always a chance that those (or indeed habit) will draw me back in (I certainly don’t hate the game...yet), but it’s so hard to generate any enthusiasm for it all at the moment.

* this is an interesting read about the meta polarity issue - https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/meta-polarity-and-its-impact-on-hearthstone/

4 hours ago, JDubYes said:

For the first time since around May 2014, I don’t have Hearthstone installed on any device.

Between the rock-paper-scissors nature of the meta*, the fact I’ve achieved most of what I can reasonably achieve in the game, Druids, and the way that all of these have combined to suck a lot of the fun out of the game for me, I’m out, at least for now.

There was an announcement that there’ll be an announcement (FFS) about balance next week, and of course there’ll be a new expansion before the end of the year (though I think we need rotation rather than more cards at this point), so there’s always a chance that those (or indeed habit) will draw me back in (I certainly don’t hate the game...yet), but it’s so hard to generate any enthusiasm for it all at the moment.

* this is an interesting read about the meta polarity issue - https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/meta-polarity-and-its-impact-on-hearthstone/

Kind of feel the same way at this point. I'm playing just to do my quests each day and stack up some gold for the future, but have little push to spend time playing too much. I think it's partly down to fatigue over time as well, having played since the beta maybe I'm just getting a little bored of it. 

As a casual player, there's a lot of banging your head against the wall at some point. Even playing Whizbang, I'm not really getting above level 19 much. Getting gold is nice and all, but you know you really have to spend money to get good. The main mode needs something else to keep people who are never going to see Legend motivated. Maybe split it up into different tiers with their own kind of Legend, even just put some more achievements. I like it, but even I feel like I'm going through the motions just to clear quests sometimes.

Worth noting the “new” starter package is available, and you can buy it if you’ve already bought the first one.  This time it’s 10 Classic packs and one of the classic legendary dragons guaranteed for a fiver.  So that means Deathwing, Ysera, Alextrasza, Onyxia, Nozdormu or Malygos.  I already had Nozdormu and Ony so because I’m dumb thought sod it and I’ll risk it and hope I miss Deathwinv, which was the one I really didn’t want.  Thankfully I got Ysera, who’s always useful.