IGNORED

Hearthstone

Hexx

20 hours ago, JDubYes said:

Shudderwock is great if you like decks that make you pretty sure you’ve tilted your opponent when you win, but are a bit weak to certain (Aggro) decks.

It’s the Shaman version of Quest Rogue, basically.

i’m playing a mix of Elemental Mage and Malygos Druid in Standard, and Odd Rogue in Wild, and am up to rank 2 in both, despite mainly playing decks I find fun, and not actively trying that hard to tank up. Which is nice.

Also, while I am enjoying the diversity in the meta, I am hoping we move away from the ‘cheat out enormous bullshit as quickly/unfairly as possible’ archetypes sooner rather than later. Some days it’s like Blizzard learned nothing from Barnes, and deckbuilders learnt everything.

I’m a bit torn on the cheaty bullshit decks.  Recruit was always going to come with the risk that you could do some unfair stuff, and recruit hunter certainly has times when you can create an army of Witchwood Grizzlies from nothing.  It doesn’t help with that card that the battlecry that makes it fairer when you play it is ignored when you recruit it.  Similarly, taunt Druid can be infuriating to play against when they start pulling off the Hadronox shenanigans (and it looks like Boomtown will make it worse with that new Druid legendary) which just makes it annoying as you’re facing an uphill battle from that point on to get to your opponents face.  On the other hand, these decks can be very dependant on how well they draw and if they get the right cards at the right time, and can get screwed up by actually drawing the wrong cards.  I’ve played some versions of recruit hunter that I would get screwed over by drawing the beasts before Karthena making her pretty much pointless and reducing the power of the deck vastly.  Similarly, I’ve played taunt Druid and been utterly screwed over by not drawing Hadronox.

I dont think they’re that unfair at the moment - they certainly have unfair moments though which can be very unfun.

I do agree about the diversity of the meta at the moment though - it feels like there are plenty of decks around that you can do well with, and a lot of differing play styles.  I think this is the most I’ve enjoyed playing for ages.

Some more cards revealed today, the big one being the Warrior hero card, Dr Boom. 7 mana, the usual 5 armour and for the rest of the game, your mechs have Rush. Which itself is pretty powerful. The new hero power sounds pretty sweet too. It basically changes between 5 different ones, always switching to a new one so you don’t have the same twice, and it does it on your opponents turn so they know what they’re going to deal with on your next turn at least.  All 2 mana;

- summon 3 1/1 mechs

- deal 3 damage

- discover a Mech

- gain 7 armour

- deal 1 damage to all enemies

bear in mind those 3 1/1s are going to have Rush thanks to his passive.

Guessing Mech Warrior is gonna be powerful next expansion at this rate.

That card looks like immense fun, though I wonder about the balance/RNG aspects of thing.

The card that’s gotten my attention most so far though is Lab Recruiter, a 2-mana Rogue Common that has a 3/2 statline and the Battlecry ‘Shuffle 3 copies of a friendly minion into your deck’. Boring, right?

No. What they’ve done is stuck a free Gang Up onto a reasonably-costed minion, and potentially enabled shenanigans the likes of which we’ve really never seen, especially after the Rogue Death Knight’s been played.

Potentially negating the downside of the Rogue legendary spell? Check. One last popularisation of Quest Rogue? Quite possibly. Infinite minions (including on Quest Rogue) without fatigue? Check. Endlessly copying Faldorei Striders (for more spiders than Arachnophobia) or Vilespines (so your opponent never has a safe minion of any size)? Why not?

That’s only my immediate reactions (there’ll be more), and that’s just in Standard - I dread to think what someone’s going to do with the bloody thing in Wild...

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

What do you get for winning it? I only tried it  with a lamoid dragon priest to do a quest and run my phone battery down.

Nowt, except for the classic pack.

27 minutes ago, strider said:

I've saved around 1300 gold so far. I don't think I'm going to bother buying into this expansion like I did with Witchwood because it feels to expensive. There's some interesting cards coming out, though. So who know?

I'm on about 3000 at the moment that I'll probably use in Arena once the patch hits

On 23/07/2018 at 20:18, JDubYes said:

That card looks like immense fun, though I wonder about the balance/RNG aspects of thing.

The card that’s gotten my attention most so far though is Lab Recruiter, a 2-mana Rogue Common that has a 3/2 statline and the Battlecry ‘Shuffle 3 copies of a friendly minion into your deck’. Boring, right?

No. What they’ve done is stuck a free Gang Up onto a reasonably-costed minion, and potentially enabled shenanigans the likes of which we’ve really never seen, especially after the Rogue Death Knight’s been played.

Potentially negating the downside of the Rogue legendary spell? Check. One last popularisation of Quest Rogue? Quite possibly. Infinite minions (including on Quest Rogue) without fatigue? Check. Endlessly copying Faldorei Striders (for more spiders than Arachnophobia) or Vilespines (so your opponent never has a safe minion of any size)? Why not?

That’s only my immediate reactions (there’ll be more), and that’s just in Standard - I dread to think what someone’s going to do with the bloody thing in Wild...

Putting a spell on a stick can make all the difference. Historically, life gain effects were always a shit newbie trap in Magic: The Gathering until they started bunging them on minions for free as a sweetener. I agree that cloning Strider after the legendary wipes your deck would be pretty hilarious.

10 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Putting a spell on a stick can make all the difference. Historically, life gain effects were always a shit newbie trap in Magic: The Gathering until they started bunging them on minions for free as a sweetener. I agree that cloning Strider after the legendary wipes your deck would be pretty hilarious.

Looking at the cards that’ve come out since, it’s definitely supposed to be used with that Pogo rabbit-thing (the 2-mana 1/1 that gains +2/+2 for every prior copy of the card you’ve already played). The legendary spell is presumably Blizzard’s attempt to make it so Rogues actually get to try and get the combo(s) off, seeing as they have very few ways (that aren’t lifesteal weapons) of surviving long enough for them to not be utterly pointless otherwise, and the tempo losses for trying to set any of this stuff up will probably be fatal anyway. Rogue has definitely been given some fun cards this expansion (the spell that got shown today - 4 mana, shuffle ten cards from your opponents class into your deck, they all cost 1 mana - will make for some hilarious games), but I’m not sure yet what it’ll have that’s competitive (if anything), unless Odd Rogue stays strong.

(Speaking of which - after bouncing between the top three ranks in Standard and Wild for about a week, I decided to just go back to Odd Rogue in Standard the other day and promptly hit legend. Might try and go for the double now, but at least I’m safely at rank 5 in Standard to start next season, which means I can experiment to my heart’s content when the expansion drops without worrying about my rank at all. :) )

Completely forgot to mention the other potentially mental card that caught my eye the other day (the Priest 4/6 that makes Deathrattle minions cost 3 less, but kills them at the end of the turn), but since then it’s become increasingly apparent that there’s going to be a few potentially broken cards this expansion, and that the meta could well end up being roughly as greedy while still increasing the tempo. Certainly I’m starting to wonder if Warrior might be Shamaned back into relevance, but that kind of thing is always hard to judge this early.

On 27/07/2018 at 07:04, shirubagan said:

@JDubYes do you mind posting your Odd Rogue deck? Mine can’t even get me to 18. 

Standard:

Spoiler

### Odd Bunch
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (3) Blink Fox
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) Void Ripper
# 1x (5) Captain Greenskin
# 2x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

AAECAaIHBLICyAOvBJ74Ag2MAssD1AX1Bd0IgcIC68ICyssC0eECi+UC/eoCpu8Cx/gCAA==

# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

If you don’t have the legendaries/Void Rippers then Vicious Fledglings can win you games straight up if unanswered, Archerus Veteran can help you push, and a few people run a Spiteful Smith or two now for the decent body and weapon buff.

Wild 

Spoiler

### Wild Bunch
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 2x (3) Argent Horserider
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) Southsea Captain
# 1x (5) Captain Greenskin
# 2x (5) Dark Iron Skulker
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (7) Dr. Boom
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

AAEBAaIHBsgDrwT6Dp4QkbwCnvgCDIwCqAXUBd0I8xG6E5sVkrYCgcIC68IC0eECpu8CAA==

# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

More expensive, but several bits are still replaceable here too. I actually remember seeing a really interesting alternative build the other day, but now I can’t remember what was in it, annoyingly. I went on a run from rank 3 to rank 1 with it after I posted last night, so hopefully I can push on with it.

Odd Rogue is great at the moment though - fast enough to burst down Control decks if they don’t draw the nuts, and can win the tempo battle against other Aggro/Tempo decks thanks to the hero power. You do still have decisions to make - whether to swing, whether to flood the board, whether to make a 5/1 Argent Squire (if your opponent won’t be able to deal with it) or save your Cold Bloods, etc - despite what people say about aggressive decks (when actually Control seems more autopilot/reactionary some of the time anyway), but learn your matchups and strengths (and don’t play too many Odd Paladins) and it’s a good deck. Good luck. :)

It’s almost always folly to get too worked up about the potential strength of cards before an expansion drops, because you never know... but with that said, what the fuck? Because the thinking is that the class that already has (at least) four viable decks (in Standard alone) needs more help, presumably?

Speaking as a slightly bitter Rogue main that already hates playing against Druid (I’ve actually switched to Kingsbane in Wild, specifically to mess with Druids and Big Priests), I’m basically looking at Psychmelon as being Sprint, but costing three mana less, and targeting specific cards. Even factoring in Blizzard’s unwillingness to print decently-costed spells for Rogue while Prep exists, that’s mental, right? Then Florist can come in and either provide a huge tempo swing or enable something stupid like a surprisingly easy 30 damage combo with Malygos (two Swipes, two Moonfire).

Of course, this might be more manageable if the Druid was taking more punishment in the meantime, but with all the ramp, armour gain and Spreading Plague (which is now my all-time least favourite card in Hearthstone), they can probably actually pull all this crap off.

Oh well. At least I can play all my fun new meme-y Rogue cards until the meta settles, then pray one of them sticks, Odd Rogue gets some good stuff, or that a Kingsbane or Miracle build counters all the Druids.

Now we’v seen all the cards, I cant help but think that this expansion has some of the most powerful stuff we’ve seen in ages.  Certain cards just seem bonkers in terms of their potential,  and the magnetic ability has me thinking we’re going to see some broken shit that we havent thought of yet.  Maybe it wont turn out quite that way, maybe some things will be powerful but wont find a deck that can run it.  But you’ve got stuff like in Warrior where both the legendaries seem nuts (one of the pro players who considers themselves a warrior player mainly says that the Dr Boom card is good enough to be played in every deck no matter the theme or if it uses mechs because the hero power upgrade is that much better,  and The Boomship seems stupidly good in a class that is likely to have big stuff like the Lich King to play using it), as well as stuff like that new weapon that could do some really good trades.

Then there’s stuff that may work like Mech hunter, which I think will on its own, but there’s potential with the legendary minion and some of its new cards that you could do some massive plays.  Whether you can do them consistently for it to be good, but mechs are looking good enough to be able to carry around it.

Without the mech stuff, Shaman is getting some strong elemental synergy, Druid has cards which look like fitting into what is already one of the strongest decks at the moment, zoo lock gets a 1 mana draw 3 spell that is amazing value and likely to be run in every zoo deck.  Rogue is getting a tonne of combo-y stuff that might be good, but I think we’ll need to wait.  Paladin has some mech stuff that fits into an odd deck that may also make another strong deck stronger.

The only classes that dont seem to be getting bonkers stuff are mage and priest.  Well, arguably they are, but I dont think that they’ll actually be that good.  The mage legendary spell is certainly strong but you give up almost an entire turn to play it and unless you play draw cards, you’ll run out of steam.  If you play Aluneth then it, you’ll have a great setup from then on, but you’ve now wasted your turn 6 and 7 with no play on board.  The priest spell sounds great, but it works out 9 mana for at most 7 1/1 minions, which you cant control too much, can’t combo that well with them, and they die super easy.  So you need minions that do something in that time, and I cant think of many that make it that worth it.  I’m sure someone will, but I can’t imagine it being consistent enough to be worth it,

It does actually seem like it might be a load of fun, and have a range of decks that work.  I just wish the pre-orders didnt seem so expensive now, else I would be in,

Just now, And said:

10,000? Nice. I’ve 8,700 ish. Should net me 2 legends, whichever are worst. 

Is it this evening? 

I've about half that, but its more than I've had since other expansions and I'll use it on Arena runs.

Think it's at 7pm tonight UK time

Thwarted by god damn Ice Block on final Toki Dungeon Run boss. Infinite Toki had 1 health, then plays the bot which adds 1/1 for every spell, Waygate for extra turn, does 20 face damage (I had 19 health). PRICK. I had  a full board and spells galore but FUCKING BASTARD ICE BLOCK wanker. 

Cheating AI bullshit. Urgh.

Had something happen to me today that I've personally never seen before in several years of playing. Playing Rogue vs Mage, I have definite lethal on the board next turn, but I am on 2 health. Opponent is top decking, so he might pull a Fireball or Frostbolt and kill me. Or he might not and he is dead. He floats his unplayed card in front of me right until the last second of his rope just to see whether I'll randomly concede. It was (obviously) no use to him, but does that strategy ever work? Is anyone that daft?

43 minutes ago, Padster said:

Had something happen to me today that I've personally never seen before in several years of playing. Playing Rogue vs Mage, I have definite lethal on the board next turn, but I am on 2 health. Opponent is top decking, so he might pull a Fireball or Frostbolt and kill me. Or he might not and he is dead. He floats his unplayed card in front of me right until the last second of his rope just to see whether I'll randomly concede. It was (obviously) no use to him, but does that strategy ever work? Is anyone that daft?

Had this happen lots to me and it's annoying. Or people just waiting out to see if I disconnect and not taking what will be their last go. 

Sadly, some people are just tosspots.