Hexx

Hearthstone

Loving this as well, been rocking a Warlock deck someone suggested on the official forum. Love how tactile it is and opening new packs is always a thrill, esp when you hover over the cards to see if they are rares before turning them over, typical Blizzard polish.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm having to really restrain myself from buying more cards - its very satisfying revealing them, especially when you see that purple or (even better) pure white glow. Supposedly if you can do well in the arena, you can earn cards at a much better investment, though obviously you have to spend the time playing, and, y'know, be good. I'm doing alright. Had a bad start with a warlock deck, but have been pretty much 50/50 with a rogue and a druid deck so far.

If you want to check out some videos, Force gaming has some good ones http://www.youtube.com/user/ForceSC2strategy

They often tend to need expensive cards (one deck runs something stupid like 5 legendaries) but there are a few "budget" decks as well. His explanations of how they work are really good though.

Zam have some on their channel too, and similarly will sometimes do budget decks with the more expensive decks. The guy doing them tends to just run through the cards and why he's included them, as well as any major combos the deck is built around. It's not quite as useful as Force, who will usually put 2 videos up for each deck, one explaining it with an example game, the other with several games to show how it works in different situations.

Finally got a key and started playing last night. Stopped playing about 2 minutes ago as my Hunter hit 20.

Oh dear.

Edit: Fuck it. I'll be better off pushing through and just getting an early night tonight. Back to it!

Started this yesterday, and I'm currently flailing my way through the practise mode. Rogue and Priest are proving to be a pain in particular. It's incredibly addictive though, and really slick as expected.

Golden Arcane Missiles at 32

I...where's my life gone? I hadn't even finished Pokemon yet!

Edit: Insert joke about it taking longer to hit 60 here then it does in WoW currently.

Got my key over the weekend and I’ve got to say its an excellent game. Being an avid card game player I've got to say Blizzard have found a nice combination of simplicity and depth with this. It'll be easy for new players to pick up but also I'm sure there will be a lot of interesting deck builds and strategies.

I found some of the fundamental rules of MTG hold true here as well. For example a lot of people are very quick to use instant damage spells against players rather than saving them for nasty creatures later in the game, which I also found is an easy mistake people first make in MTG.

From the limited amount of deck building I’ve done so far it also looks like getting the mana curve of your deck right is vitally important as well. The fact that each player gets 1 mana every turn makes the deck building quite different to most games. When deck building you don’t have to factor in always making sure you have enough resource cards like Land in MTG or Credits in Netrunner. You're concentrating purely on getting the early/mid/late game balance of your deck right from 1-3 mana, 4-6 and 6+.

Card wise so far I do like the spells that are "Secret", it's nice and satisfying to play a secret spell and watching it trigger and surprise your opponent. I'm not sure if there are any yet but I'd like to see some hand destruction cards in the game as well.

Now clearly I've only seen a small portion of what the game has to offer but I’ve definitely been convinced by what I've seen so far. The rules and mechanics are streamlined and accessible but not so much so that the game is boring. Hopefully I'll get some more playtime this week and come back with some more ramblings

Golden Arcane Missiles at 34.

Secrets very much remind me of Yu-Gi-Oh. YOU'VE REVEALED MY TRAP CARD!

Had some fantastic games, sometimes killing the opponent because they've simply run out of cards and took the final damage that way, hoho.

I do have to wonder how the game would have been if it had opted for the more traditional 60 card deck.

Have been loving this, have only spent £4 so far on cards, the rate at which you get gold is pretty good I feel as long as you have some patience.

Getting rather fucked off now. I don't know if "Play" is based on your overall level, rather than your current character level, but this evening has been a fucking joke.

Doesn't help that I've played people pulling legendary after legendary out of their backside. The Pay2Win nature has never been more apparent.

Are you playing ranked or unranked?

How dare you. What kind of idiot do you take me for. Don't you think, an otherwise intelligent individual would have thought of that.

I'm insulted and leaving before you can ask further questions. insult me further

The games problem, excellent as it is, is simplicity. About 75% of a given match is based on card draw, causing a flip of the coin syndrome. The rest strategy.

They can make it a bit more varied by having more cards at the start, or having 3 instead of 2 of any given card in a deck (and increasing the deck to perhaps 40 or 50 by doing so).

Not trying to be whiney, but the start of most matches is like this:

You draw semi-good or best cards, so does your opponent. Winner based on number of taunts and very slightly class (eg: priests healing themselves)

You draw fuck all at the start, your opponent does, you eventually lose.

You draw great, opponent draws fuck all.

Getting used to destroying people when they have 10 things on the board by simply Pyroblast'ing them directly. Hoho

I could complain about amount of deck variation too. Besides my main deck I've made a spell deck. What other deck could I make? Erm...I mean they could be themed (lots of taunters, or lots of 2/3 cost cards) but the stuff that would work best consistently? (until I can build the mage legendary with dust on the next of never?) Probably the decks I already have. Had a 6 match streak this morning, Silver 1 now.

Golden Mirror Image at 36

Got a nice surprise when the game told me I got a 100 wins = 400g (or was it 300?)

Continuing to tweak the deck, I don't think I actually need the mage legendary due to the fact of its high cost. By the time the game gets around to it I may have already used a lot of my spells.

Edit: I'll write my deck down in a bit.

Main deck:

(1) Arcane Missiles x 2

(1) Mirror Image x 1

(1) Secretkeeper x 1

(1) Young Priestess x 1

(2) Doomsayer x 1

(2) Knife Juggler x 1

(2) Sorcerer's Apprentice x 1

(2) Sunfury Protector x 1

(3) Counterspell x 1

(3) Ice Barrier x 1

(3) Ice Block x 1

(3) Spellbender x 1

(3) Vaporize x 1

(3) Questing Adventurer x 1

(3) Wolfrider x 1

(4) Fireball x 1

(4) Polymorth x 2

(4) Defender of Argus x 1

(4) Ethereal Arcanist x 1

(5) Booty Bay Bodygaurd x 1

(5) Gadgetzan Auctioneer x 1

(6) Hogger x 1

(6) Priestess of Elune x 1

(6) Sunwalker x 1

(7) Flamestrike x 2

( 8 ) Pyroblast x 1

(10) Sea Giant x 1

Main weakness is no draw more card cards unless auctioneer gets lucky, but it's usually been handling fine.

I wouldn't say it's pay 2 win any more then golf or tennis is pay 2 win. Or any other card game in existence.

It has a generally okay time investment return in rewarding more card packs (could be slightly better) but the fairly random nature of the game actually prevents a billion dollar deck from winning every time, I'd say. (as any card game should be) My complaint was that it feels a little too predictable at the start of a game as to where a match might go. Could be just a mage thing because I've made some great comebacks with the warrior and warlock this morning.

Slightly annoying that the dailies force you to try the other classes but honestly can't blame Blizzard for incentivising you to do so.

Hate how backwards they are on this issue, however: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10259565877 There simply is no reason for Harthstone to work like that in this day and age.