Hexx

Hearthstone

So what do we think of the hall of fame? Glad to see the back of the odd/even mechanic?

I have crafted all the ones moving that I don’t have for the free dust and should get a total refund of about 9k dust. 

I think it's probably the right choice; we've seen with the nerfs since Genn and Baku came into the game (with Equality having to be increased by two mana so it didn't make Odd Paladin stronger, or Giggling Inventor being raised by two mana so it couldn't be included in Even decks), they really actually were limiting design space, not to mention making everyone's life difficult/boring. When those two continued to shape the meta for the next year, even with no additional support (in the direct, 'if your deck has only Odd/Even cards...' sense), I can't imagine it would've been well received.

In any case, with Genn, Baku, Carnivorous Cube, and all of the Death Knights and Quests rotating out, the next expansion should actually look pretty different for a change, though I'm not confident Blizzard won't immediately introduce something else that has to be built around and/or is completely busted and warps the meta for the next two years anyway - they need something interesting/broken to try and raise the hype levels for new expansions, and trying to do that and keep the game balanced seems like a thankless task.

Why are they sending Doomguard to HoF? Baku going fucks my main decks over also. Still, I have 3,500G and over 9,000 dust saved up. +1,600 for Baku... I should be able to craft a decent deck. 

On the one hand I’ll kind of miss the deckbuilding aspect of the odd/even theme, but I think having something like that (especially tied to a start of game effect making it super powerful and consistent) as a limited time thing is fine.  I stifles future design choices too much to really be worth keeping, but for an expansion set or so, its fine.  Having the odd/even consideration when designing sets for another year would likely just end up with them having to drop stuff so as not to create OP Baku/Genn decks and limited what they could do a load.

The doomguard thing is supposedly because they dont want warlocks to be able to deal on burst face damage to the point they can with doomguard.  Which is one thing, but the other was that for a charge minion it was really well statted and you could often play it without the drawback being that severe.  It never felt oppresive to the point where it felt like an issue, at least to me, but I can see the logic in removing it.

Right, I am focused now. Rank 5 reached with nearly 4 weeks to go, time to hit Legendary before everything cycles out. Rank 4 my best so far, got to be able to beat that this time...

Edit: winrate 58% and rising...

• Upvote 1

On 03/03/2019 at 19:47, shirubagan said:

If I craft Greymane I get the dust back and I get to keep the card, right?

Yes, and if you have the dust you may as well craft anything getting HoF'd that you don't already have as they're effectively free

• Upvote 1

What about if I craft golden baku now? Will I get 1600 + 3200 dust for having both versions of baku?

No. Found this on Metabomb. 

Hall of Fame dust refunds

When cards are moved into the Hall of Fame, Blizzard provides a pretty generous level of compensation for the retired cards in the form of crafting dust - and you even get to keep the cards too!

Here's how the whole process works:

Legendary cards

If you own both the Golden and the non-Golden version of the Legendary card in question, you will only receive compensation for the Golden version. Sorry folks, no doubling up is possible here.

Non-Legendary cards

If you own one Golden copy of a card and any number of non-Golden versions of it, you will receive dust equal to the value of the Golden version as well as one non-Golden edition.

If you own two Golden copies and any number of non-Golden versions, you will receive dust equal to the value of two Golden copies.

https://www.metabomb.net/hearthstone/gameplay-guides/hearthstone-hall-of-fame-guide-card-list-dust-refunds-and-more-2

• Upvote 2

New expansion announced - Rise of Shadows.  Releases April, will start a story that continues on through this standard year involving the league of EVIL, represented by certain classes, attempting to take over Dalaran.  Some things announced

- no new hero cards. With them rotating out they just want to leave it with the current ones for now.

- new keyword, Twinspell.  When you play the spell, you’ll get a copy of it without the keyword, effectively meaning you can play it twice, in effect meaning you can have four copies of it.  Only on spells it seems.

- some old mechanics and effects being bought back in or paid tribute to.  The ones shown so far are “forbidden” cards where you used all your mana for an effect (in this example, spend all your mana and destroy a minion with up to the attack of the mana spent - priest card), and the golden monkey effect has been put on a class legendary - Rafaam, a Warlock minion which just gives the effect without needing to jump through the hoops you had to to get the monkey.

- lackeys will be cards that can be generated from other cards, and are currently 1/1 minions with 1 mana and an effect, like Battlecry:deal 2 damage.  The pool of lackeys will increase over this standard year.

- scheme cards are spells that will have an effect that upgrades each turn its in your hand.  The example is a shaman spell that’s 5 mana and deals 1 damage to all minions, but the longer it’s in your hand, it gains an extra damage each turn.

Other noteworthy card revealed was the Mage legendary - Kalecgos, a 10 mana 4/12 dragon that makes the first spell you play each turn cost 0 mana, and has battlecry:discover a spell. Seems good enough to whack in most decks, the effect means you can play the spell you discover straight away, which can be super good if you get something like a pyroblast or a flamestrike. Or you can hold on to an expensive spell to ensure you get value from him regardless of what you discover.

What’s the best way to learn to play this game casually? I’ve played it on and off but never got any characters above level 10, so I don’t really know what I’m doing. 

Its a tricky one, because as much as the game is designed as a casual game that is supposed to be easy to dive into, there’s so much stuff now that it can be hard for a new player, especially as most players now copy their decks from websites and even at low ranks you’ll sometimes get someone using decks with multiple legendaries.  Plus what you can play is very much defined by your cards, and as a casual you’ll likely have a very limited amount.  It’s not like it used to be on release as well where you could often swap out cards reasonably well, with a few exceptions.  Now a lot of decks are based around synergies that become much weaker if you’re missing cards.  This puts a lot of the “fun” decks or powerful ones out of reach.  For example, my current fave deck to play (fave being as in fun, not wins the most, though it does alright) is a rogue deck based around stealing cards from your opponent.  The problem being it has 4 (if I remember right) legendaries, 2 of which are really quite important, and at least 4 epic cards that are more or less essential.  Thats a big barrier for a new player.

There are cheaper decks that are more accessible that you should have a look at trying, then just practicing with.  If you go on hearthpwn.net and then have a browse of popular decks there, they’ll have the crafting cost listed so you can see if its something that you could possibly build.  Also at least pick a class and get it to 10, as you’ll be missing spells that you get from doing that.  

When you say you don’t know what you’re doing though, how much do you mean?  As in, you know the basic rules, but dont know stuff like when its best to hit your opponent or hit their minions, or you aren’t sure what keywords on cards are and such?

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Its a tricky one, because as much as the game is designed as a casual game that is supposed to be easy to dive into, there’s so much stuff now that it can be hard for a new player, especially as most players now copy their decks from websites and even at low ranks you’ll sometimes get someone using decks with multiple legendaries.  Plus what you can play is very much defined by your cards, and as a casual you’ll likely have a very limited amount.  It’s not like it used to be on release as well where you could often swap out cards reasonably well, with a few exceptions.  Now a lot of decks are based around synergies that become much weaker if you’re missing cards.  This puts a lot of the “fun” decks or powerful ones out of reach.  For example, my current fave deck to play (fave being as in fun, not wins the most, though it does alright) is a rogue deck based around stealing cards from your opponent.  The problem being it has 4 (if I remember right) legendaries, 2 of which are really quite important, and at least 4 epic cards that are more or less essential.  Thats a big barrier for a new player.

There are cheaper decks that are more accessible that you should have a look at trying, then just practicing with.  If you go on hearthpwn.net and then have a browse of popular decks there, they’ll have the crafting cost listed so you can see if its something that you could possibly build.  Also at least pick a class and get it to 10, as you’ll be missing spells that you get from doing that.  

When you say you don’t know what you’re doing though, how much do you mean?  As in, you know the basic rules, but dont know stuff like when its best to hit your opponent or hit their minions, or you aren’t sure what keywords on cards are and such?

Thanks for this. A lot of not knowing what I’m doing comes down to strategy I guess, like you say whether to hit the opponent or their minions, whether to fill the board with cards or whatever. Deck building seems fairly inaccessible, although it’s possible to copy decks from websites, without experience, that seems to be a blind move without understanding the reasons for choosing those cards. Is it even worth spending money on card packs, or is FTP viable? Obviously it’s a proper game, so I’m not averse to spending a sensible amount on it as long as it’s not throwing it down the drain. 

Prioritise crafting Whizbang, as that effectively gets you 27 well-constructed Standard decks for free, and refreshes with each expansion. I've just realised today how much fun he is to use when new stuff comes out. 

Personally I don't spend any real money any more, but if you want to invest a bit then the pre-expansion deal is probably your best bet. 

Out of interest, do you mainly play on PC? 

21 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Thanks for this. A lot of not knowing what I’m doing comes down to strategy I guess, like you say whether to hit the opponent or their minions, whether to fill the board with cards or whatever. Deck building seems fairly inaccessible, although it’s possible to copy decks from websites, without experience, that seems to be a blind move without understanding the reasons for choosing those cards. Is it even worth spending money on card packs, or is FTP viable? Obviously it’s a proper game, so I’m not averse to spending a sensible amount on it as long as it’s not throwing it down the drain. 

As @Padster says, try to craft Whizbang, he is great fun to play. I've never paid for the game, I tend to rack up my gold with the daily quests and then buy a bunch of packs on release of a new expansion. Once cards rotate out of standard as well, I dust them as I don't play wild.

The changes they have made to Create a New Deck where you get it to complete it for you with is an improvement as well if you have not so many cards.