Hexx

Hearthstone

So what do we think of the hall of fame? Glad to see the back of the odd/even mechanic?

I have crafted all the ones moving that I don’t have for the free dust and should get a total refund of about 9k dust. 

I think it's probably the right choice; we've seen with the nerfs since Genn and Baku came into the game (with Equality having to be increased by two mana so it didn't make Odd Paladin stronger, or Giggling Inventor being raised by two mana so it couldn't be included in Even decks), they really actually were limiting design space, not to mention making everyone's life difficult/boring. When those two continued to shape the meta for the next year, even with no additional support (in the direct, 'if your deck has only Odd/Even cards...' sense), I can't imagine it would've been well received.

In any case, with Genn, Baku, Carnivorous Cube, and all of the Death Knights and Quests rotating out, the next expansion should actually look pretty different for a change, though I'm not confident Blizzard won't immediately introduce something else that has to be built around and/or is completely busted and warps the meta for the next two years anyway - they need something interesting/broken to try and raise the hype levels for new expansions, and trying to do that and keep the game balanced seems like a thankless task.

Why are they sending Doomguard to HoF? Baku going fucks my main decks over also. Still, I have 3,500G and over 9,000 dust saved up. +1,600 for Baku... I should be able to craft a decent deck. 

On the one hand I’ll kind of miss the deckbuilding aspect of the odd/even theme, but I think having something like that (especially tied to a start of game effect making it super powerful and consistent) as a limited time thing is fine.  I stifles future design choices too much to really be worth keeping, but for an expansion set or so, its fine.  Having the odd/even consideration when designing sets for another year would likely just end up with them having to drop stuff so as not to create OP Baku/Genn decks and limited what they could do a load.

The doomguard thing is supposedly because they dont want warlocks to be able to deal on burst face damage to the point they can with doomguard.  Which is one thing, but the other was that for a charge minion it was really well statted and you could often play it without the drawback being that severe.  It never felt oppresive to the point where it felt like an issue, at least to me, but I can see the logic in removing it.

Right, I am focused now. Rank 5 reached with nearly 4 weeks to go, time to hit Legendary before everything cycles out. Rank 4 my best so far, got to be able to beat that this time...

Edit: winrate 58% and rising...

• Upvote 1

On 03/03/2019 at 19:47, shirubagan said:

If I craft Greymane I get the dust back and I get to keep the card, right?

Yes, and if you have the dust you may as well craft anything getting HoF'd that you don't already have as they're effectively free

• Upvote 1

What about if I craft golden baku now? Will I get 1600 + 3200 dust for having both versions of baku?

No. Found this on Metabomb. 

Hall of Fame dust refunds

When cards are moved into the Hall of Fame, Blizzard provides a pretty generous level of compensation for the retired cards in the form of crafting dust - and you even get to keep the cards too!

Here's how the whole process works:

Legendary cards

If you own both the Golden and the non-Golden version of the Legendary card in question, you will only receive compensation for the Golden version. Sorry folks, no doubling up is possible here.

Non-Legendary cards

If you own one Golden copy of a card and any number of non-Golden versions of it, you will receive dust equal to the value of the Golden version as well as one non-Golden edition.

If you own two Golden copies and any number of non-Golden versions, you will receive dust equal to the value of two Golden copies.

https://www.metabomb.net/hearthstone/gameplay-guides/hearthstone-hall-of-fame-guide-card-list-dust-refunds-and-more-2

• Upvote 2

New expansion announced - Rise of Shadows.  Releases April, will start a story that continues on through this standard year involving the league of EVIL, represented by certain classes, attempting to take over Dalaran.  Some things announced

- no new hero cards. With them rotating out they just want to leave it with the current ones for now.

- new keyword, Twinspell.  When you play the spell, you’ll get a copy of it without the keyword, effectively meaning you can play it twice, in effect meaning you can have four copies of it.  Only on spells it seems.

- some old mechanics and effects being bought back in or paid tribute to.  The ones shown so far are “forbidden” cards where you used all your mana for an effect (in this example, spend all your mana and destroy a minion with up to the attack of the mana spent - priest card), and the golden monkey effect has been put on a class legendary - Rafaam, a Warlock minion which just gives the effect without needing to jump through the hoops you had to to get the monkey.

- lackeys will be cards that can be generated from other cards, and are currently 1/1 minions with 1 mana and an effect, like Battlecry:deal 2 damage.  The pool of lackeys will increase over this standard year.

- scheme cards are spells that will have an effect that upgrades each turn its in your hand.  The example is a shaman spell that’s 5 mana and deals 1 damage to all minions, but the longer it’s in your hand, it gains an extra damage each turn.

Other noteworthy card revealed was the Mage legendary - Kalecgos, a 10 mana 4/12 dragon that makes the first spell you play each turn cost 0 mana, and has battlecry:discover a spell. Seems good enough to whack in most decks, the effect means you can play the spell you discover straight away, which can be super good if you get something like a pyroblast or a flamestrike. Or you can hold on to an expensive spell to ensure you get value from him regardless of what you discover.

What’s the best way to learn to play this game casually? I’ve played it on and off but never got any characters above level 10, so I don’t really know what I’m doing. 

Its a tricky one, because as much as the game is designed as a casual game that is supposed to be easy to dive into, there’s so much stuff now that it can be hard for a new player, especially as most players now copy their decks from websites and even at low ranks you’ll sometimes get someone using decks with multiple legendaries.  Plus what you can play is very much defined by your cards, and as a casual you’ll likely have a very limited amount.  It’s not like it used to be on release as well where you could often swap out cards reasonably well, with a few exceptions.  Now a lot of decks are based around synergies that become much weaker if you’re missing cards.  This puts a lot of the “fun” decks or powerful ones out of reach.  For example, my current fave deck to play (fave being as in fun, not wins the most, though it does alright) is a rogue deck based around stealing cards from your opponent.  The problem being it has 4 (if I remember right) legendaries, 2 of which are really quite important, and at least 4 epic cards that are more or less essential.  Thats a big barrier for a new player.

There are cheaper decks that are more accessible that you should have a look at trying, then just practicing with.  If you go on hearthpwn.net and then have a browse of popular decks there, they’ll have the crafting cost listed so you can see if its something that you could possibly build.  Also at least pick a class and get it to 10, as you’ll be missing spells that you get from doing that.  

When you say you don’t know what you’re doing though, how much do you mean?  As in, you know the basic rules, but dont know stuff like when its best to hit your opponent or hit their minions, or you aren’t sure what keywords on cards are and such?

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Its a tricky one, because as much as the game is designed as a casual game that is supposed to be easy to dive into, there’s so much stuff now that it can be hard for a new player, especially as most players now copy their decks from websites and even at low ranks you’ll sometimes get someone using decks with multiple legendaries.  Plus what you can play is very much defined by your cards, and as a casual you’ll likely have a very limited amount.  It’s not like it used to be on release as well where you could often swap out cards reasonably well, with a few exceptions.  Now a lot of decks are based around synergies that become much weaker if you’re missing cards.  This puts a lot of the “fun” decks or powerful ones out of reach.  For example, my current fave deck to play (fave being as in fun, not wins the most, though it does alright) is a rogue deck based around stealing cards from your opponent.  The problem being it has 4 (if I remember right) legendaries, 2 of which are really quite important, and at least 4 epic cards that are more or less essential.  Thats a big barrier for a new player.

There are cheaper decks that are more accessible that you should have a look at trying, then just practicing with.  If you go on hearthpwn.net and then have a browse of popular decks there, they’ll have the crafting cost listed so you can see if its something that you could possibly build.  Also at least pick a class and get it to 10, as you’ll be missing spells that you get from doing that.  

When you say you don’t know what you’re doing though, how much do you mean?  As in, you know the basic rules, but dont know stuff like when its best to hit your opponent or hit their minions, or you aren’t sure what keywords on cards are and such?

Thanks for this. A lot of not knowing what I’m doing comes down to strategy I guess, like you say whether to hit the opponent or their minions, whether to fill the board with cards or whatever. Deck building seems fairly inaccessible, although it’s possible to copy decks from websites, without experience, that seems to be a blind move without understanding the reasons for choosing those cards. Is it even worth spending money on card packs, or is FTP viable? Obviously it’s a proper game, so I’m not averse to spending a sensible amount on it as long as it’s not throwing it down the drain. 

Prioritise crafting Whizbang, as that effectively gets you 27 well-constructed Standard decks for free, and refreshes with each expansion. I've just realised today how much fun he is to use when new stuff comes out. 

Personally I don't spend any real money any more, but if you want to invest a bit then the pre-expansion deal is probably your best bet. 

Out of interest, do you mainly play on PC? 

21 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Thanks for this. A lot of not knowing what I’m doing comes down to strategy I guess, like you say whether to hit the opponent or their minions, whether to fill the board with cards or whatever. Deck building seems fairly inaccessible, although it’s possible to copy decks from websites, without experience, that seems to be a blind move without understanding the reasons for choosing those cards. Is it even worth spending money on card packs, or is FTP viable? Obviously it’s a proper game, so I’m not averse to spending a sensible amount on it as long as it’s not throwing it down the drain. 

As @Padster says, try to craft Whizbang, he is great fun to play. I've never paid for the game, I tend to rack up my gold with the daily quests and then buy a bunch of packs on release of a new expansion. Once cards rotate out of standard as well, I dust them as I don't play wild.

The changes they have made to Create a New Deck where you get it to complete it for you with is an improvement as well if you have not so many cards.

On 17/03/2019 at 12:34, GwiDan said:

Sorry, meant to reply to this before now.  If you search for Trumps Teachings on youtube, rather than get a racist president teaching you about ineffective ways to finance walls, you’ll get one of the big streamers tutorials.  They’re a bit old, but still mostly valid, and there are some general ones on there about things like board control which will be useful.

Now that the new cards are all revealed, I can see lots of Dr Boom warriors in the game soon.  The Dr Boom hero was already a staple in warrior, and the new Boom minion is so strong, and make the bomb shuffling package very worthwhile, that its not that hard to have 20-30 damage in bombs in your opponents deck waiting to fuck them up.  Plus playing the Boom minion when you have the Boom hero means the boombots have rush, so you can trigger them straight away (possibly) and wreck your opponent. It just seems like a deck that has some really OP plays, and they always seem popular.

Well the new expansion is out, sets have rotated out and Whizbang is a blinding deck to start with before everyone figures out some good decks. I've got about 20 packs to open that I've bought but I'll do that tomorrow. Am 3 for 3 with Whizbang in the last 20 minutes so I think I'll stick with that for a while.

This is when I really enjoy Hearthstone, when the perfectly crafted and shared decks are suddenly useless and we hit a bit of a reset button. I do reckon it'll only take until the weekend until I start getting slapped about by everyone again, but it's fun for a few days. I got one game using the pirate rogue recipe and it was pretty fun. I'm only a couple of cards short of being able to make it as well, so might start off with that.

• Upvote 2

Meh, 4 legends from 89 packs.

Rubbish

I think that bomb warrior might be this seasons cancer, I need to spend about 4,400k of dust to build it. Which I have after hall of fame but will wait a week or so and see how things settle though I think. 

58 minutes ago, And said:

Meh, 4 legends from 89 packs.

Rubbish

I think that bomb warrior might be this seasons cancer, I need to spend about 4,400k of dust to build it. Which I have after hall of fame but will wait a week or so and see how things settle though I think. 

Yep, not crafting anything until I see how it settles. I also dust all the rotated out cards, I never play wild, so this nets me a fair amount of dust as well. Takes an age mind you. Also saving some gold so I can get the solo play stuff without paying any money, though I am always rubbish at them

3 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Yep, not crafting anything until I see how it settles. I also dust all the rotated out cards, I never play wild, so this nets me a fair amount of dust as well. Takes an age mind you. Also saving some gold so I can get the solo play stuff without paying any money, though I am always rubbish at them

what? no, don't do that, that's crazy. 

I haven't spent anything on this since the grand tournament and still open like 80 packs each expansion, dust your spare gold cards instead, you might want to play wild or use them in brawls.

Just start saving your gold as soon as you open one more legendary so you've maxxed out the pity timer. by the time the next epac rolls around you'll have tons 

24 minutes ago, And said:

what? no, don't do that, that's crazy. 

I haven't spent anything on this since the grand tournament and still open like 80 packs each expansion, dust your spare gold cards instead, you might want to play wild or use them in brawls.

Just start saving your gold as soon as you open one more legendary so you've maxxed out the pity timer. by the time the next epac rolls around you'll have tons 

Did it last year as well. I don't play a massive amount, so I don't have a huge stock of cards anyway. Brawls I can pass on for a week but normally manage to get through even the wild ones, and Wild just doesn't interest me as I think it would take too long to figure out some decent decks. Honestly, I'm happy with the way I do it and see the game as a mild diversion with my morning coffee than something I play all the time, unlike at launch. At the moment I'm going back and trying to finish the Puzzle Labs solo stuff, I find that interesting.

I'm not one for "gotta have em all' in this which is weird because in other games, I'm all over trying to complete stuff!

So from my packs I got Rafaam, Staladris, and that neutral that replaces your deck with 5 discovered cards.  I also got the Paladin dragon that heals you both to full.  Due to quests, I’ve mostly played 4 decks, all of which have been really good.  The 2 I played most have token Druid, and Murloc Shaman.  I’ve included my current lists in case anyone is interested a bit below.  I’m sure they can be refined a bit, and the murloc one deffo has cards I’m messing with a bit, but they’ve worked pretty well for me so far.

First off, token druid

9CDC1B41-0AE3-4783-86E4-B1C58863EF57.thumb.jpeg.19b93c46c2c6017d622c630266daa5cb.jpeg

There would be 2 crystal song portals probably if I had two, not sure at the moment if its good enough for me to craft though.  Vargoth can be bonkers in this deck though, especially as you run loads of buffs and can create super sticky boards.  Getting a decent size board, drop him then play blessing of the ancients twice and you can almost hear your opponent crying.  Or soul of the forest.  Hes cheap enough to combo with so much stuff, even something like dream way guardians so you have 4 1/2 lifesteal tokens as a turn 6 play is pretty sweet.  

Next, murloc shaman

E95BBA9F-A39D-4E59-9696-DFF684EB5184.thumb.jpeg.35d54b92ebe5e12e03a059b5dea48548.jpeg

Scargil (which I crafted) and underbelly angler do so much to make this vialble now its unreal.  Angler in particulars ability to generate resources makes cards like ghost light angler actually pretty dame good because you’re now generating more cards fairly cheeply while still gaining a board.  Which you can then make sticky much like token driud with soul of the murloc now.  Its not quite as strong, but then the follow up with bloodlust can be.  If you have that minion that double casts the next spell as a battlecry, I’d probably add that in, as a soul of the murloc means you can get often keep enough minions on board to make a double bloodlust a play that could actually happen. The storm bringer is in there kind of because of that - you can hit lots with it.  That said, I’m just playing that as a fun card to see how well it works, a second bloodlust would almost certainly make more sense.

The other 2 decks I’ve played are mid range hunter and thief rogue.  Hunter is probably the best budget minded deck at the moment as you can build a very cheap to craft version.  That said, mine is running Zul’jin, as the amount of value you get from him is insane in this deck, especially now you have that twinspell card that summons a 5/5 rush minion.  It pretty much makes up for the loss of spellstone in some circumstances.  Thief rogue lost some really, really good cards like vilespine slayer, but the cards it gained may make up for it.  They’re good enough that the theif “package” will probably get run in rogue decks in general, and Hench Clan Burgler means that the mirror match up doesn’t make some cards a lot worst than every other match up now.  The loss of Valeera sucks though, mainly because she was fun.  

If you’re looking to ladder up though, token druid seems the deck to go with right now.  The other big deck that I can think of that I’ve not played is bomb warrior (and I dont think I will as well as its super expensive to craft and I have non of the expensive cards - I think I’d need at least 2 legendaries - both dr boom cards - and at least 4 epics, which are bomb generators) and I’ve not lost against one yet with druid. Could be luck, admittedly, and I think people will hate playing against the deck as it’ll feel bad to lose to.  Drawing bombs that kill you doesn’t really seem like you’re being beaten due to skill, i can see if feeling a bit cheap eventually, especially as once they’re in your deck, you cant really do anything - if they can get 6 in, which it seems isnt that hard to do, unless you’ve got some healing you’re basically on the clock to beat them first.  And Dr Boom with a load of boom bots that have rush thanks to the hero Boom witll be super annoying im sure.  Add that to warriors being able to outlast with a tonne of armour gain and I can see them being well frustrating at times.

• Upvote 1

I was just coming in to post Murloc Shaman – reminds me of Aggro Shaman when I first started playing.

Aggro Shamurloc

image.thumb.png.cee060450698503cef485ba8f60239bc.png

### Murloc

# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 2x (1) Grimscale Oracle
# 2x (1) Murloc Raider
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 1x (1) Sludge Slurper
# 1x (1) Toxfin
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Ghost Light Angler
# 2x (2) Murloc Tidehunter
# 2x (2) Soul of the Murloc
# 2x (2) Underbelly Angler
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 1x (3) Flametongue Totem
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Nightmare Amalgam
# 2x (4) Murloc Tastyfin
# 1x (4) Scargil
# 2x (5) Bloodlust

AAECAaoIBPAHtZgDxpkDnJsDDb8BxQPbA/4D4wXQB6cIkwnw8wLeggPiiQOMlAP0mQMA

I've noticed a _lot_ of taunt-based decks so far. Not very fun to play against. Fought a fair few Priests who have dropped Mosh'Ogg Enforcer (2/15, Taunt, Divine Shield), followed by Unsleeping Soul (Silence a minion, then summon a copy of it), followed by 2 x Inner Fire. Brutal.

Silence/res/taunt priest can be pretty harsh.  If their mass ress hits a few big health minions and even worse also hits Vargoth or Catarina so they get more minions, unless you can answer that they can often kill you next turn with inner fire/divine spirit.  Can be super annoying, but they can also be dead inconsistent and easy kills.  I killed one on turn 6 after he barely played anything and the minions he did play I either could clear with my considerably larger board or Earth shock sorted them out.  If they can get to the late game thought you’re usually screwed because the value they pump out ramps up.

I'm starting to get back in again since the new card year after not doing much over the last few expansions. Got a bit of dust from the changes as well so can afford a few legendaries now. I'm always scared to commit, though. What legendaries for this year will fit in well over multiple decks? I'm thinking Ziliax seems good. Anything else? I've already got Whizbang.

On 23/04/2019 at 10:57, James Lyon said:

I'm starting to get back in again since the new card year after not doing much over the last few expansions. Got a bit of dust from the changes as well so can afford a few legendaries now. I'm always scared to commit, though. What legendaries for this year will fit in well over multiple decks? I'm thinking Ziliax seems good. Anything else? I've already got Whizbang.

Strangely enough, I don't think there are any particularly must have Legendaries in the new set. The neutrals are all very situational, and only really fit in a few decks. Ziliax is pretty much the only neutral Legendary in rotation at the moment that is played in a lot of decks, but it is also not the kind of card that you build a deck around. It's definitely worth crafting, but expect to have to craft other cards to get a good deck.

This is also possibly the most balanced expansion in HS history. It looks like Blizzard learnt a lot from Baku and Genn. There isn't really a deck that's overly oppressive, and whilst there are a couple of decks that are really strong at the moment, I get the feeling that other decks will be better finetuned to either counter them or surpass them later on. The meta doesn't look particularly set in stone at the moment. That said, there are definitely certain decks and archetypes emerging. In terms of Legendaries, this is what you'll need to play certain decks.

Druid - Token Druid is a strong deck, and the most popular on ladder at the moment. It's a super aggro deck that just floods the board. It probably overwhelms bad players, but I find that it's not particularly consistent, and it's also very predictable so a mediocre player with an average deck shouldn't have too many problems beating it. Lots of lists run Keeper Stalladris, and whilst the card is strong, I don't think it's essential.

The other Druid deck that I think might be sleeper OP, but nobody has made a good version yet, is Heal Druid. You will definitely need Lucentbark for that, but nobody has figured it out properly yet so beast to avoid for now.

Mage - Conjuror Mage is probably the second strongest deck right now. It doesn't need Kalecgos, I know because it took me from rank 10 to 4 without it. It definitely needs Khadgar though. It also needs quite a few epic spells and minions, so is very expensive in dust terms even if you don't run Kalecgos. It's also a very skill intensive deck to play, so if you haven't played for a while expect to lose a lot until you figure the deck out. It is amazingly fun to play though. Just look at my post above yours for proof of that!

Hunter - Mech Hunter is strong, so Oblivitron is worth a craft if you want to play that. I haven't played the deck though so can't say much more. @RJames has played a lot of it I think so if you are interested he can probably help. Vereesa is just rubbish at the moment. Other than that, Secret Hunter and Mid-Range hunter are still solid decks, and relatively cheap to craft.

Paladin - Secret Paladin is bad. Heal Paladin is bad. Both the legendaries are not worth the dust. Poor Paladin.

Priest - Silence priest is a thing but it's decidedly average. Both of the Legendaries are strong but there aren't any decks yet that make them worth having. Funnily enough, the best Priest deck at the moment is Chef Nomi priest. It's a miracle deck that plays Gadgetzans, a whole bunch of low cost spells and card draw, and basically draws through the entire deck to get to Chef Nomi as soon as possible. It's maybe the cheapest deck in the meta as it only runs Nomi as its sole legendary. Worth checking out if you are strapped for dust.

Rogue - Rogue is probably the most powerful class right now. There are loads of variants as well. They are all fairly expensive, but there is a lot of variety, and a lot of them run classic legendaries you probably have (Leeroy, Edwin etc). They all, however, run Heistbaron Togwaggle. You can do some ridiculous stuff with that card and Togwaggles scheme. I had a game where I played 7 Leeroys for 0 mana for lethal against a warrior. I played a game where I put 12 Ziliax in my deck after playing Myras Unstable Portal against a Hunter and had them autoconcede. Again though, these decks are all incredibly hard to pilot. They will take a while to learn but are so worth it once you understand how they work.

Shaman - Murloc Shaman is your classic Murloc deck. If they can't remove your key cards you win, if they can, you lose. You can run Scargill, but it's by no means necessary, and you often get it from Underbelly Angler anyway so why bother? Swampqueen Hagath is good for Control Shaman, but the deck looks super boring to play so I have no idea if it needs it or not.

Warlock - Arch-Mage Rafaam is a meme card. You can put it in any deck and it'll do what it says. If you want to turn you deck in to random legendaries  then craft it. If you don't care, then don't. The other warlock legendary is trash. I think Warlock is the second weakest class after Paladin. Zoo still works, but I don't think it's very strong when Rogue, Mage and Warrior are all over the ladder.

Warrior - The most powerful Legendary in the game at the moment is definitely the Dr. Boom, Mad Genius. It's carrying control and bomb warrior at the moment. With the other DK cards being rotated out it's just absurdly strong. The Hagatha DK is the second most powerful legendary in the game but it pales in comparison to Dr Boom. If you want to play Warrior, definitely get this. If you want to play Bomb Warrior then Blastmaster Boom is good, but also not particularly necessary. Boom Reaver isn't worth it when you can just discover it from omega assembly and Dr. Booms hero power. If you've played a Control Warrior deck before than nothing has changed. You stall out the game forever and overwhelm them with ridiculous value cards. Same as it ever was. Bomb Warrior is very by the numbers. I've played a few games with both of them and they are strong, but they aren't particularly fun.

I can link to any of the decks I've mentioned if you're interested. I would thoroughly recommend investing in Rogue or Mage if you can.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

I can link to any of the decks I've mentioned if you're interested. I would thoroughly recommend investing in Rogue or Mage if you can.

Thanks for that. I was playing Murloc Shaman for a while, which is a lot of fun when it works. I don't have Scargill but Underbelly Angler is a great card to help with that.

Frustratingly, I couldn't push up above Rank 16, so I'm now trying Rogue. I got Heistbaron Togwaggle in a pack so I've built a deck around that, card draw and multiple lackey generators. I've never really used Rogue before but this looks like it's got potential.

Chef Nomi looks tempting. I'm not sure how much of a novelty it is though. I've only seen it once in the low ranks compared to Control Warrior which looks to be this season's Jade Druid or Quest Rogue, i.e. every second game, or so it seems.