IGNORED

Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

Just wanted to say something about Gus:

Spoiler

Don Eladio used the meeting as a way to honourably displace the useless (to him) Don Hector, by listing the reasons why he (Hector) was mistaken about Lalo. Whether the recollections are true are not are immaterial to him; he just wants Gus as he's a massive earner.

It was very telling that the two scary silent twins not only spoke, but spoke against Hector. They want to stay part of the organisation, and on Eladio's side.

The important thing about Gus was his making a decision to stay on Eladio's side, despite the reminiscence about Eladio murdering his business partner (and implied partner-partner!) as he looks into the water of the pool where he died.

The motion of the water is repeated in the motion of the wine in his glass when considering to make the sommelier part of his personal life.

Despite the fact he's a monster, it's a heart-breaking scene.

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

Pretty much. I was also surprised they didn't even touch on the mixed reaction to this episode.

I listened to the last two and they were pretty cool with lots of insight into the making of the show and how it all connected to BB and little Easter eggs they crammed in.

Those podcasts are recorded before the show airs. They never talk about audience reactions and even if they could, I don't think they would. It's more about how the sausage is made. I agree the last two were better, was mad hearing that Bob's heart attack happened during such a pivotal moment...

Spoiler

(bob and kim on sofa confronted by Lylo)

and had to take hundreds of photos and return to the scene a couple of months later with everything as it was.

41 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Those podcasts are recorded before the show airs. They never talk about audience reactions and even if they could, I don't think they would. It's more about how the sausage is made. I agree the last two were better, was mad hearing that Bob's heart attack happened during such a pivotal moment...

Hide contents

(bob and kim on sofa confronted by Lylo)

and had to take hundreds of photos and return to the scene a couple of months later with everything as it was.

Spoiler

Lylo

🤣

Next week's episode title has a nice reference to BB.

Spoiler

Title of the episode is literally Breaking Bad. Nice mirror to Saul's first episode in BB.

It's also written by Thomas Schnauz so we can expect some good comedic moments at least.

17 hours ago, Capwn said:

The thing is, lots of places sell cinnamon buns here. I've had cinnamon buns but the ones from cinnabon are the cheap crap full of endless sugar and icing. Why go to burger king when you have...I don't know...five guys? etc. Something like that.

Lol. The whole point of Cinnabon is the cheap crap sugar filled icing on top. It’s incredible, especially warm.

I score your review 1/5 which is a 0/5 using your scale.

On 27/07/2022 at 15:40, Treble said:

Just wanted to say something about Gus:

Hide contents

Don Eladio used the meeting as a way to honourably displace the useless (to him) Don Hector, by listing the reasons why he (Hector) was mistaken about Lalo. Whether the recollections are true are not are immaterial to him; he just wants Gus as he's a massive earner.

It was very telling that the two scary silent twins not only spoke, but spoke against Hector. They want to stay part of the organisation, and on Eladio's side.

The important thing about Gus was his making a decision to stay on Eladio's side, despite the reminiscence about Eladio murdering his business partner (and implied partner-partner!) as he looks into the water of the pool where he died.

The motion of the water is repeated in the motion of the wine in his glass when considering to make the sommelier part of his personal life.

Despite the fact he's a monster, it's a heart-breaking scene.

I watched the BB episode Box Cutter yesterday just to remind myself how evil Gus is. 

I was rewatching episode 9 and it occurred to me that…

Spoiler

with the downsizing of HHM and the rebranding, and removing the McGill name, Saul has put the final nail in the coffin of his brother’s legacy. Also, the stuff with his brother seems like a lifetime ago, almost like it hasn’t happened.

That’s the thing, really. 

Spoiler

Jimmy not only destroyed Chuck’s reputation and contributed pretty significantly to his death, he erased his legacy as well thanks to the vengeful prank he played on him. Which also poisoned people’s memory’s of Howard himself (including his widow’s picture of him), thanks to Kim covering her tracks at the memorial. They not only killed Howard and Chuck in the present, they wiped out their past as well  

Kim and Jimmy are loads of fun to be around, but they’re awful people. 

It was good. Just a small niggle ...

Spoiler

Walt and Jesse's return had a bit of a feel of a Saturday Night Live skit, like they were going through the "greatest hits" of what the characters are known for - Jesse pretending to know about science, for example. I know it must have been incredibly tempting to write it that way - fan service and all of that. It just seemed a bit noticeable because BCS is usually very subtle and understated and that was all a bit in-your-face. Was great fun to see the gang back together though. 

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

It was good. Just a small niggle ...

Hide contents

Walt and Jesse's return had a bit of a feel of a Saturday Night Live skit, like they were going through the "greatest hits" of what the characters are known for - Jesse pretending to know about science, for example. I know it must have been incredibly tempting to write it that way - fan service and all of that. It just seemed a bit noticeable because BCS is usually very subtle and understated and that was all a bit in-your-face. Was great fun to see the gang back together though. 

Spoiler

Normally fan service grinds my gears a bit, but I think this show has been so fantastic it's earned it.

Great episode. 

Spoiler

The beginning of the end. 

I was right last week - James McGill saw himself in that flash Saul Goodman shirt, felt the high of the con and became Slippin’ Jimmy all over again. 

There’s no happy ending for him. There never was. 

Every last morsel of this show tastes better and better. I don’t want it to end. 

@Popo - yep. My optimism in Jimmy's future was evidently naïve!

I really want to know 

Spoiler

If he managed to get through to Kim on the phone, and, if so, what they conversation was to trigger his reaction. I hope we get at least a bit of Kim in the final two episodes.

I have some more BB questions:

- How does Mike come to work for Saul? What happens to his relationship with Gus?

- What is Saul’s contribution to the Albuquerque meth scene, other than being Walt’s lawyer?

Long overdue a BB rewatch but there’s just too much new stuff coming all the time to go back!

That was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 

Regarding Kim...

Spoiler

What if he didn't actually get to speak to her? Initially I thought she had been put on the line and told him to fuck off. Maybe the news was she was dead. She had died in an "accident" but really the Cartel had killed her.

I don't want it to end. It's too good.

Many random scattered thoughts...

Spoiler

The black and white for the "present" is still such a brilliant stylistic choice

When Jimmy's ex employee said Kim asked about him: it was like a shot being fired directly out the screen into our hearts.

The barely heard argument on the phone with presumably Kim was such a tease though.

Then the relapsing to slipping Jimmy, but harder, harsher...

That shot that morphed from the empty grave to Jimmy lying on the bed, holy shit: couldn't be more obvious of what they're trying to make you think. But the thing is they also love misdirection in this show. They might have put such a big visual metaphor to throw us off, like they often do. Like we now see he's going off the deep end, with the episode laying on that relapse and sense of despair, but Kim hasn't shown up yet, it's all basically waiting for her

Kim is now filling the role of Lalo in some ways: when he was looming over so many episodes at the start of the season despite not actually being in them, but maybe as an "angel" in waiting this time rather than a devil. She represents the light for Jimmy, Lalo was the dark.

I think Lalo being mentioned in this as well and Jimmy going "that's not important" is partly so that they show it was still a major event for Jimmy that he hasn't forgotten about in Breaking Bad, but ALSO to poke fun at all the people online who got obsessed with trying to fit events to a throwaway line in Breaking Bad.

Also, for a moment I thought it WAS clips from BB. And I think know why: not just because it was in colour in contrast to the "present", but I think they must have used different cameras to Better Call Saul by the looks of it, as it "felt" different visually to Better Call Saul. So it would not surprise me if they used the cameras they used for Breaking Bad specially or something like that.

When Mike in the past tells him to not bother with Walter White, you see him get that look that means Jimmy wants something like a dog with a bone. Great subtle acting

I think the most interesting bit of the episode is that guy with the dog might be the first person I remember doing one of these scams and just going, nope, I'm out. Like, Jimmy hasn't exactly been surrounded by people who might have a conscience. Lawyers, lol.

Oddly enough this is now more like a side of Jimmy he showed once in a much earlier episode: he's brooding a bit and goes off on one about what they should do to a real asshole who is being a dick in a bar and to staff. And it starts to sound very dark, so Kim pulls him back from his daydream and says "but we'd never do it, right?"

For Jimmy it's an addiction, but he was often a functioning addict. When Kim got involved it was like someone who was just as wildly into the drug as he was, sometimes more so, but not an addict, she went off the deep end but was able to stop. For Jimmy he's an alcoholic who will always have the problem

So it's a good contrast when they were both scamming, in the sense that he knew his limits, she did not. But unlike him she didn't have this lifelong problem.

And now it's reaching breaking point. Breaking Bad.

Phew. It's SO DENSE.

Christ.

Spoiler

The moments Jimmy starts to use the same stuff Saul used. Like Mr. Hyde starting to peek through Dr. Jekyll again. This show gets incredibly dark with that shit.

Another thing that is very apparent:

Spoiler

Notice how there isn't anything "fun" about Jimmy's current scam either. It's simply making money from identity theft. Nothing that elaborate in planning, just drugging people and potentially ruining their lives.

In the cold light of black and white reality, he's just a seedy confidence trickster.