Better Call Saul!

Captain Kelsten

33 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Why did Lalo

Hide contents

murder the bloke with the scissors?

I assume that’s what it happened although it wasn’t shown.

Spoiler

He was made to be just like Lalo in case he needed a body that could pass for his own. It came to the point where he needed a body that could pass for his own. 

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

Okay it's the same for everyone it seems? Something about it not being able to be watched instantly?

Evening ruined. :angry:

Did you get it sorted? All fine here, maybe try logging out and back in to your Netflix account?

That was really good. Everyone is looking a little bit long in the tooth - it’s getting closer and closer to being a kind of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel with guns - but the writing and performances are so good, as is the cinematography. 

I spent a good while before the episode reading through the Wikipedia summaries of the previous two seasons, as I’d never have been able to remember the various plotlines and intrigues. Maybe I’m getting a bit long in the tooth as well. 

The 80s/90s setting means this show is taking place around the time of Take That (Relight my Fire) and Tellytubbies.  Lalo should escape to the beach and see if he can have a beer with a  showgirl.

Basically I'm wanting to see Lalo on a lilo with Lulu, Lala and Lola, and a lager.

7 hours ago, Gambit said:

My Netflix has apparently shit the bed and is telling me I can't watch the new episodes. Fucks saaaaaake.

I had that for a moment around the time you posted, but just put it down to a weird glitch as it first tried to load into the Chuck testimony meltdown that I’d apparently rewatched at some stage. Worked minutes later, not that it’s much help to you now.

Spoiler

Of course he had a gold toilet. It’s almost a shame we won’t get to see BB from Jimmy’s perspective. I’m sure that lore will be explored by someone elsewhere.

Watched ep 1 last night. 

Highlights were.

Spoiler

Lalo stealthily making a shiv out of scissors and butchering two people who were obviously loyal to him. He's a psychopath in the truest sense. I'd forgotten how genuinely dangerous he is.

Spoiler

Jimmy's little bum crack in the golf club and his anti-Semitism grift.

Low-lights.

Spoiler

The twins. They're like comedy super-hero villains. 

The opening montage was great. It was what I imagine Donald Trump moving out to be like. 

13 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

Oh wow I did not get that at all! I'd better pay attention next time. 

Me either, but it makes perfect sense now.

Spoiler

That's why he was asking about his teeth too... 😬

I had to pause episode 2 at one point and let my understanding of events catch up with the screen. Starting to think I’m not smart enough for this show.

Am I right in the following?

Spoiler

Gus wants Nacho dead to prevent anyone finding out he was working for him - so Mike planted the invoice with the phone number of the motel Nacho was at in Nacho’s safe, so that the Salamancas would find him and… kill him? Bit risky isn’t it?

Yet they only noticed the flaw in the plan after learning Lalo is not dead, at which point they realize they have to prevent the Salamancas from finding him, even though they just told them where he is.

Either I am stupid or that plan is stupid. Probably the former so what am I missing?

46 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I had to pause episode 2 at one point and let my understanding of events catch up with the screen. Starting to think I’m not smart enough for this show.

Am I right in the following?

Hide contents

Gus wants Nacho dead to prevent anyone finding out he was working for him - so Mike planted the invoice with the phone number of the motel Nacho was at in Nacho’s safe, so that the Salamancas would find him and… kill him? Bit risky isn’t it?

Yet they only noticed the flaw in the plan after learning Lalo is not dead, at which point they realize they have to prevent the Salamancas from finding him, even though they just told them where he is.

Either I am stupid or that plan is stupid. Probably the former so what am I missing?

You're definitely not on your own. Even the writers who are paid to follow the series are struggling a bit:

Spoiler

All the below is from: https://episodicmedium.substack.com/p/review-better-call-saul-wine-and?s=r

If you didn’t review your notes from 2020 (or even if you did), you’ll be hard pressed to keep up.

Let’s start with Nacho, because frankly this was confusing. Here are the facts: Tyrus (Gus’s lieutenant) directs him to a motel, where a room, clothes, and a gun are waiting for him. He’s supposed to stay there for a few days, having his meals delivered, until he can hop a farm truck to be smuggled back across the border. But Bolsa vows an all-out effort to capture Nacho. Mike wants to try retrieving him, but Gus needs to tie up loose ends. So Mike and Tyrus plant a clue in Nacho’s apartment for Bolsa to find: an envelope showing a funds transfer from Peru (directing attention to some rival gang as the engineers of the Lalo plot) and the phone number of the motel.

Now here’s where I found it hard to follow. The idea seems to be to set up a situation where the Salamancas will kill Nacho. To that end, Tyrus tells Nacho not to leave the room and shoot anyone who comes to the door; in the ensuing gunfight, if Nacho is desperate enough to fight to the death rather than submit to capture and torture, he’s sure to be killed. (Seems like a less-than-foolproof plan, especially since the Lalo adventure just went south.) But Nacho notices a man strolling around a boarded-up building with water dripping from the A/C unit -- somebody’s in there watching him. He kicks out his own A/C to escape, confronts the watcher, and confirms -- by calling Tyrus to say he was leaving the motel, at which point the watcher’s phone buzzes -- that it’s Gus that is trying to make sure he stays put. Believing he’s been betrayed, Nacho makes a break for it in a hotwired truck just as the Cousins and their forces swoop down on the motel. And they’re so determined to take him alive that they shoot one of their own men.

So if I’m reading this correctly … it was not a very good plan. Perhaps it hinges on Gus misunderstanding Nacho’s initiative and instincts. Whatever the disconnect, it sure does rely on a pretty long chain of inferences about who will do what in the situation Gus and Tyrus engineered, and whaddya know, that chain breaks down. At least the collapse is slam-bang, with Nacho blazing two pistols through his own windshield and the Cousins stepping aside calmly, like bullfighters, as the truck barrels past with inches to spare. The truck crashes, and that’s where we leave that scene. But later Nacho calls Mike, who is in a standoff with Tyrus in Gus’s office, and upon hearing Mike say that something is “not my call,” he demands to speak to Gus directly. Will we see him wriggle away from the Cousins one more time, or is he in their power?

It was great but I definitely needed to go to recaps like the above to understand certain things.

16 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Also the insider podcasts are out :D 

Ah yeah I forgot about those, been listening to them since the BreakingBad ones. Full of fascinating reveals into the making of the show. 

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

the plan is a bit stupid but I think it's on purpose. Gus is an arrogant fuck,

Spoiler

Mike flat out tells him he should respect Nacho and he just blows him off. 

he thinks he's the only one capable of using any restraint

Spoiler

Nacho was given a gun and told to shoot anyone who comes through the door so that's what Gus expects him to do. He's smarter than that
The Salamancas only want blood so Gus expects they'll just kill Nacho but the Godskin Duo are smarter than that.

They have been in the promo videos and marketing too.  I love how the husband is always 5 seconds behind his wife, changing what he's about to say to agree with her. And how they talk about their good name and reputation when they're crooks. 

And Jimmy turning the Sandpiper residents against their friend is still one of the most genuinely horrible things he's done. It's not until that point that you realise how indifferent he might actually be to people suffering from his tricks.

I'm really struck this time around how sad

Spoiler

Chuck's fate is. The build-up knowing what's about to happen is horrible. Despite being almost as much of an asshole as Jimmy at times, he obviously really needed help.

Somehow I thought this was back on the 26th but tonight found out they were already on Netflix, I have to be up early so could swing one episode and then head off to bed - at the end of the day there is no way they can keep up the quality for a 6th Covid interrupted season is there…

Obv Ive watched both episodes and they are incredible, that desert shot was the cherry on an incredible cinematography cake - I’m pretty sure my jaw was on the floor as you cut from perfectly framed shot to perfectly framed shot, its just beautiful :wub:

I just love this show, I’m pretty sure the first two episodes of this season are the best thing ive watched since the last episode and ive watched a lot of stuff between seasons!