rllmuk
Doctor Shark

Better Call Saul!

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

They really get how to do tension in this show, don’t they? It’s not about surprises that come out of nowhere. It’s about having all the information to hand, sometimes more than the characters. Like when Nacho goes out to the gate at just before 3am and finds Lalo sitting there. He needs to get that gate open. But how? Must admit, the actor who plays Nacho is great at showing a lot whilst saying very little. I think my stomach was tightening into a knot just as much as his appeared to be during that scene.

A lot of the time I find myself watching his eyes. There's something really vulnerable there and Nacho occasionally looks like he's almost on the brink of tears. Very tightly wound but understated at the same time. I didn't think much of Nacho at first but I find him compelling now.

I have a horrible feeling that Tuco will be sent after him in the next series.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone else think that

Spoiler

When Lalo is waiting by the fire for Nacho, Lalo had arranged for the call that Nacho had received to check whether he'd been betraying him? I was convinced that it was all a ruse and that Lalo had duped Nacho, playing on his naiveté. As entertaining as it was to watch Lalo go into Rambo mode, I almost think that THAT ending, with Lalo quietly having Nacho killed, would have been more scary. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Did anyone else think that

Hide contents

When Lalo is waiting by the fire for Nacho, Lalo had arranged for the call that Nacho had received to check whether he'd been betraying him? I was convinced that it was all a ruse and that Lalo had duped Nacho, playing on his naiveté. As entertaining as it was to watch Lalo go into Rambo mode, I almost think that THAT ending, with Lalo quietly having Nacho killed, would have been more scary. 

Yeah, it crossed my mind alright but I thought not, considering a conversation that was had between Saul and Mike earlier on in the show. It would have been great if it did turn out like that though. 

One random question about the call in question:

How does someone ensure that you can get reception for a specific phone call and then turn it off again? Mobile cell antenna? I thought that was pretty cool, if a bit deus ex machina.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

One random question about the call in question:

Hide contents

How does someone ensure that you can get reception for a specific phone call and then turn it off again? Mobile cell antenna? I thought that was pretty cool, if a bit deus ex machina.

Spoiler

Mobile cells for temporary coverage are certainly a thing. I have no idea how small they get though. Sounds feasible for it to be small enough to carry if you just want a very low number of phones.

Now that I think of it, didn’t Vodafone (and presumably others) have some kind of small box to give coverage in a home where there is bad coverage? Before wi-fi calling existed.

If the network coverage is a bit spotty and the Cartel tell you to keep redialing until you get through - you do it until you get through. 

Fucking S-tier series. Stunning.

• Upvote 1

Vince Gilligan told Rolling Stone that he didn’t want Lalo in the show when the idea was first floated. He pushed back against it. But he admits he’s been proven wrong and is embarrassed by his original position. 

• Upvote 2

Having never really taken in Breaking Bad that much I'd failed to appreciate that both Nacho & Lalo don't appear at all in it, both just get single mentions by Saul and the whole of this is spun out from those mentions.

I do love what they've done with the last episode here

Spoiler

for several seasons the discussion has all been about what Jimmy is going to do to poor Kim, and now its potentially turned totally on its head. But it's not unrealistic and a total about turn, it was kind of sitting there in plain sight the whole time. Very clever and I don't buy that interview claiming they didn't have a bigger plan and the story just emerges from the characters as they go along. 

• Upvote 1

Regarding Kim

Spoiler

Last night I watched and while she was picking up public defence cases, I started to wonder if the reason she's not around isn't because of Jimmy's delving into the world of crime, but rather something that happens on the straight and narrow path. Something that'd mean Jimmy would have no reason to resent his paymasters, but instead be further convinced that the world is fucked, there are no good guys, and that steady work with the cartel is preferable to scraps.

Then at the end, of course, it seems Kim's completely on board with the idea of pulling another scam, and it seems more likely that's what will happen. This being the show it is, though, I remain prepared to have all my theories blown out of my arse.

Nacho survives, he has to. He will set up Lalo in some way. Lalo ends up in prison, Nacho escapes to Rook Islands, changes his name to Vaas Montenegro and becomes a pirate. This means the events of Farcry 3 come between Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.  

a40758d32535b8db963f0b657f9f94e4.jpg

• Upvote 3

Has there been any talk of a sequel to BCS, set after the events of BB, in the black and white 'present', so to speak? The creators have shown that they're not averse to doing this with El Camino, so I wouldn't count it out, and they wouldn't have to worry about the actors looking a lot older than they're supposed to be.

Vince G had been rather insistent about doing something completely new once this is done but he has also said that theoretically if there were to be another, it would have been based around Kim.

• Upvote 1

On 24/04/2020 at 08:50, Gotters said:

Having never really taken in Breaking Bad that much I'd failed to appreciate that both Nacho & Lalo don't appear at all in it, both just get single mentions by Saul and the whole of this is spun out from those mentions.

I was really surprised to find that Nacho wasn’t in BB - I was sure I’d recognised him at the beginning of BCS.

It’s barely mentioned, but the main thing this series lacked for me was more Cinnabon action.

The one sequence we had was simply fantastic. And then they just never went back to it. Leaving Jimmy deciding to personally resolve being rumbled.

Makes sense that the resolution to that decision would come in S6, but felt like they could have done more with the set up in S5. Wonder if Forster’s passing was a factor...

• Upvote 1

The Gene storyline always is just one scene at the start of a season though. 

I guess that will change in season 6 at some point. 

Is it? Odd, I thought recent series had more Gene episodes. And having just checked on the wiki you are of course correct. Well, I want more dammit!! 

To much amusement of my girlfriend, I had thought this series would be the last, and was wondering how the hell they'd tie everything up in the final episode. Turns out there's at least another series planned.

She (more than I) didn't like the behaviour of Kim especially in the last episode. But, the whole series, is superb. Probably better than Breaking Bad though it's easy to say that now.

I have to say I think my favourite moment of the series as a whole so far was Mike and Werner taking that long walk together at the end of season 4. It was heartbreaking to watch, absolutely heartbreaking. Mike says more with his eyes than most do with their mouths, the man is stone cold but inside is just a melting pot of emotion. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Popo said:

I have to say I think my favourite moment of the series as a whole so far was Mike and Werner taking that long walk together at the end of season 4. It was heartbreaking to watch, absolutely heartbreaking. Mike says more with his eyes than most do with their mouths, the man is stone cold but inside is just a melting pot of emotion. 

That was also bloody great. Loved Werner, and the misdirection throughout the season that Kai would obvs be the one at the end of a grisly fate. Part of the brilliance of BCS is that it defies expectations at every turn, but 99.9% of the twists are earned and work in retrospect, rather than feeling like arbitrary leaps of logic just for shock value.

• Upvote 2

Remember the S3 episode where Jimmy was broke and at his lowest ebb, and effectively snapped and became colder and nastier? There's a bit with him and Kim in a bar eyeing up some rich arsehole and he coldly tells her what kind of guy that is and how their scam can play out. Kim goes along with it until she realises how increasingly nasty and spiteful Jimmy is sounding, at which point she nervously says "yeah but we're not actually going to do this, are we?"

The under the covers scene in the last ep is basically a reversal of it, right down to Jimmy saying the same thing to her this time. I dread where this is going next season, truly dread.

• Upvote 1

For a prequel - we only the know the final fate of 2 of out the 6 (7 if you add Howard) principal characters from the last series.

Gus and Mike's play out in BB, but Lalo, Kim, Nacho and Howard's fates remain unknown and then what actuary happens to Jimmy post BB.

• Upvote 1

Finally all caught up. Fucking outstanding television, but Kim's marriage to Jimmy was just a bit too far fetched, even for me. That said, the following episodes rolled with that in such a way that made it believable. Can't wait for the next series. 

INteresting to go back to Breaking Bad, especially the first episodes with Mike.  He comes across as the slow drawling, "Just leave me here to die, Walter", his delivery is slow, stoic, but if you go back you can see how the actor (now in his mid 70s) has aged so much.  He's way more action based, and you don't remember it because he's so consistent.... does that make sense?

Yea I totally get what you mean @dumpster, he is just so good at selling it that you as a viewer can readily accept that the older actor is playing a younger version of the character. 

Yes. If you watch the Breaking Bad at the time, then followed up with Better Call Saul, you have the feeling that Mike has been consistent all along. He's the same character delivering the lines in that slow, sardonic tone. But if you go back and watch one of the early episodes of Breaking Bad you can really see how much has changed. It's about 10-12 years since he started the role as a veteran actor in his 60s. Now he's 72 to and you can tell how he has adapted his character into something quite different. There's a lot less running, dialogue is slower, and he hasn't jumped over a fence in a while, but the character is so strong and the acting performance is so good that you don't see it.

• Upvote 1

Fuuuuuuuuck, just finished S5. How am I meant to wait a year for this stuff?!

Perfect TV and I think Kim may be the most complex character in a show ever. Brilliantly written but even more perfectly played. So layered and so much going on in every scene. With Lalo in their apartment, with Howard at the courthouse, with Jimmy in the hotel room and alone on her office she is just riveting to watch.

The fuck am I supposed to watch now...?

• Upvote 1