IGNORED

Peaky Blinders

Stigweard

It's bleak ennit?  I'm also not a fan of the sexy Nazi sex lady.  She's revolting (in more than one way).  It's just a pile of hideous.  How are they going to dig a movie out of this?

I think the whole series has been unwatchable drivel. So much so we switched off an episode and a half back and may just read recaps to finish it.

The story has now taken a total back seat in every episode to the trademark moody slo mo shots set to music, to the degree there is often very long gaps with no dialogue at all. But many of those shots have had to be filmed in what looks like the height of summer, so the sky is bright blue and the filters they use are fighting to make it look moody with a bit of smoke added in, but it often looks really odd. 

The acting and accents have always been patchy but it got away with it with a swaggering style, now we just found it incredibly tedious and annoying, so turned it off.

I don't really think it's THAT bad but it's just had it's day in my eyes.  Many series go on far far too long so I'm glad it's ending and hoping for some sort of satisfactory conclusion.  I like the long gaps in places, maybe too much style over substance, but I did wonder when watching last night what the majority of people watching would think of these long drawn shots.

Caught up with episode 5. I have enjoyed this series but don’t feel it has quite hit the heights of earlier series.

Spoiler

I am loving Mystic Esme and the whole Duke subplot.

Stephen Graham is excellent as expected, brilliant to see him acting opposite Cillian Murphy and matching him for stillness and economy. Makes it even more menacing - I fully expected his name to be carved on the bullet, and I wasn’t disappointed.

But - the clock intro to this episode aside - I don’t know if we needed the Arthur on junk subplot.

I find it is at its weakest when dealing with the real-life figures. Churchill felt odd and awkward, Moseley and Diana Mitford have become very stereotyped/cartoon-like in portrayal.

I love the style, and I'm shallow as hell, but I also really hate it when things go on too long. I sort of want this to go on longer, because I really love a bit of Nick Cage or PJ Harvey (especially on a Sunday night when it's most needed), but yeah - It's a good time for it to end. It's always been as daft as arseholes - I just hope it goes out on a preposterous high note. :)

Wait, what? That very end bit…?

Spoiler

That felt a bit cheap. And if he wasn’t sick, WTF was the seizures or whatever?

At least we had a final dose of Alfie fucking Solomons. 

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

I felt the last episode was fine, but far too much left open and all a bit too convenient (without any spoilers). The whole season had an air of making it up as you go along. 

Isn't that because there is supposed to be a film and possibly a spin-off show?

On 03/04/2022 at 22:27, JohnC said:

Wait, what? That very end bit…?

Reveal hidden contents

That felt a bit cheap. And if he wasn’t sick, WTF was the seizures or whatever?

At least we had a final dose of Alfie fucking Solomons. 

Well, it could be

Spoiler

The fact Tommy doesn’t sleep, or all the trauma from the trenches, or the repeated blows to the head... there are many other explanations that it could be.

Really enjoyed the last episode, a couple of clever twists and I loved

Spoiler

The shootout in the fog outside the Garrison, particularly Arthur’s line “We’re still in France”.

Johnny Dogs line “I’ll go look at the fog” was a classic too.

Duke was ace, so was Uncle Charlie.

Not so much wrapping up loose ends, more setting up explosives and tripwires for the future!

They also foreshadowed the ending with Alfie Solomons’ line about Tommy trying being dead...