rllmuk
Stigweard

Peaky Blinders - New Season 25th August 9pm BBC1

Interesting series overall. It felt almost like a soft reboot of the show really, maybe now they know they're aiming for 7 series and have an end in sight. It introduced a lot of new elements and left most of them unresolved, as well as a surprising number of callbacks to earlier series which isn't really something the show has done before (each series has been mostly self-contained). This feels like the first part of what will probably turn out to be a three-series arc, so it's kind of hard to judge on its own merits other than feeling slightly unfulfilling right now because so much was left hanging.

My main frustrations are that it'll probably be two years until the next series, and Peaky time moves on in line with real time, so we'll never get to see the immediate fallout of the events in last night's episode. It feels like it needed at least one more week to address everything that happened. I really wish the budget could stretch to more than 6 episodes each time, it's such a dense show with so much going on and you could easily spend more time with all of these characters.

Overall it looks like the structure of the show is going to be 2 seasons of Major Campbell, 2 seasons of racial stereotypes (Russians and Italians) and 3 seasons of Politics and Fascists, but of course it might yet surprise us all. I wonder if they're building up to the Battle of Cable Street, I can see Arthur having a great time at that one.

• Upvote 1

That was the last episode?! I thought we were mid way through the series or something.

I’m only a casual watcher, I didn’t know there were only six. I missed last week’s as well.

I've really enjoyed the latest season, although it has been especially bleak! Arthur and the Quaker was horrible.

Agree with other posters that it felt like the end of a penultimate episode rather than the final one. 

Must say though, how fucking amazing was Claflin as OzzieMozzie?

Aside from being far too handsome, he just nailed that confidence and presence, whether talking quietly and ominously, delivering his speeches, goose-stepping and saluting, or just fucking a swan.

Mesmerising, series-stealing performance.

• Upvote 2