rllmuk

Peaky Blinders - New Season 25th August 9pm BBC1

On 14/12/2017 at 10:18, Naieve said:

Good fun this week, I liked Michael's (I always think he's called Simon for some reason) reaction to having to go hang out with the Gypsies and the great Hardy/Brody scene. Less so Polly and Wurzel's creepy romance.

What? That was the best bit of the episode! As Poll’s scenes usually are.

Great episode all round though, really enjoyed that one. Although how the Chiangretta duo managed to escape out of that spot crawling with cops is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they shimmied up a lightning flash like in Big Trouble In Little China.

• Upvote 1
On 14/12/2017 at 18:55, merman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Tommy did know - but it doesn't matter now Alfie Solomons is going to betray him.

Awesome

Or maybe it's a double cross and Solomon has tipped off Shelby?

hmm, I thought that was all a bit meh

Spoiler

it was so obvious that Arthur wasn't dead and it was a plot ruse, and then we get the last minute intervention of characters in the US that have been barely mentioned all the way thru to save the day.

I think the 6 ep structure has really harmed this series, it set up some good stories then felt it had to rush thru them to finish them off

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gotters said:

hmm, I thought that was all a bit meh

Hide contents

it was so obvious that Arthur wasn't dead and it was a plot ruse, and then we get the last minute intervention of characters in the US that have been barely mentioned all the way thru to save the day.

That's Peaky Blinders all over though. Hasn't every season had plot twists that had no signposting in any previous episodes? Totally unsatisfying way to deal with plot strands. The writers aren't nearly clever enough (or do enough forward planning) to do these sorts of plot twists as well as they think they can. Like the handwaving away of the executions at the start of this season with a letter he conveniently stole in the crime caper last season? Yeah, ok, sure, whatever, let's just forget about that and get on with the new story.

Still all that aside it's still a pretty enjoyable watch.

5th season is confirmed but not until 2019 - i'd read that they want to take it up to the start of WWII but aren't sure they can do all that in just 6 eps, so it may get a 6th final season to tie it all up. 

I imagine its a show where scheduling of actors is hard and you can kind of feel that in how sparingly Wurzel Gummidge and Adrien Brody were used this run.

Well I thought that was fucking brilliant!

Spoiler

I totally bought Le Morte D’Arthur. Loved the Changretta comeuppance, and intrigued by Tommy becoming Right Honourable Member for Small Heath. 

Fantastic, fantastical stuff.

Also big shout out to the amazing use of music in that Ep. Radiohead  sequence was really well done.

Spoiler

I don't even think they tried to sell that Arthur death at all, one of if not the best character in it croaks in a short scene then has funeral a couple of mins later, that alone told you he wasn't dead - it was a pretty rushed/lazy plot device, and they'd even used a gypsy funeral earlier in the series as a smokescreen.

I fell for it too, mostly because they'd already offed John Boy earlier in the season so no-one felt safe any more. And it seemed like the obvious way to tip Tommy over the edge.

I thought the episode overall was brilliant, and it was easily the best series of Peaky Blinders too. Such a good show.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...