rllmuk
Stigweard

Peaky Blinders - New Season 25th August 9pm BBC1

Christ, that last episode was bloody brilliant. What a stunningly dramatic and tense scene out in that ploughed field. Best series of any British drama I can remember.

Hats off to writer/director Steven Knight. Give the man a Bafta and another bloody series. And yeah, get Tom Hardy signed up for a bigger role.

It's been fucking traumatic but me and the missus have managed to hold off watching Season 2 until we had the full thing recorded. Day off work on Tuesday and we are going to plough through the whole thing. Could potentially be the best day of the year.... and that is even with us getting married last month :D

• Upvote 2

Christ, that last episode was bloody brilliant. What a stunningly dramatic and tense scene out in that ploughed field. Best series of any British drama I can remember.

Hats off to writer/director Steven Knight. Give the man a Bafta and another bloody series. And yeah, get Tom Hardy signed up for a bigger role.

I read Hardy filmed all his scenes in 6 hours. That guy must have one hell of a schedule.

Couldn't post anything yesterday as was still pulling myself together following Tuesdays full season 2 marathon. Fuck me!! So many stand out moments and an absolutely epic finale. I watched the last 10 minutes standing up because I was so tense. Incredible stuff!!

Delighted to see it renewed for a 3rd season and long may it continue.

• Upvote 3

Yep, as have said before, and will take any excuse to say again, it was bleeding glorious.

That last ep made we want to stand up at the end and in my best Arthur Shelby scream "Peaky Fucking Blinders!!!"

• Upvote 2

Burned through the first two seasons over the weekend via US Netflix and really enjoyed this, really came into it's own in the second season.

Hardy was brilliant; he played that unhinged, wide-eyed, nervous volatility to a tee. You really didn't know how he was going to react to a situation, which was a nice juxtaposition to Cillian Murphy's calm demenour.

Always glad to see Noah Taylor in stuff as well, enjoyed his role in this and more recently, Predestination.

• Upvote 3

Agree with all that except Noah Taylor. Thought he was terrible, miscast, totally unthreatening, and too wobbly of accent. Normally like him, but not at all in this. For me, he was the only bum note in the whole thing.

It does flit from a bad Italian accent to cockney at a moments notice, but have preferred him as a villain to Charlie Creed-Miles' character from the first season.

Season 3 started off quite poorly. It tried too hard to act all laddish in the first 10 mins talking about coke and hooliganism. The Russian connection was rushed and not clearly explained and it all just felt a bit boring. It picked up towards the end though once the story kicked in and the wedding was finishing. 

A gripe of mine which has carried on from previous seasons is the appalling soundtrack. Not only is it too loud, but the songs aren't particularly great and they totally take you out of the 1920s setting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Scratching around for something to watch with most of our shows recently finished popped the first episode of this on netflix.

Very striking opener and certainly wetted the appetite for more - I sense another binge coming on to catch up with the new season

Just smashed two seasons in two days (yeah - I have flu).

I'm a Brummy (but not by trade) and I think it's turned me a little bit racist against anyone who basically was never forced to do gamboles at school.  Especially soft Southern bastards (with whom I seem to mostly associate with).

It's ace isn't it?  Grim, threatening, sexy, modern.   I imagine it's amazingly easy to paradody and I don't know how it will age but I've enjoyed the heck out of it.

• Upvote 2

On 5 May 2016 at 11:41 PM, the_debaser said:

Season 3 started off quite poorly. It tried too hard to act all laddish in the first 10 mins talking about coke and hooliganism. The Russian connection was rushed and not clearly explained and it all just felt a bit boring. It picked up towards the end though once the story kicked in and the wedding was finishing. 

A gripe of mine which has carried on from previous seasons is the appalling soundtrack. Not only is it too loud, but the songs aren't particularly great and they totally take you out of the 1920s setting. 

I disagree - I find the modern music works better. It's often more dramatic than period pieces would be. Although, yes, there are times when it is too high in the mix, but that seems to be a flaw of all drama productions recently.

• Upvote 1

This has been commissioned for a further two seasons by BBC2

I suspect they intend to take the Shelby's to prohibition era America, giving it a more international feel and opening up the opportunity to bring in some big names.

• Upvote 2

Well that was an interesting end to season 3. A cracking romp, though not up to the standards of S2.

I do think it really missed Sam Neil as the Shelby nemesis, though Considine did a fine job as the big bad.

Highlight for me was watching the journey of young Michael 'Corleone' Shelby (Gray) as he's risen from pen-pushing-accountant to cold-blooded-bad-ass through the last couple of series. Finn Cole is a cracking actor.

Edit: Had no idea he was the brother of Joe Cole who plays John Shelby. Cool.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

When Tommy was standing next to a ploughed field at the end of the episode, I was getting flashbacks to the end of season 2 - I expected to see an open grave...

Clever twists at the end. Loved how Cillian Murphy played the scenes where he doubted the family and then paid out the takings.

Finished series 3 last night, highly enjoyable. I'd happily watch an hour of the Shelby boys putting on their coats and swaggering up the street in slow motion to Nick Cave songs. I loved when the ladies had their turn doing it.

Paddy Considene was terrifying. Priests and shit give me the fear at the best of times, the scene where he was chasing kids in a park needed a warning beforehand.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, _Pow_ said:

Paddy Considene was terrifying. Priests and shit give me the fear at the best of times, the scene where he was chasing kids in a park needed a warning beforehand.

I can't believe they killed him off - he was easily the best thing about series 3 and should have been given the chance to live just like Sam Neil's character.

On 5 May 2016 at 23:41, the_debaser said:

We we have just finished watching season 3 and this nearly spoiled it for me. I don't remember it being this bad previously but the music was so loud it really dominating things and was totally out of context. 

I also think there was perhaps two twists too many at the end. 

I still enjoyed it though. Looking forward to to fourth season and hopefully a spinoff:

Spoiler

Arthur and the Apaches. 

I watch it with subtitles anyway because of the mumbling.

I'd avoided this for so long because of the terrible name, but we finally gave in earlier this year and are properly up to date now, it's the bollocks. Personally I loved the first series, proper gritty and the struggle against the other small-time gangs was great viewing. 

Adrien Brody has joined the new season. No details on his role, but Stephen Knight said he had Brody in mind when writing the part.

Once I got used to the appalling accents, I've loved binge watching this. Finished series 3 last night so I'm all ready for the new series. 

I love the style of the whole thing - the brilliant cinematography and the music just add to the atmosphere. Love it. 

11 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Once I got used to the appalling accents, I've loved binge watching this. Finished series 3 last night so I'm all ready for the new series. 

I love the style of the whole thing - the brilliant cinematography and the music just add to the atmosphere. Love it. 

They're particularly egregious when you're from Birmingham. It's like listening to Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins. 

Exactly - I'm from the Black Country but have worked in Brum city centre for 12 years.

Fortunately the acting is so good otherwise so they get away with it!